tikka t1x vs ruger precision rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: tikka t1x vs ruger precision rimfire

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2018, 11:43 am

Supaduke wrote:Accuracy wise, both remain untested in the public domain, so that remains to be seen.

The Ruger has owners on RimfireCentral already, haven't seen any owners shooting the Tikka yet.

Tikka http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057570&page=6
Ruger http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055010&page=5
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 06 Feb 2018, 1:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Why do you think the Tikka would shoot better than the Ruger?

I said probably shoot better. No real reason. Hopefully I’m wrong and the Ruger is a shooter. Maybe the Tikka will only like premium ammo. The only video I’ve seen they were using Lapua X ammo. Didn’t see any groups though! Time will tell I guess.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2018, 1:35 pm

Cooper wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I said probably shoot better. No real reason.

I understood your statement, I was curious as to what you might be basing your opinion on. Whether something in the design or something else you might've picked up on that I hadn't.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 06 Feb 2018, 2:17 pm

I wonder if the bolt action will mirror their rimfire/centrefire cousins. The tikka is like butter and the ruger is very clunky.

I must admit to a little bias. My ruger American 22lr spent more time getting fixed with the importer than with me.
I want this ruger to be good. I'd like to give them another chance.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 06 Feb 2018, 7:54 pm

Cooper wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I said probably shoot better. No real reason. Hopefully I’m wrong and the Ruger is a shooter. Maybe the Tikka will only like premium ammo. The only video I’ve seen they were using Lapua X ammo. Didn’t see any groups though! Time will tell I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpvT4Yzi8Fs
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 06 Feb 2018, 9:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Accuracy wise, both remain untested in the public domain, so that remains to be seen.

The Ruger has owners on RimfireCentral already, haven't seen any owners shooting the Tikka yet.

Tikka http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057570&page=6
Ruger http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055010&page=5

Shows some great potential. I will probably get one just for something different.

Typical of rfcentral, thread full of the usual flogs bagging something they haven't even seen or shot.

If you don't like 'tupperware' or 'tacticool' then don't fkn buy it sheesh. Unwarranted sh1t canning of anything new really irritates me.

I think it will be a fun little gun.

P.S. no one gives a toss if you state 'just timber and blued steel for me'. All it means is you are narrow minded.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 07 Feb 2018, 9:27 am

Are there any release dates firming for the ruger yet?

It's popping up in the US but I hear the tikka will come first for the Oz market.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 07 Feb 2018, 7:31 pm

Some Tikka's due in April I see
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Grizzle » 22 Feb 2018, 4:10 pm

Well, just ordered the Ruger. Let's see if it's a good choice, when it gets here, should be June
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Feb 2018, 11:39 am

The Tikka would probably be nicer but the price difference is significant.

I think you have to weigh up the price vs performance and for what I've seen with the video reviews, for $689 the Ruger suits just fine.

I put a deposit down for it because it's a cool looking 22 and nice to have in the collection.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by johncz » 23 Apr 2018, 11:17 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if NSW backflips on letting the rimfire into NSW because it looks scary too. Living in Qld and hunting in NSW causes it's own dramas with folding stock issues ($4000 RPR lives at home because it's stock folds even though it still is longer than the minimum length, too scary) So I guess I can't see why I would buy a rifle for it's adjustability then pin the stock, bit of a let down really.
As for barrel lengths, 16" barrels are just about perfect burn length for 22lr, long target barrels are intended for extra long open sight radius which neither of these rifles require with both being scoped.
I have a fair few rifles having been shooting for over 40 years and have had a beautiful walnut stocked Brno 2e Lux/Leupold 2-7x33 combo since the late '80s, I will be buying a Tikka 22lr when available, good steel, good poly/glass stock, great trigger, short useful weight barrel, Sako quality and isn't scary so no dramas in any state. Speaking of plastic, Ruger plastic is just that, plastic and it is cheap. At least Tikka is adding approx. 40% fibreglass to their poly stocks.
johncz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 27 Apr 2018, 1:32 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Are there any release dates firming for the ruger yet?

It's popping up in the US but I hear the tikka will come first for the Oz market.

My Ruger has arrived. Probably won’t be able to pick up til next week. Looking forward to testing it out.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 May 2018, 9:17 pm

I am a Ruger tragic and own a 77/22 but I would put my money on thr Tikka shooting better. Tikka have the runs on the board for producing the best factory barrels and the triggers are excellent especially after a Yo Dave trigger Spring upgrade. Some Ruger barrels I have seen have not had the best quality machining performed on them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 06 May 2018, 2:21 am

year but look at the pics it has the same foot print of the centre fife
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 May 2018, 7:15 pm

Sharing the same footprint and components can be positive, when cross training the rimfire feels just like your centerfire. It can use the same stocks and the brilliant trigger needs no gunsmithing or replacement. I am pleasantly surprised from the reports of the Rugers barrel quality and how well they are shooting. Good news for Ruger fans.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2018, 7:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Sharing the same footprint and components can be positive, when cross training the rimfire feels just like your centerfire. It can use the same stocks and the brilliant trigger needs no gunsmithing or replacement. I am pleasantly surprised from the reports of the Rugers barrel quality and how well they are shooting. Good news for Ruger fans.

This is why, getting back into rifles, this time, I decided I wanted all my hunting rifles to be the same platform.
I think Ruger making their own cold hammer-forged barrels is one of their strongest points. Combine their barrels with their amazing pricing and they're hard to beat.

I will end up getting this one as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 May 2018, 8:40 pm

Bladeracer you were just looking for an excuse to get another Ruger. Feeling a bit tempted myself, after 30 years and 10,000 rounds my old 77/22 owes me nothing and it might be time to trade up. I think the new one is cheaper than what I paid in the eighties.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2018, 9:56 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Bladeracer you were just looking for an excuse to get another Ruger. Feeling a bit tempted myself, after 30 years and 10,000 rounds my old 77/22 owes me nothing and it might be time to trade up. I think the new one is cheaper than what I paid in the eighties.

I don't need any excuses, just more safes :-)
Could my 10/22 have cost me $220 in 1983 - seems a lot? I can't recall, but I think the 788 in .222Rem was $199.
Got lots more Rugers to buy yet!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles