Ruger american ranch 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger american ranch 223

Post by Spiney » 16 Jan 2018, 9:17 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2404 times
Long time lurker of this forum and as a consequence got back into a sport that I was away from for at least 20 years. Thanks guys, however my wife has another view about this. :(

I was in the market for a 223 hunting rifle and it came down to either a Howa mini action or the Ruger american ranch. Bloody hell what a difficult decision that was because I loved both and they both have pros and cons. I finally decided on the Ruger as I like short barreled carbine rifles and the 1 in 8 twist also appealed. I picked it up for $615 at a store in Margate and put a Vortex crossfire 3-9 x 40 scope on it.
The first thing that needed addressing was the free floating barrel. The stock was touching the barrel but after a little careful sanding it is now well clear. I'm happy with the trigger and the magazine has worked well so far.
First visit to the range with a variety of factory ammo was "ok" with the best group measuring 1.1" at 100 yards. This was with Hornady TAP 75g ammo.
Second visit to the range with another selection of ammo rewarded me with a group measuring .475" at 100 yards. This was with Aussie outback 55g Sierra blitzkings. Woohoo got to be happy with that. :clap:
I still have some other rounds to test and if and when I get back into reloading I'll be endeavoring to work up a load with 64-69g sized pills. But so far "very" happy man, she's pretty loud though with that short barrel. :D
So far CZ 455 22lr, Ruger american ranch 223
Spiney
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Ruger american ranch 223

Post by SHV » 16 Jan 2018, 10:12 am

really nice!
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 16 Jan 2018, 4:25 pm

The OSA/Outback ammo in .223 seems to work well in all rifles. Very good round for the money.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 6:01 am

Looks like you scored a gooden there.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Spiney » 17 Jan 2018, 10:41 am

Thanks guys. Yep, feeling pretty happy that it can group well even though its a cheap rifle. :D
After that group I adjusted the scope and the next couple of shots hit the bull. Sorry no photos as we didn't have enough of that ammo to go for groups.
So far CZ 455 22lr, Ruger american ranch 223
Spiney
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles