Multipurpose 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Multipurpose 22lr

Post by PaddyT » 16 Jan 2018, 11:41 am

G'day, starting to get pretty comfy shooting my T3X .223 at the range but have come to the conclusion that I really do need a 22lr as well- have hired one at St MArys a few times to use in between shots with the main rifle and its really helping my acccuracy. BUT this has now led me to the idea that I need an all rounder as a 22lr as the next purchase- one I can use for a bit of rabbit whacking and that I can use to do a few competitive shoots for fun (pls note the fun bit) So- and pls burn me at the stake if this sounds foolish- I am thinking of 2 possibilities The Lithgow 101 Crossover or the CZ 455 Varmint- im not so worried about the rifle being left handed other than for ergonomics but am thinking that both these rifles would probably cover all my bases with a 22- also with regards to optics how does a 4X12 or a 4X16 stack up with what Im trying to do? Thanks in advance
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Multipurpose 22lr

Post by AusTac » 16 Jan 2018, 11:48 am

I've had a lithgow .22lr since they first came out, cracker of a rifle, i use it for both plinking/hunting and if i'm feeling fancy a bit of range target shooting, it'll put bullet on bullet with the right ammunition, some problems i've had with mine are feeding out of the factory mag, it is still a slight issue every now and again but i just get cz mags and with a slight mod to the locking area they work 100%, tough as nails and aussie built :thumbsup: have a 4-12x44 vortex diamond back on top also lovely pair
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by justgav » 16 Jan 2018, 12:08 pm

I've got a cz452 and it it great. nice to use (not as good as my Tikka though). Rumours are that Tikka are releasing a Rimfire this month.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... x-rimfire/
justgav
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 16 Jan 2018, 4:47 pm

The la101 is a competitive target rifle. I use mine for rimfire silhouette, others use them for benchrest style comps. They can’t quite stand up to the 54 annies but almost. It’s a bit on the heavy side for a carry rifle, but for short walks it’s fine. It has a high target comb which is better suited for target shooting. The trigger is adequate but is much better with the Lumley kit.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 16 Jan 2018, 5:56 pm

Both are good choices. I lean towards the CZ because they are more traditional in styling -but that's just my taste,you wont go wrong with either. I've shot both and they are both great 22s.
See if you can get a go on a Lithgow at the range (assuming the Range Rifles are CZ's) and make your own decision.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 16 Jan 2018, 7:31 pm

I have a CZ 455 (American) which has a Sporter barrel. Nice gun quite accurate, I've read on some fourms that the sporter barreled gun tend to be more accurate than the heavier varmint barreled guns.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Barrettmr » 16 Jan 2018, 8:00 pm

It depends on the majority of what you are going to use it for. I have shot the lithgow and and own a cz452. I prefer the cz and have found that they are much the same accuracy wise. ( my experience). If you want to carry either slung over the back, invest in a five shot magazine, the ten will dig in you back.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jan 2018, 8:39 pm

I'm more than happy with my CZ452 after 20 odd years it still shoots and feeds perfectly.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 16 Jan 2018, 9:39 pm

I think from what I have seen posted and helped on guy with that the new cz might be a bit hit and miss in the accuracy and quality dept. Just have a good look at the test target before you take it home. If it looks poor don't buy no matter what the GS owner says.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by PaddyT » 17 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

Just read a couple of the strings about the various feeding problems with the Lithgow LA 101- have these been resolved in the newer ones coming out , and how is their customer service these days? i realise it was at its peak a couple of years ago but would like an update if possible.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lumbajak » 17 Jan 2018, 11:33 am

Get a Brno 2e. Made in a time when quality was more important than cost.
Skip the heavy barrel if you plan on walking the hills as 22lr doesn’t really smoke a barrel.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jan 2018, 1:25 pm

I am a 455 owner and get a lot of info from www.rimfirecentral.com/forums. 1) The test target is nothing more than a function target and not an indication of accuracy.
2) You will probably need a 0.20 calibre cleaning rod (or 177) in order not to foul the ejector blade.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 17 Jan 2018, 2:17 pm

PaddyT wrote:Just read a couple of the strings about the various feeding problems with the Lithgow LA 101- have these been resolved in the newer ones coming out , and how is their customer service these days? i realise it was at its peak a couple of years ago but would like an update if possible.

Customer service is immaculate; my 2015 built la101 had feeding issues. I spoke to a rep from Lithgow who informed me 90% of the feeding issues stemmed from the magazine. He promptly mailed me a replacement magazine along with an addressed envelope which I sent my original mag back to them.

I believe the latest rifles leaving the factory have all of these issues ironed out now - just check the last few digits of the serial number before you buy to make sure it's at least a 2016 built rifle. 2017 built would be even better.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 17 Jan 2018, 5:22 pm

Lumbajak wrote:Get a Brno 2e. Made in a time when quality was more important than cost.

Some say pre 74 Model 2's are the best :unknown: Never met anyone complaining about their model 2 / 2e / 452 though :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by allan » 17 Jan 2018, 6:44 pm

in2anity wrote:I believe the latest rifles leaving the factory have all of these issues ironed out now - just check the last few digits of the serial number before you buy to make sure it's at least a 2016 built rifle. 2017 built would be even better.

What he said!
I have close to 9,000 rounds on two LA101's. Here's 50 shots fired by a little old lady last week while sitting in the shed waiting out a rain squall. This is "real world" accuracy and that un-modified LA101 is a genuine .3" rifle with several different ammos in ideal conditions. It's also the best functioning "out of the box" 22 I have owned. I still don't like the look of these Lithgows but if I was restricted to just one rim fire, I'd keep the LA101.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Lumbajak » 17 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

Wombat wrote:
Lumbajak wrote:Get a Brno 2e. Made in a time when quality was more important than cost.

Some say pre 74 Model 2's are the best :unknown: Never met anyone complaining about their model 2 / 2e / 452 though :thumbsup:

Spot on wombat - old boy is also leaving me his early 60’s era Brno! That thing is beautiful and insanely tight and accurate for a gun that old with 10’s of thousands of rounds down the spout.
Picked up a first place with mine in a Rimfire field rifle club shoot year before last! Good enough for me although the new Tikka 22lr coming might magically appear in the safe? :unknown:
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 19 Jan 2018, 9:41 am

Anyone tried the Browning Tbolt in 22lr
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 19 Jan 2018, 10:10 am

Yep. Got one (browning t-bolt). Really nice except for a horrid trigger. I hassled Glen the trigger dude about it and it looks like he has got a fix for it now as he is listing them as one of his standard fixes so I'll send it to him when i get a spare few buck to also get my zasty trigger done at the same time.
Other than the trigger it is a really nice riffle to use. Boufht it as it is one of the few left hand rifles in 22lr available.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PaddyT » 19 Jan 2018, 11:23 am

As a fellow lefty i empathise with you- funnily enough i dont find using a 22 right hand rifle as hard as the centerfire- might actually get a righty as I want to teach my daughter how to shoot and she is right handed
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by eddahenry » 21 Jan 2018, 9:30 pm

My 2 Cents
Get the lithgow
I have seen and shot many and they all shot
I am a CZ455 Tacticool owner and i got one of the bad ones, wouldnt shoot 30mm groups at 50m with any ammo
Done the
Lowey products trigger spring (great product) Got the trigger to 8oz safe
I made and Installed my own Aluminium pillars
than done a full Devcon bed
than took it to the rang on the windiest day i have ever shot there and shot this with SK match red box
Im guessing with no shift winds and finding what it likes i will shoot tits
but its been a long road
so yeh unless you like to tinker get the lithgow IMO
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by PaddyT » 22 Jan 2018, 2:03 pm

Yep thats im thinking- now just need to sneak it past the Minister of Finance- put my PTA in on Friday- am still not sure about optics- had a look at a couple of Zeiss scopes for around $600- but with regards to power is 4X16 or 6X18 the way I should go
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by eddahenry » 22 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

well i run a T36 when i bench rest mine and a 4 x 16 when hunting ,
Just get a nice 4x16 ,, but if you will be hunting more than target shooting get thicker recitals as the super thin Target types are really hard to make out out in the bush and will drive you mad
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 22 Jan 2018, 7:43 pm

PaddyT wrote:Anyone tried the Browning Tbolt in 22lr

I just bought the composite sporter model for my partner, very lite to handle all most like a kids guns. I havent put a round through it so I cant tell you how it shoots, in saying this she likes its mainly because its has a cool name and a gold trigger
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by PaddyT » 25 Jan 2018, 11:36 am

Placed an order for the LA101 left handed , Bushnell Trophy 2.5-15 with the illuminated reticle , bipod, sling- now all i have to do is wait- Lithgow are out of stock of the left handers so about 6 weeks till I get it -so will wait till then!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Jan 2018, 2:13 pm

Nice! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2018, 3:14 pm

Another possible contender is the new t1x which is about to come out. As long as they group, in many ways it’s a superior rifle to the la101 (as much as I hat to admit it!)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 28 Jan 2018, 3:27 pm

Good work eddahenry...
Come & do my brno mod 2 for me...!!!!!

Never shot bad with it until i floated out the barrel channel...biggest mistake i ever made...!!!
3 gun smiths & many a "brno expert" later (& a butchering by one of them) & my oldest & favorite rifle just sits in the safe now cos it doesnt shoot...

Rekon it just needs a good bedding...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by eddahenry » 31 Jan 2018, 12:19 am

Stix wrote:Good work eddahenry...

Never shot bad with it until i floated out the barrel channel...biggest mistake i ever made...!!!
3 gun smiths & many a "brno expert" later (& a butchering by one of them) & my oldest & favorite rifle just sits in the safe now cos it doesnt shoot...

if you where in perth , No Worries lol
maybe try putting pressure points back on the barrel with felt or something like that , start at the tip of the forend and work back
but nearly every gun i have done that didnt like being full floated came good after bedding the first 5 CM of the barrel at the chamber
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 31 Jan 2018, 4:38 am

eddahenry wrote:
Stix wrote:Good work eddahenry...

if you where in perth , No Worries lol
maybe try putting pressure points back on the barrel with felt or something like that , start at the tip of the forend and work back
but nearly every gun i have done that didnt like being full floated came good after bedding the first 5 CM of the barrel at the chamber

Yea ive tried all that stuff--doesnt like it...!...so i just have to bed it...
I'm just not sure if i do the action only first, or just do it all the way out to the front screw.

Ive never done it before so had thoughts of trying it with builders bog first...but then it'll be messy ripping it all out again..
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 6:45 am

Builders bog is too soft.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next