Removing action from the stock.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Removing action from the stock.

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2018, 12:02 pm

always gorilla grip the front first :thumbsup:
then just tighten the rear while holding the rifle upright with your hand wrapt lightly around the forearm and barrel feeling for movement
there should be none with good bedding :thumbsup:
there should be no movement at the tang area as well
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jan 2018, 8:04 pm

When people say you can't have telescopic or folding stocks because it makes rifles easier to conceal I don't think they realise in most cases only 2 bolts hold the barrelled action on the stock and it can be removed or installed in less than 1 minute.

The only folding stocked rifle I would consider would be the Barret MRAD or AI AT which allows you to change barrels and calibre very quickly, yes these rifles are expensive but you save on buying glass.

Fear and not rational thought drives our gun laws.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2018, 11:45 am

marksman wrote:always gorilla grip the front first :thumbsup:
then just tighten the rear while holding the rifle upright with your hand wrapt lightly around the forearm and barrel feeling for movement
there should be none with good bedding :thumbsup:
there should be no movement at the tang area as well

Thanks marksman...
I find putting the tikka's back together the hardest...they are (well mine are) very tight in the recoil lug area & the stock binds on the sides of the action...
No they are not bedded.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 05 Apr 2018, 9:58 am

Its the only way I can fit all my rifles in my safe.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing