First rifle for new shooter - .17 WMR? 22 Mag?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: First rifle for new shooter - .17 WMR? 22 Mag?

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2018, 7:18 pm

bigrich wrote:hey in2anity, the 17 that interests me is 17 hornet. flatter shooting than 223 and mpbr out to near 250 yards. although i found a online review from a brit site we're their consistantly shooting at 300 ! rem 17 used to be the bees knees when i was a kid, that's for sure.

Yep, if I ever decide I want a .17 it'll be the Hornet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Jan 2018, 7:26 pm

bigrich wrote:hey in2anity, the 17 that interests me is 17 hornet. flatter shooting than 223 and mpbr out to near 250 yards. although i found a online review from a brit site we're their consistantly shooting at 300 ! rem 17 used to be the bees knees when i was a kid, that's for sure.

handloading will save you considerable money for the 17 hornet, factory is getting real pricy. and they are no good in windy conditions; when I was a kid I used one only at dawn when conditions were super still (and only on foxes). barrels are also susceptible to burn-out, significantly more so than even a 223. pretty nifty little gun though for varminting - if you do get one i encourage getting a tanning kit and try tan some skins!
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Jan 2018, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by albat » 11 Jan 2018, 7:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:For foxes I'd probably go the 17hmr out of your choice, goes ok on foxes if shot in the right place and is fairly flat shooting into the deal which makes it easier to place shots more consistently.

I agree with the bf on this one the hummer is very accurate and very explosive i have taken stuff with this round that i probably should'nt have due to the ability to drop one in noggin out to 200 if need be
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm

get into tanning ? i'll make myself a heap of different daniel boone hats ! fox hat, cat hat , rabbit hat
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

Hi JohnBoy,
17mag or 22mag are the options you initially list, from these id go with the .22 Mag purely for heavier weight bullet..
However, if its your first rifle, one assumes you dont have a .22LR, and if thats the case i would choose this as my first rifle, for all the reasons stated above by the folk who suggested it.
So, my suggestion of order of preference is...
!)...22 LR
2)...22 Mag
Let us know what you get mate, and how it shoots...! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Jan 2018, 8:19 pm

bigrich wrote:yeh daddybang, trajectory drops a bit , but very consistant. :thumbsup: almost makes me wonder if i need 22lr anymore.. :D

No you dont need 22lr anymore...!!!

Well then bigrich...there we have it...when are you sending me your Krico...??? :unknown:

Pretty soon by the sounds of it !!! :thumbsup:

:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 11 Jan 2018, 8:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JohnBoy wrote:Hey all,

I have just joined the site having just recently obtained my licence, and so looking for some advice etc on my first rifle purchase.

As I am at the moment restricted to a Class A licence, I am looking to pick up my first rifle, and am looking for opinions and suggestions.

I have done some reading and am now a bit confused, as some I have read say to go the .17WMR, and some say grab a 22 Mag.

Any info you guys can share would be awesome. I have about 3 weeks until my PTA is processed, so have some time to scout around.

Cheers All
J

I'd go .22LR and buy a case of ammo. Then start buying centrefires.
.17HMR and .22WMR are too expensive to shoot enough for a first rifle.

Absolutely - get the basics down with the universal .22LR and then branch out.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2018, 5:07 am

:lol: good on ya stix. that krico 22 on used guns down your way looks to be in better nick and is a fair bit cheaper than what i paid for mine :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Jan 2018, 8:54 am

.22LR is the only choice if you are even thinking about doing any range shooting, ( as in competition ),
because there 'aint no competitions that cater for the others.
(Actually you can use .22mag in lever-gun silhouette but I don't think that is what the O.P is looking at.)

For paddock work, the .22mag takes a lot of beating as a rimfire hunting round, but the ammo is pricey.
I've shot everything from rats to fallow deer with one. Many thousands of rabbits met their end due to that rifle. ( We had 'em bad! )
Actually wore the bolt out, I shot so many rounds through it. ( the spring wore through and started coming out the side of the bolt body - Marlin )
That was back in the early '80's and even then ammo was three times the price of .22LR. :thumbsdown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by JohnBoy » 12 Jan 2018, 9:04 am

Thanks Guys for all your comments.

I am not too overly concerned about the cost of ammo - although, it is a factor - as I will probably end up with a few rifles. Once I sort out Class B, I will be heading for the 223.

I am not new to shooting - I have been shooting clay for years, etc.

I am not planning on doing copious amounts of shoot, so looking for an all rounder that can take down some pesky foxes, rabbits, ferrel cats and dogs etc.
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnBoy » 12 Jan 2018, 9:13 am

OH... Have just been looking at the 17wsm! BEAST!!

Does that fall under Class A licensing?
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Jan 2018, 9:22 am

Rimfire- so, yes.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Jan 2018, 9:32 am

JohnBoy wrote:OH... Have just been looking at the 17wsm! BEAST!!

Does that fall under Class A licensing?

sounds good in theory, but it's uncharted waters. it maybe just a fad. and ammo is pricier than factory 222/223, so why the hell bother?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 12 Jan 2018, 9:42 am

I have both a 22lr and a 22 wmr, buy the 22wmr if that's what you want, but this
JohnBoy wrote: Once I sort out Class B, I will be heading for the 223..
suggests 22lr is the more logical choice
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 12 Jan 2018, 10:07 am

Get a bigger safe then buy them all is my advice. If not now then at some stage in the future you'll think back and wonder what it would have been like if you purchased the other caliber.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnBoy » 12 Jan 2018, 10:31 am

brett1868 wrote:Get a bigger safe then buy them all is my advice. If not now then at some stage in the future you'll think back and wonder what it would have been like if you purchased the other caliber.

AHAHAH! I have already told the wife to make space for a 2nd safe! LOL!
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jan 2018, 10:44 am

Might be better to just wait until you sort out your Cat B, then get the 223 or similar as they will be better for the foxes, dogs etc, if you want to eat the bunnies head shoot em or use ya shottie on em, if ya don't want to eat em just turn em into paddock pizza for the crows and eagles etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pomemax » 12 Jan 2018, 11:14 am

So you shoot clay,s and your restricted to A now your looking at getting a rifle.
AS others have said .22 lr you can not go wrong over a .22 mag or a 17 Hmr cost of ammo if that,s a factor difference in shooting Fall to nill
17. I cant get it off my Mrs anymore she seems to think its less recoil that the others and even than the .22.
22 mag I find is not as accurate as .22 or 17 Hmr
A decent .22 Under a K you could if you just trying them out get a puma (norinco ) 300 something with a scope fitted but i would think they are a waste of a pta
but saying that mate has one its a little tack driver .
Don,t think its at the lgs so that,s what have to get you can buy from anywhere (easy as if in NSW but not real hard if from another state)and just pick it up from lgs.
and buy a bigger safe cause you know your going to get all 3 and some center fires as well
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Biggus63 » 12 Jan 2018, 11:33 am

Just went through all of this recently and ended up with the HMR because it rides the wind better than the 22 mag, even then it's so windy where I am the HMR is borderline unusable most afternoons. If the wind isn't a big issue the 22 mag has a good deal more energy than the HMR, and the new 30 grain V-Max bullets are a nice compromise that helps the trajectory and drift out a bit.

What I'm really waiting on is for someone like CZ to chamber a rifle for the .17 WSM since the two offerings available, the Savage and the Ruger are undesirable for a number of reasons, but I've not seen the slightest hint of a new bolt WSM on the horizon from anyone, so it could be a long wait.

I don't really want to go to a centerfire because of sound and safety considerations. I don't really hunt as such, it's just fox control on my own relatively small property, and the WSM promises to be the perfect solution, twice the power of the HMR with ammo only 5 to 10 cents a round more. If the WSM takes off I reckon it will make the HMR obsolete. Until then I make do with my CZ 455 Varmint HMR.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 1:35 pm

Biggus63 wrote:Just went through all of this recently and ended up with the HMR because it rides the wind better than the 22 mag, even then it's so windy where I am the HMR is borderline unusable most afternoons. If the wind isn't a big issue the 22 mag has a good deal more energy than the HMR, and the new 30 grain V-Max bullets are a nice compromise that helps the trajectory and drift out a bit.

What I'm really waiting on is for someone like CZ to chamber a rifle for the .17 WSM since the two offerings available, the Savage and the Ruger are undesirable for a number of reasons, but I've not seen the slightest hint of a new bolt WSM on the horizon from anyone, so it could be a long wait.

I don't really want to go to a centerfire because of sound and safety considerations. I don't really hunt as such, it's just fox control on my own relatively small property, and the WSM promises to be the perfect solution, twice the power of the HMR with ammo only 5 to 10 cents a round more. If the WSM takes off I reckon it will make the HMR obsolete. Until then I make do with my CZ 455 Varmint HMR.

A member here had a .17WSM but swapped it for a .223 last year. I bought 350 empty WSM cases off him to put towards his .223.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biggus63 » 12 Jan 2018, 6:40 pm

A member here had a .17WSM but swapped it for a .223 last year. I bought 350 empty WSM cases off him to put towards his .223.[/quote]

Ok, I'll bite, what did you want with 350 empty rimfire cases?
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 7:00 pm

Biggus63 wrote:Ok, I'll bite, what did you want with 350 empty rimfire cases?

I cut them in half and push a .243" jacketed bullet into the front half. Then I load them into 6.5x52mm Carcano and shoot them :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 13 Jan 2018, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jan 2018, 9:52 pm

22LR for sure, I have just commissioned a Ruger American Rimfire which is very accurate with various inexpensive ammo.
Be mindful that you must shoot a lot to become competent and then shoot regularly to maintain skill level.
The .22LR will have you practicing essential stuff like follow through etc, actual locktime with the 22 LR [brain breaks trigger to bullet exit from muzzle] is not super fast due to relatively low velocity.
The Ruger trigger is excellent IMO and easy to adjust.
My scope is the Nikon 2-7x32 rimfire on medium height mounts that I bought on fleabay ex China, they lapped in quiet quickly with a piece of 25mm bright bar and I think cost $25.
The Ruger I bought comes with Iron sights which remain in place in case the scope is ever damaged.
Voldemort [?] will sell you goofy s**t like a short barrel threaded thing without irons for cheap but I would not do that, some folks bring in s**t that will not sell overseas and there is a reason for slightly lower price, no other bugger wants it.
You would also need a Weaver scope mount for the Ruger, mine came from Midway Aust for not much money and fitted right on.
I reckon the rifle owes me about about $900 all up and is a quality piece of gear.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by LilTacker » 13 Jan 2018, 7:18 am

Another option is get a CZ455 special kit with the three barrels, 22lr, 17HMR & 22WMR
A couple of minutes to swap barrels and away you go.
LilTacker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by albat » 13 Jan 2018, 9:58 am

I have the cz 455 with all three barrels .22lr 22 mag and hummer best deal going around for a bit over a grand i got mine for $580 bucks at the 2015 shot show in fact i bought two of em cus it was such a good deal both have performed exceptionally with any barrel i put on them great starter combo
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnBoy » 13 Jan 2018, 7:43 pm

albat wrote:I have the cz 455 with all three barrels .22lr 22 mag and hummer best deal going around for a bit over a grand i got mine for $580 bucks at the 2015 shot show in fact i bought two of em cus it was such a good deal both have performed exceptionally with any barrel i put on them great starter combo

Hmmm.. Now this sounds appealing! Do you have more details on this man?

Cheers
John
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by LilTacker » 13 Jan 2018, 7:53 pm

John have a look on the Winchester Australia website for a few more details.
I use a scope with resettable turrets which makes it easier to find your zero again when you change barrels.
LilTacker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 13 Jan 2018, 8:09 pm

JohnBoy wrote:
albat wrote:I have the cz 455 with all three barrels .22lr 22 mag and hummer best deal going around for a bit over a grand i got mine for $580 bucks at the 2015 shot show in fact i bought two of em cus it was such a good deal both have performed exceptionally with any barrel i put on them great starter combo

Hmmm.. Now this sounds appealing! Do you have more details on this man?

Cheers
John

Cheapest I've seen for the CZ455 (3 barrel set and cheap scope) is $899 at Clayton firearms in Victoria. So shop around

I have one and pretty happy with it. The 22 mag barrel isn't a great shooter compared to 22lr and 17hmr. But you still have option. I've done limited testing with the 22 mag barrel. The 17hmr is way more accurate in my opinion. The 22 is pretty equal to my CZ452 is accuracy stakes. Actually the cz455 22lr seems to prefer subsonic ammo. But like any 22 you just need to find what ammo it likes.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 13 Jan 2018, 8:22 pm

There is no better first rifle that a 22LR. It has one of the lowest recoils and noise. it is cheap and can be highly accurate giving the user plenty of satisfaction. It is the best rifle for learning shooting techniques with. It enable you to be able to learn follow through, shoot with both eyes open if wanted. It is cheap enough to be able to practice and practice without worry of the barrel being burnt out. More importantly all these shooting techniques involve your muscles learning muscle memory. The 22LR enable you to do this.

Bladeracer I hope you dont mind me using you as an exa,ple but if you read the Active topic in which BR is practicing for a competition in April he is shooting approx 100 shots a day. In just the last few weeks his off hand shooting skills have improved and what is more important for him he can quantifiable see the improvement because he is shooting target and keeping score. "You cant improve what you don't measure" By the time that competition comes around the rifle will feel weightless in is hand it will be as part of him.

So cheap and plentiful ammo should be a real thing to consider so should places you can shoot the 22 being able to have quite rounds means it can be shot in places the other just couldn't.

Put all that into the mix and the 22LR comes out a clear winner.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Jan 2018, 8:41 pm

sungazer wrote:There is no better first rifle that a 22LR. It has one of the lowest recoils and noise. it is cheap and can be highly accurate giving the user plenty of satisfaction. It is the best rifle for learning shooting techniques with. It enable you to be able to learn follow through, shoot with both eyes open if wanted. It is cheap enough to be able to practice and practice without worry of the barrel being burnt out. More importantly all these shooting techniques involve your muscles learning muscle memory. The 22LR enable you to do this.

Bladeracer I hope you dont mind me using you as an exa,ple but if you read the Active topic in which BR is practicing for a competition in April he is shooting approx 100 shots a day. In just the last few weeks his off hand shooting skills have improved and what is more important for him he can quantifiable see the improvement because he is shooting target and keeping score. "You cant improve what you don't measure" By the time that competition comes around the rifle will feel weightless in is hand it will be as part of him.

So cheap and plentiful ammo should be a real thing to consider so should places you can shoot the 22 being able to have quite rounds means it can be shot in places the other just couldn't.

Put all that into the mix and the 22LR comes out a clear winner.

Well said.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles