Switch Barrel Christmas Present

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Switch Barrel Christmas Present

Post by sungazer » 14 Jan 2018, 1:09 pm

I know its a bit late to be posting pics of our Christmas presents but I am lazy also I am working on a muzzle break which is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought. It would be ok if IO had a milling machine but I dont. I do have a friend with one but he is one and a half hours away and I dont know if I would have all the correct bits for the job on the first trip. Anyway here is my first Chassis rifle which also happens to be a switch barrel 6.5 Creedmoor and 223. I have broken in the 223 barrel and its now shooting very nicely still some load development to do as I bought half a dozen different projectiles for it. The 6.5 I am half way through breaking it in I have only brought 3 different projectiles for it at this stage the 139 Lapua Scenars, 140 Berger VLD and 140 Sierra Match Kings. I need to get some bullets for game for this as well as it would be brilliant at longer range varmints, It shoots incredibly good. It doesn't really need a break but I want to make one and see how it goes with that too. I also have a cheaper ebay job on the way but it will need drilling and tapping as it was for a 223. All the ones with a 5/8 thread were drilled for the 308.

Christmas.jpg

This also means that its time for a scope upgrade to my target rifle so they can all be passed down the line. These scopes are some I had on rifles back in the 80's. Its ok for the 6.5 if your hunting its only a 7cm hold over to go out 200 when sighted in at 100.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Re: Switch Barrel Christmas Present

Post by AusTac » 14 Jan 2018, 1:48 pm

Thats a nice looking rifle mate, what actions it built off?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sungazer » 14 Jan 2018, 5:26 pm

There both Howa 1500 hence I can swap either one into the stock. I picked up the 26 inch 6.5 C for $499, it was just too cheap to pass up. Of course putting all those other bits on cost an arm and a leg then the dies, brass ect really broke the budget and the idea of a cheap rifle.
Oh and after firing them I have new trigger springs on order. :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 14 Jan 2018, 6:34 pm

What trigger springs you order? I have 3 Howa with the HACT trigger. I don't mind them. My Creedmoor trigger came from factory at 2.8 pounds (my other two are at 3 pounds and won't go lower with factory springs) I put the Gunbloke off eBay Spring kit in my Creedmoor and it breaking nicely at 1.8 pounds. I went the 2lbs kit as I thought 1.5lbs might be a but light for me. I'm usually happy around two pounds.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 14 Jan 2018, 6:59 pm

I ordered them from High Velocity Hunting Australia. First I did the mod that is cutting off one spring. This is meant to soften the second stage. But when I really looked at the deign it wont soften the spring it will reduce the travel but you can let that out with the screw. The compression of the sping will stay the same. So needed new springs.

I like two stage triggers and about 1 lb on the first stage and 1 on the second stage the second stage should have no movement however it should be just a thinking really crisp. I hope I can get these triggers like that will will have to wait and see.

I paid big bucks for the Huber Concepts trigger on the Remington 700 absolutely no adjustment which is good as any fiddling voids any warranty you spec to the factory and thats what you get.
The Barnard trigger is a simple design that just works wonderfully. Fully adjustable from two stage to one stage and crisp as.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles