tikka t1x vs ruger precision rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: tikka t1x vs ruger precision rimfire

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Feb 2018, 10:35 am

A long barrel does not make a rimfire accurate. They provide a long sight radius for target shooters who use iron sights, making it easier to focus...............in theory.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 02 Feb 2018, 5:35 pm

I think im going to get the T1x and put it in my TAC A1 stock =)

Best of both worlds
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 02 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

Personally i think there is nothing special about the ruger.

All the same rifle in a different stock or chassis.

I would expect the tikka to be a more accurate and nicer rifle
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ben78 » 02 Feb 2018, 6:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Did he spend any time at all testing to find the ammo they shot best with?
As far as I can tell the RPR is just a Predator model in a polymer chassis.
Are there any owners on RimfireCentral yet?

Three different ammo types, cci SV (my RAR never liked any CCI), CCI Green tag and Federal match. Non were overly impressive.

Yeah I've seen one so far that showed some promise but to my mind if you are going to send a gun to a known 22 reviewer with half a million followers you would send one that you know was good with that reviewers preferred ammo. Hey, if I was a marketing genius though I'd be in marketing not just a dumb boilermaker!

Once the actual 'precision' guys start buying them up maybe my mind will be changed.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 03 Feb 2018, 8:37 pm

I have the Ruger Target and not very impressed with it, when I seen the Ruger precision I drooled and just wanted one because how it looked but cant go past the Tikka's quality so jumped on the list for that today.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2018, 4:39 pm

rsj223 wrote:I have the Ruger Target and not very impressed with it, when I seen the Ruger precision I drooled and just wanted one because how it looked but cant go past the Tikka's quality so jumped on the list for that today.

Why aren't you impressed with the Target?
Once you find the ammo it likes you should be able to consistently shoot 1.5MoA 5rd groups at 100m off the bench. A better shooter than me can probably get even better groups than that. The other day after my daily silhouette practice I put 60rds of CCI SV through the Compact off the bench from 100m in 5rd groups and all were under 1.5MoA, with three groups right around 1MoA. I was only trying to foul the bore after giving it a good scrub out so I just fired at patches on the silhouette targets. Does yours not shoot that well or do you expect better accuracy than that? I put 170rds through the Target just now. But as my stocks of CCI SV are getting low I burned up some Federal 714 instead. The best 10rd group I've shot at 50m with this stuff was 34.5mm so I was pretty happy with today's effort of 5rd groups around 50-75mm at 100m with some horrendous mirage. Yesterday I shot a 30rd group at 100m off the bench with the Norinco JW21 and CCI SV to see if the peep sights are working for me. All 30 dropped inside 200mm, but eighteen of them dropped into a rectangle 40mm high and 180mm wide. Not sure how I'm going to address that now as my vertical hold seems pretty good, maybe I need a rectangular aperture :-)

I will probably get the RPR anyway, but I won't expect it to shoot significantly better than my Target or Compact models. I certainly wouldn't consider it to be a true target competition rifle.

I hope the new Tikka can shoot better, but at that price it doesn't seem likely.
Are you looking to sell your Ruger Target?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 04 Feb 2018, 5:24 pm

Im thinking im gonna get the ruger. If i was to spend the extra for the tikka id just spwnd a bit more for the lithgow haha.

Im not after a match wining gun. Just something thats cheaper to feed than my centrefires for some plinking fun and bunnies. And i like the idea of the chassis for paper punching
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 04 Feb 2018, 8:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:
rsj223 wrote:I have the Ruger Target and not very impressed with it, when I seen the Ruger precision I drooled and just wanted one because how it looked but cant go past the Tikka's quality so jumped on the list for that today.

Why aren't you impressed with the Target?
Once you find the ammo it likes you should be able to consistently shoot 1.5MoA 5rd groups at 100m off the bench. A better shooter than me can probably get even better groups than that. The other day after my daily silhouette practice I put 60rds of CCI SV through the Compact off the bench from 100m in 5rd groups and all were under 1.5MoA, with three groups right around 1MoA. I was only trying to foul the bore after giving it a good scrub out so I just fired at patches on the silhouette targets. Does yours not shoot that well or do you expect better accuracy than that? I put 170rds through the Target just now. But as my stocks of CCI SV are getting low I burned up some Federal 714 instead. The best 10rd group I've shot at 50m with this stuff was 34.5mm so I was pretty happy with today's effort of 5rd groups around 50-75mm at 100m with some horrendous mirage. Yesterday I shot a 30rd group at 100m off the bench with the Norinco JW21 and CCI SV to see if the peep sights are working for me. All 30 dropped inside 200mm, but eighteen of them dropped into a rectangle 40mm high and 180mm wide. Not sure how I'm going to address that now as my vertical hold seems pretty good, maybe I need a rectangular aperture :-)

I will probably get the RPR anyway, but I won't expect it to shoot significantly better than my Target or Compact models. I certainly wouldn't consider it to be a true target competition rifle.

I hope the new Tikka can shoot better, but at that price it doesn't seem likely.
Are you looking to sell your Ruger Target?

Well I have tried many types of ammo but only had it out twice to shoot targets and decided it may need to shoot a few hundred to settle in, look its ok and I dont have as much bench time as I need because I have my kids every weekend so time sucks ATM,
Think I still will get the RPR as it looks great but I think the Tikka is better as a all rounder, Yeah prob sell the target but only after I take it out again LOL
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm

rsj223 wrote:Well I have tried many types of ammo but only had it out twice to shoot targets and decided it may need to shoot a few hundred to settle in, look its ok and I dont have as much bench time as I need because I have my kids every weekend so time sucks ATM,
Think I still will get the RPR as it looks great but I think the Tikka is better as a all rounder, Yeah prob sell the target but only after I take it out again LOL

I've got 3000rds through the Compact (and my Norinco I got in October) but only 2000rds through the Target so far.
I'll probably grab the RPR just because it's a Ruger and I can compare it to the two I have already. Its appearance doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I'm hoping it can still use the standard 10rd box mags rather than the banana sticking out the bottom - for bench or prone shooting that looks at least as annoying as the lever-action on the Norinco JW21. It also looks like the forend is not level with the top of the receiver so I don't think it'll be able to run a full-length pic rail, which seems an odd design choice.
Tikka doesn't do anything for me, but I am impressed with their pricing on this model.

Let me know if you decide to pass it on as my brother may be interested.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 04 Feb 2018, 10:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:
rsj223 wrote:Well I have tried many types of ammo but only had it out twice to shoot targets and decided it may need to shoot a few hundred to settle in, look its ok and I dont have as much bench time as I need because I have my kids every weekend so time sucks ATM,

I've got 3000rds through the Compact (and my Norinco I got in October) but only 2000rds through the Target so far.
I'll probably grab the RPR just because it's a Ruger and I can compare it to the two I have already. Its appearance doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I'm hoping it can still use the standard 10rd box mags rather than the banana sticking out the bottom - for bench or prone shooting that looks at least as annoying as the lever-action on the Norinco JW21. It also looks like the forend is not level with the top of the receiver so I don't think it'll be able to run a full-length pic rail, which seems an odd design choice.
Tikka doesn't do anything for me, but I am impressed with their pricing on this model.

Let me know if you decide to pass it on as my brother may be interested.

Will do thanks
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 06 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

I’m not a Ruger fan. But I have ordered a 22lr Ruger precision. I having been thinking about putting one of my CZ 22s in a chassis system. Before I’d even start it would be more than $500. So the Ruger at $689 seems like a bargain.

The Tikka will probably out shoot it and I like the Tikka trigger and the fact they it takes the full size T3 centrefire stock is a bonus. If I already had a chassis system for Tikka I probably would have went that way. I probably would have like one stainless. Who knows maybe one day!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2018, 11:24 am

Cooper wrote:I’m not a Ruger fan. But I have ordered a 22lr Ruger precision. I having been thinking about putting one of my CZ 22s in a chassis system. Before I’d even start it would be more than $500. So the Ruger at $689 seems like a bargain.

The Tikka will probably out shoot it and I like the Tikka trigger and the fact they it takes the full size T3 centrefire stock is a bonus. If I already had a chassis system for Tikka I probably would have went that way. I probably would have like one stainless. Who knows maybe one day!

Yep, my MDT chassis doubles the price of the rifles, although they do have the potential advantage of being rigid aluminium from the buffer tube to the forend. Polymer technology is pretty good though so I don't know if that is actually any advantage over the polymer chassis and stock.

Why do you think the Tikka would shoot better than the Ruger?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2018, 11:43 am

Supaduke wrote:Accuracy wise, both remain untested in the public domain, so that remains to be seen.

The Ruger has owners on RimfireCentral already, haven't seen any owners shooting the Tikka yet.

Tikka http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057570&page=6
Ruger http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055010&page=5
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 06 Feb 2018, 1:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I said probably shoot better. No real reason. Hopefully I’m wrong and the Ruger is a shooter. Maybe the Tikka will only like premium ammo. The only video I’ve seen they were using Lapua X ammo. Didn’t see any groups though! Time will tell I guess.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2018, 1:35 pm

Cooper wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I said probably shoot better. No real reason.

I understood your statement, I was curious as to what you might be basing your opinion on. Whether something in the design or something else you might've picked up on that I hadn't.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 06 Feb 2018, 2:17 pm

I wonder if the bolt action will mirror their rimfire/centrefire cousins. The tikka is like butter and the ruger is very clunky.

I must admit to a little bias. My ruger American 22lr spent more time getting fixed with the importer than with me.
I want this ruger to be good. I'd like to give them another chance.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 06 Feb 2018, 7:54 pm

Cooper wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I said probably shoot better. No real reason. Hopefully I’m wrong and the Ruger is a shooter. Maybe the Tikka will only like premium ammo. The only video I’ve seen they were using Lapua X ammo. Didn’t see any groups though! Time will tell I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpvT4Yzi8Fs
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 06 Feb 2018, 9:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Accuracy wise, both remain untested in the public domain, so that remains to be seen.

The Ruger has owners on RimfireCentral already, haven't seen any owners shooting the Tikka yet.

Tikka http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057570&page=6
Ruger http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055010&page=5

Shows some great potential. I will probably get one just for something different.

Typical of rfcentral, thread full of the usual flogs bagging something they haven't even seen or shot.

If you don't like 'tupperware' or 'tacticool' then don't fkn buy it sheesh. Unwarranted sh1t canning of anything new really irritates me.

I think it will be a fun little gun.

P.S. no one gives a toss if you state 'just timber and blued steel for me'. All it means is you are narrow minded.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 07 Feb 2018, 9:27 am

Are there any release dates firming for the ruger yet?

It's popping up in the US but I hear the tikka will come first for the Oz market.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 07 Feb 2018, 7:31 pm

Some Tikka's due in April I see
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Grizzle » 22 Feb 2018, 4:10 pm

Well, just ordered the Ruger. Let's see if it's a good choice, when it gets here, should be June
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Feb 2018, 11:39 am

The Tikka would probably be nicer but the price difference is significant.

I think you have to weigh up the price vs performance and for what I've seen with the video reviews, for $689 the Ruger suits just fine.

I put a deposit down for it because it's a cool looking 22 and nice to have in the collection.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by johncz » 23 Apr 2018, 11:17 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if NSW backflips on letting the rimfire into NSW because it looks scary too. Living in Qld and hunting in NSW causes it's own dramas with folding stock issues ($4000 RPR lives at home because it's stock folds even though it still is longer than the minimum length, too scary) So I guess I can't see why I would buy a rifle for it's adjustability then pin the stock, bit of a let down really.
As for barrel lengths, 16" barrels are just about perfect burn length for 22lr, long target barrels are intended for extra long open sight radius which neither of these rifles require with both being scoped.
I have a fair few rifles having been shooting for over 40 years and have had a beautiful walnut stocked Brno 2e Lux/Leupold 2-7x33 combo since the late '80s, I will be buying a Tikka 22lr when available, good steel, good poly/glass stock, great trigger, short useful weight barrel, Sako quality and isn't scary so no dramas in any state. Speaking of plastic, Ruger plastic is just that, plastic and it is cheap. At least Tikka is adding approx. 40% fibreglass to their poly stocks.
johncz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 27 Apr 2018, 1:32 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Are there any release dates firming for the ruger yet?

It's popping up in the US but I hear the tikka will come first for the Oz market.

My Ruger has arrived. Probably won’t be able to pick up til next week. Looking forward to testing it out.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 May 2018, 9:17 pm

I am a Ruger tragic and own a 77/22 but I would put my money on thr Tikka shooting better. Tikka have the runs on the board for producing the best factory barrels and the triggers are excellent especially after a Yo Dave trigger Spring upgrade. Some Ruger barrels I have seen have not had the best quality machining performed on them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 06 May 2018, 2:21 am

year but look at the pics it has the same foot print of the centre fife
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 May 2018, 7:15 pm

Sharing the same footprint and components can be positive, when cross training the rimfire feels just like your centerfire. It can use the same stocks and the brilliant trigger needs no gunsmithing or replacement. I am pleasantly surprised from the reports of the Rugers barrel quality and how well they are shooting. Good news for Ruger fans.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2018, 7:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Sharing the same footprint and components can be positive, when cross training the rimfire feels just like your centerfire. It can use the same stocks and the brilliant trigger needs no gunsmithing or replacement. I am pleasantly surprised from the reports of the Rugers barrel quality and how well they are shooting. Good news for Ruger fans.

This is why, getting back into rifles, this time, I decided I wanted all my hunting rifles to be the same platform.
I think Ruger making their own cold hammer-forged barrels is one of their strongest points. Combine their barrels with their amazing pricing and they're hard to beat.

I will end up getting this one as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 May 2018, 8:40 pm

Bladeracer you were just looking for an excuse to get another Ruger. Feeling a bit tempted myself, after 30 years and 10,000 rounds my old 77/22 owes me nothing and it might be time to trade up. I think the new one is cheaper than what I paid in the eighties.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2018, 9:56 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Bladeracer you were just looking for an excuse to get another Ruger. Feeling a bit tempted myself, after 30 years and 10,000 rounds my old 77/22 owes me nothing and it might be time to trade up. I think the new one is cheaper than what I paid in the eighties.

I don't need any excuses, just more safes :-)
Could my 10/22 have cost me $220 in 1983 - seems a lot? I can't recall, but I think the 788 in .222Rem was $199.
Got lots more Rugers to buy yet!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles