Cheap 30/30 pills through a 308w bolt

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Cheap 30/30 pills through a 308w bolt

Post by in2anity » 15 Jan 2018, 10:02 am

A few different choices, but because there's no need for GCs (when using Trail Boss), the RNFP 30/30 projectile on the left is a perfectly adequate:

IMG_6564.jpg
RNFP, RNGC, FBHP, ELD-X
IMG_6564.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 4029 times

so, cheap 10gr Trail Boss vs expensive 42gr 2206H:

IMG_6268.JPG
Cheap vs expensive (RNFP vs ELD-x)
IMG_6268.JPG (464.75 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

Typical batch taken to a 50m range, 178grs for 500m rams, 150gr HP for everything else (and hunting), and mostly 165gr lead for plinking:

IMG_6565.jpg
Mostly plinkers with a few jacketed
IMG_6565.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4029 times

This is a typical 10 shot group using the cheap 30/30 projectiles:

IMG_6578.jpg
RNFP (30/30) over 10gr Trail Boss
IMG_6578.jpg (941.6 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

Using the official silhouette vectors, I scaled all the targets to the correct size for a 50m persepctive:

IMG_6732.jpg
50m silhouette stencil
IMG_6732.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 4029 times

The stencil in action:

IMG_6736.JPG
600gsm black card from Officeworks
IMG_6736.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4029 times

End result, 30c a shot practising high-power metallic silhouette without breaking the budget (and avoiding unnecessary wear on the rifle) :

IMG_6789.jpg
50m
IMG_6789.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 4029 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Cheap 30/30 pills through a 308w bolt

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2018, 12:56 pm

Nice work.
I've been thinking of making stencils myself, but for now I just trace the steels and cut them out.
I just stick them to 3mm MDF sheets as I don't want them to contrast too much against the background - that's part of the challenge of silhouette.
I've also considered scaling them down to shoot them closer but I think it's important that the sight picture includes the loss of detail that comes with distance, the turkey is particularly difficult to see clearly I find. And the bullet drop is a very important aspect as well, although not so much if you have sights you can dial-in to a dead-on hold at each range.

I shot these yesterday. The chicken is a low hold 50mm below the foot, the pig is held on the bottom of the belly, the turkey the top of the back, and the ram dead-on.
My ribs are still preventing .44 Mag practice but I need to cut out some full-size silhouettes as well.
The one-fifth scale silhouettes are pretty tough, but at least you can use a scope on those.

I'm expecting a Williams FP336 adjustable peep for the Marlin this week and I want to see if I can mount it to the Norinco as well. It's fully adjustable so I need to log elevation settings for the various ranges and print a table to stick to the butt stock for reference.
Attachments
140120183080.jpg
140120183080.jpg (818.75 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Jan 2018, 1:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:Nice work.
I've been thinking of making stencils myself, but for now I just trace the steels and cut them out.
I just stick them to 3mm MDF sheets as I don't want them to contrast too much against the background - that's part of the challenge of silhouette.
I've also considered scaling them down to shoot them closer but I think it's important that the sight picture includes the loss of detail that comes with distance, the turkey is particularly difficult to see clearly I find. And the bullet drop is a very important aspect as well, although not so much if you have sights you can dial-in to a dead-on hold at each range.

I shot these yesterday. The chicken is a low hold 50mm below the foot, the pig is held on the bottom of the belly, the turkey the top of the back, and the ram dead-on.
My ribs are still preventing .44 Mag practice but I need to cut out some full-size silhouettes as well.
The one-fifth scale silhouettes are pretty tough, but at least you can use a scope on those.

I'm expecting a Williams FP336 adjustable peep for the Marlin this week and I want to see if I can mount it to the Norinco as well. It's fully adjustable so I need to log elevation settings for the various ranges and print a table to stick to the butt stock for reference.

I tried to do holdovers at the start, but found my scores were significantly better if I re-zeroed at each bank, most competitors do this. I also started with a plain FP-336 on my Marlin 336, only to realise I needed the long target knob and finger-adjustable gib lock. Makes it field adjustable without any tools, which is helpful for the 15 second "ready" period where you adjust your sights for the next distance. Also I needed a high front sight to go with it. I've now memorised the locations on the little ladder for distances all the way out to 300m - perfect for hunting, I pretty much tweak the elevation for every shot!

Blade what distance you been shooting that target at? Or have you been moving it out for each animal?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2018, 1:50 pm

in2anity wrote:I tried to do holdovers at the start, but found my scores were significantly better if I re-zeroed at each bank, most competitors do this. I also started with a plain FP-336 on my Marlin 336, only to realise I needed the long target knob and finger-adjustable gib lock. Makes it field adjustable without any tools. Also I needed a high front sight to match. I've now memorised the locations on the little ladder for distances out to 300m - perfect for hunting, I pretty much tweak the elevation for every shot!

Blade what distance you been shooting that target at? Or have you been moving it out for each animal?

I think zeroing to hold dead-on does work better.
This is the sight I'm awaiting - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Williams-FP-336-Receiver-Peep-Sight-with-Target-Knobs-for-Marlin-336-1894/122775522726

I set the targets up but I shoot from different ranges. I can get to 500m here but generally I shoot at 200m or less.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:I tried to do holdovers at the start, but found my scores were significantly better if I re-zeroed at each bank, most competitors do this. I also started with a plain FP-336 on my Marlin 336, only to realise I needed the long target knob and finger-adjustable gib lock. Makes it field adjustable without any tools. Also I needed a high front sight to match. I've now memorised the locations on the little ladder for distances out to 300m - perfect for hunting, I pretty much tweak the elevation for every shot!

I think zeroing to hold dead-on does work better.
This is the sight I'm awaiting - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Williams-FP-336-Receiver-Peep-Sight-with-Target-Knobs-for-Marlin-336-1894/122775522726

I set the targets up but I shoot from different ranges. I can get to 500m here but generally I shoot at 200m or less.

Yeah nice Blade, the TK version is perfect. See how you go, but I reckon the 962-000-079WB Target Elevation Gib Lock Knob may be of value to that sight: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 27362.aspx (to quickly lock and unlock your elevation). You can order it through brownells AUS. It's a really good little sight - I paired mine with a Lyman 17AHB .404 and I've taken smallish medium varmint at 250m with it (oops probably a little "unethical" but heck it worked!)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2018, 2:41 pm

in2anity wrote:Yeah nice Blade, the TK version is perfect. See how you go, but I reckon the 962-000-079WB Target Elevation Gib Lock Knob may be of value to that sight: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 27362.aspx (to quickly lock and unlock your elevation). You can order it through brownells AUS. It's a really good little sight - I paired mine with a Lyman 17AHB .404 and I've taken smallish medium varmint at 250m with it (oops probably a little "unethical" but heck it worked!)

Thanks for the tip, I'll ask Bruce about that. I'm already asking him to sort some other items that are not listed on the Au portal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Jan 2018, 8:52 am

bladeracer wrote:Thanks for the tip, I'll ask Bruce about that. I'm already asking him to sort some other items that are not listed on the Au portal.

Blade here's a close up of the gib-lock (set @ 200m):

200m.jpg
200m setting
200m.jpg (244.79 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2018, 10:45 am

in2anity wrote:Blade here's a close up of the gib-lock (set @ 200m):

200m.jpg

Will the sight not stay set without the lock screw?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Jan 2018, 11:27 am

Short answer, no.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 19 Jan 2018, 12:17 pm

in2anity wrote:This is a typical 10 shot group using the cheap 30/30 projectiles:

Cracker mate :drinks:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 19 Jan 2018, 12:45 pm

Norton wrote:Cracker mate :drinks:

Thanks mate :drinks: it's a boringly accurate rifle TBH; when it comes to the real deal (I.e. jacketed) anything I feed it (and more importantly any load) is way more than adequate for metallic silhouette shooting (i.e. standing offhand) which is great, because I don't like to run my rifles at max pressure. Because of how inherently accurate the rifle is, there's no issues just using starting loads (which only output around 40,000psi). Horses for courses :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2018, 6:16 pm

Ummmm, why don't you cast your own?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Jan 2018, 8:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Ummmm, why don't you cast your own?

I’d really love to OB but I don’t have the space (townhouse) or time (young kids). Some day down the track though hopefully :drinks: once my kids are all grown up and I can escape the big smoke ;)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2018, 8:50 pm

in2anity wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Ummmm, why don't you cast your own?

I’d really love to OB but I don’t have the space (townhouse) or time (young kids). Some day down the track though hopefully :drinks: once my kids are all grown up and I can escape the big smoke ;)

Yes, too bad. You can't really cast indoors due to lead vapours.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles