Is surface rust something to be worried about?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Is this something to be worried about?

Post by Bushie » 05 Feb 2018, 7:17 am

I don't mind sweets when I'm.doing my 7600 because I can just take the whole barrel off but when I'm.doing the 783 I'm.paraniod about getting on the stock and then on my fingers and onto the scope so I end up wiping it down every 2 minutes
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 05 Feb 2018, 3:19 pm

The hot water method was most useful back in the days of corrosive primers.

Most of these primers were Potassium Chlorate or Perchlorate or closely similar compounds. When these went off, they would leave a salt behind of Potassium Chloride (similar to Sodium Chloride - table salt).

Cleaning this out with an oil mixture was really not too useful, but dissolving it in boiling water was the ducks nuts, easy and effective.

Coincidentally this also opened pores in the steel and allowed the other naughty bits to be scrubbed out.

With newer primer compounds, not as useful.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2018, 3:25 pm

s**t that reminded me. Sweets had need in my bore for 22 minutes better remove it before all the rifling is gone. :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 05 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

Whats the worry about getting sweets on you figures? I still have mine :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2018, 6:21 pm

I could drone on about how the skin absorpes some substances and repels others, but in short, I will just say. None just wash it off with soap and water. The quantities are too small to worry about. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Oldbloke on 05 Feb 2018, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 05 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

Yeah I understand that. Just wondered if it was really bad. I mean I only get a bit on them and as you say wash it of pretty quickly.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Feb 2018, 7:23 am

I always have an old hand towel very handy when cleaning. Wiping any fluids off your hands straight away prevents transfer to any parts of your rifle you don't want it on.
Also wiping your cleaning rod dry after each use with solvents prevents contamination and watch where you put it down. Just putting it straight on a concrete bench will pick up small dirt particles which are abrasive to your bore. Keep it dry and keep it clean.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Apr 2018, 9:29 pm

I once had a factory standard issue .308 Remington [carbon steel] varmint weight rifle that shot .060" 5 rd groups @ 200 yds, you could head shoot a mouse at 200 yds LOL.

I always patched it through at least once with Sweets every three groups, followed by a metho patch.

The first Sweets patches came out really blue, the rifle obviously copper fouled significantly but was a tack driver [for an off the shelf rifle].

I was relatively poor at the time so never shot it without cleaning to the extent that accuracy may have been effected, being anxious about possible bore damage.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm

PS good advice Gamerancher, a concrete benchtop is made out of sand and one grain of silica in the bore could see accuracy suffer.
Manufacturers of abrasives swear by the stuff.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles