Rolling block ideas

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rolling block ideas

Post by Tripod » 30 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm

I am pondering what to build on a Rolling block action I have bought, My thoughts are to build a long heavy octagonal barrel rifle in a larger calibre like 9.3x74, 45-120 or 50-110 but there were so many fantastic old rimmed cartridges the possibilities are huge. So what would you build or suggest I build?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Rolling block ideas

Post by yoshie » 30 Jan 2018, 8:10 pm

444 marlin
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Noisydad » 30 Jan 2018, 9:32 pm

Any of the original "Big.50's" would be the go. Dont think about it - DO IT! There's something particularly satisfying about reloading these big fat shells. Dunno wether it's the feel of the perfect weight for dimensions of the loaded round or what. They just feel and look good :-)
When you take the plunge I can tell you where to get dies and cases immediately but the cases aint cheap, My Starline .50-70 cases were $3.50 each and that was the cheapest source.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 30 Jan 2018, 9:50 pm

Oh and make sure the stock has a high enough comb on it to accommodate a tall vernier sight wound way up or you'll never even have your cheek touching the stock at the higher sight settings.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 30 Jan 2018, 9:54 pm

Noisydad wrote:Any of the original "Big.50's" would be the go. Dont think about it - DO IT! There's something particularly satisfying about reloading these big fat shells. Dunno wether it's the feel of the perfect weight for dimensions of the loaded round or what. They just feel and look good :-)
When you take the plunge I can tell you where to get dies and cases immediately but the cases aint cheap, My Starline .50-70 cases were $3.50 each and that was the cheapest source.

The action is on the way and I just sent off an email to see how long my favourite barrel maker can make me a barrel in 45 or 50, I am thinking 34 inch straight octagonal. All that's left to decide is which cartridge and that may come down to brass and die availability.
So who are you suggesting for dies and cases? Forbes?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Noisydad » 30 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm

Here you go...
.50-70
.50-90
.50-110
Attachments
18506EBC-8C4A-49BF-A936-6808AF1275FD.jpeg
18506EBC-8C4A-49BF-A936-6808AF1275FD.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3108 times
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 30 Jan 2018, 10:16 pm

This bloke is one of our club members and will likely have dies and cases in stock. If you want weird stuff Roger has it!
Attachments
7556A521-E8BF-4111-8441-E003E6549C12.jpeg
7556A521-E8BF-4111-8441-E003E6549C12.jpeg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 31 Jan 2018, 7:05 am

Noisydad wrote:Oh and make sure the stock has a high enough comb on it to accommodate a tall vernier sight wound way up or you'll never even have your cheek touching the stock at the higher sight settings.

I was actually thinking to put a 6x 30inch Malcolm scope on it.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Jan 2018, 7:17 am

G'day Tripod,
You will in all probability be limited to 70mm cartridge length. The 50-90 will not load in a rolling block due to fouling on the hammer nose, so Remington only offered them in 50-70 (Custer had one at Little Big Horn). Get your action and talk to your gunsmith before buying any cartridge stuff like cases dies etc. You will also find the long 45's wont chamber either. If your gunsmith is amenable, the hammer nose can be ground down to give a bit more clearance for the 90mm case, but most attempts I have seen didn't work reliably. The 50-70 can be loaded up to give very impressive results, but talk to Roger as he has built a lot of these types of rifle, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 31 Jan 2018, 7:28 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Tripod,
You will in all probability be limited to 70mm cartridge length. The 50-90 will not load in a rolling block due to fouling on the hammer nose, so Remington only offered them in 50-70 (Custer had one at Little Big Horn). Get your action and talk to your gunsmith before buying any cartridge stuff like cases dies etc. You will also find the long 45's wont chamber either. If your gunsmith is amenable, the hammer nose can be ground down to give a bit more clearance for the 90mm case, but most attempts I have seen didn't work reliably. The 50-70 can be loaded up to give very impressive results, but talk to Roger as he has built a lot of these types of rifle, Cheers.

They need to have a groove machined into the top of the hammer to use the longer cases, I was watching a Youtube clip of one built in 50-110 and it was just touching as he loaded and un-loaded it.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Jan 2018, 8:21 am

Original chamberings in rolling blocks went up to .50-70, although there were very early conversions in .58Roberts centrefire. The action is best suited to "shorter" cases. You'll strike problems with longer cartriges than the .45-70, the hammer height interferes with them chambering. I've seen one built in .45-90 and it was a bugger to feed rounds into, especially with long, heavy bullets.
If you want something a little different than the norm, .44-77 was an original chambering and renowned to be quite accurate. There was a .44-90 also.
My advice would be to chamber it in .45-70. Cheaper, available brass, an original chambering, plenty of reliable reloading information, renowned for long range accuracy and very easy to get shooting that way. :thumbsup:
If you build it with about a 30", heavy, octagonal barrel and keep its overall weight to a maximum of 12lbs, you can shoot BPCR silhouette with us. Especially now that you have a 500m range at Bluehills in Tassie. :D
The above pertains to black-powder loadings. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 31 Jan 2018, 11:44 am

[quote="Gamerancher
The above pertains to black-powder loadings. :drinks:[/quote]
What? There are other kinds? :shock:
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2018, 12:14 pm

"Custer had one at the Little Big Horn"

Maybe not the best recommendation !! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Jan 2018, 12:26 pm

Noisey, yeah, Fg , FFg, FFFg,.......Swiss, Wano, Goex....man there's heaps of different ones! :lol:

Good hit brother. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles