Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed

Post by Cool » 21 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying new 30-06 rifle i was initially looking at T3’s. Sales man showed me Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed and I straight away fell in love with it. I have never owned Browning before.built quality looks 10 times better then T3. I have few questions for you experts here

What do you think about Canyon xbolt
Is it better then T3 stainless steel
Is it worth spending extra $400 to $500
Accuracy- can i expect it to beat T3 ?

Thanks
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed

Post by Cooper » 21 Jan 2018, 1:46 pm

I have fired a Browning X bolt. Wasn't a Hells cannon model though. Don't think there is as much aftermarket support for Browning. I'd also choose the Tikka trigger over the Browning trigger. But if you like the Browning go for it.

As for accuracy. I would probably choose the Tikka. But that is just my gut feel. I am sure the Browning would be fine.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SHV » 21 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

tikka battue 30-06 running out special price 695, bargain like a dream, be quick if you want it
I paid around 1.3k for my T3X battue 30-06, love it
accuracy? no much difference between my browning BLR 308 and tikka battue 30-06 if reload, factory ammo maybe tikka's better
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by albat » 21 Jan 2018, 4:24 pm

10 x better than tikka ummmm , doubt that, its a sako without the mag wheels ,best factory trigger flat out ,and the silkiest bolt action out there dont think off hand browning have moa guarantee either but most tikkas will do half that out the box not saying browning wont though
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cool » 21 Jan 2018, 7:34 pm

SHV wrote:tikka battue 30-06 running out special price 695, bargain like a dream, be quick if you want it
accuracy? no much difference between my browning BLR 308 and tikka battue 30-06 if reload, factory ammo maybe tikka's better

Hi SHV i am trying to find special price i cannot find it below 1.3 k anywhere. Plz help
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SHV » 21 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

Cool wrote:
SHV wrote:tikka battue 30-06 running out special price 695, bargain like a dream, be quick if you want it

Hi SHV i am trying to find special price i cannot find it below 1.3 k anywhere. Plz help

Magnum sports has the special, check usedguns you can find it as well
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 21 Jan 2018, 8:34 pm

albat wrote:10 x better than tikka ummmm , doubt that, its a sako without the mag wheels ,best factory trigger flat out ,and the silkiest bolt action out there dont think off hand browning have moa guarantee either but most tikkas will do half that out the box not saying browning wont though

This.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cool » 21 Jan 2018, 8:55 pm

Thanks SHV i’ll check with my dealer if they are ok to match this price for Battue T3 i already have given them deposit for Browning
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 12:01 am

:wtf: Browning x-bolt and Tikka T3 are both excellent rifles, I have both (not in calibers mentioned though, mine are 308s, but they are all more or less the same) and I shoot both, they are both excellent. And they are both accurate and precise, as long as the shooter and ammo does their part, depends what you consider accurate and precise though, LOL. For hunting, you get one shot at a dinner plate. Saying this x10 thing doesn't really translate to practical reality for me, having operated both.

As for the build quality, they have their nuances. For example, T3 has a rattly bolt when it's open - but it is the smoothest bolt I've ever used and very easy to operate. Browning on the other hand feels firm when open/being closed, a lot tighter to operate though and the action is built in a way that you could short stroke it if you are not expecting it, e.g. shooting off the bench vs quick reload when hunting.

Browning has better feel when carrying with sweaty hands, it has this rubberised grips that I like a lot more for the 'on the move' gun. Recoil pad look and feels better off the bench. However, off hand it's not noticeable. X-Bolt from memory needs custom mounts, so that's another $100. Tikka is very smooth to operate and balanced. Very hard to chose :( Just need to shoot them or at least cycle them fast (and dropping the firing pin) while maintaining sight picture - to get an idea for the feel.

Meh
2c
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 22 Jan 2018, 11:05 am

With a name like Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed, the juvenile in me is yelling sightunseen 'buy one now or you will die'.
However the grey hairs, or what's left of them, are saying something else.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 11:10 am

straightshooter wrote:With a name like Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed, the juvenile in me is yelling sightunseen 'buy one now or you will die'.
However the grey hairs, or what's left of them, are saying something else.

Hehehe true. Especially if they made them in 338lap or 416. That would be a cool gun to hunt foxes across mountain tops. While you're on a different mountain. LOL
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jan 2018, 6:41 am

juststarting wrote:As for the build quality, they have their nuances. For example, T3 has a rattly bolt when it's open - but it is the smoothest bolt I've ever used and very easy to operate. Browning on the other hand feels firm when open/being closed, a lot tighter to operate though and the action is built in a way

Meh
2c

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that is intentional. Probably to stop it binding in case of dirt ingress. 90% of bolt actions have a lot if bolt clearance.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cool » 14 Mar 2018, 4:05 pm

juststarting wrote::wtf: Browning x-bolt and Tikka T3 are both excellent rifles, I have both (not in calibers mentioned though, mine are 308s, but they are all more or less the same) and I shoot both, they are both excellent. And they are both accurate and precise, as long as the shooter and ammo does their part, depends what you consider accurate and precise though, LOL. For hunting, you get one shot at a dinner plate. Saying this x10 thing doesn't really translate to practical reality for me, having operated both.

As for the build quality, they have their nuances. For example, T3 has a rattly bolt when it's open - but it is the smoothest bolt I've ever used and very easy to operate. Browning on the other hand feels firm when open/being closed, a lot tighter to operate though and the action is built in a way that you could short stroke it if you are not expecting it, e.g. shooting off the bench vs quick reload when hunting.

Browning has better feel when carrying with sweaty hands, it has this rubberised grips that I like a lot more for the 'on the move' gun. Recoil pad look and feels better off the bench. However, off hand it's not noticeable. X-Bolt from memory needs custom mounts, so that's another $100. Tikka is very smooth to operate and balanced. Very hard to chose :( Just need to shoot them or at least cycle them fast (and dropping the firing pin) while maintaining sight picture - to get an idea for the feel.

Meh
2c

@juststarting - I found some more info surprisingly difference is

Browning - Is glass bedded
Tikka- is Not
Browning - Has better quality recoil pad
Tikka- Not
Browning has better stock
Tikka- Average
Browning has heavy barrel
Tikka- has light and heats up quickly
Browning - Has threaded barrel with muzle break
Tikka - Not provided with lite SS model.

Questions is -Do you think above camparrison is correct and if it is
Glass bedding, Better stock, Better barrel , Better recoil pad & (threaded barrel with MUZZLE break) worth $300 more ?
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Geech » 14 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

Cool wrote:
@juststarting - I found some more info surprisingly difference is

Browning - Is glass bedded
Tikka- is Not
Browning - Has better quality recoil pad
Tikka- Not
Browning has better stock
Tikka- Average
Browning has heavy barrel
Tikka- has light and heats up quickly
Browning - Has threaded barrel with muzle break
Tikka - Not provided with lite SS model.

Questions is -Do you think above camparrison is correct and if it is
Glass bedding, Better stock, Better barrel , Better recoil pad & (threaded barrel with MUZZLE break) worth $300 more ?

I’ve recently taken delivery of an x-bolt hells canyon long range (same as the speed, but with heavy contour barrel). I’m yet to shoot it, however compared to my T3 stainless lite it definitely feels to be worth the extra $

I think your comparison is fairly accurate - although the Browning barrel is also fluted if that floats your boat.

The stock feels significantly better made, and the overall weighting and balance of the browning feels better to me. My tikka always felt very front heavy (so much so that I glued a lead fishing sinker in the stock which helped).

I’ve gone with a 300wm in the Browning, so I think the brake will be a welcome addition.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like my Tikka, but the Browning feels every bit a superior rifle so far. I paid about $500 more for the Browning than I did for the Tikka, so that would go a long way to addressing my main criticisms (the stock).

It’s probably easier said than done, but try and get a shot with both. I don’t think you’d be unhappy with either rifle.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 14 Mar 2018, 9:26 pm

All this talk makes me want one in 300WM. :(
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cool » 16 Mar 2018, 11:31 am

Thanks Geech,

Hope you get chance to shoot it soon. Please share your shooting experience when you get chance
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Cool » 09 Apr 2018, 4:35 pm

Cool wrote:Thanks Geech,

Hope you get chance to shoot it soon. Please share your shooting experience when you get chance

Hi Geech,

wondering if you had chance to shoot it over easter break. Please share your experience
Cool
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles