New Tikka T3 bolt/feed issue...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Tikka T3 bolt/feed issue...

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

Hi folks...

Taken delivery of a new T3 and im a little concerned about the bolt with it not feeding rounds smoothly.

The bolt seems to function as normal when cycled empty.
But when cycled with FL sized case &/or snap cap fed into the chamber (from either dropped in ejection port or magazine fed), the bolt doesn't want to close & it needs a VERY FIRM "push" forward & down, just as if you were trying to feed an over sized/very tight case into the chamber.

Once the tight spot has been passed, (basically the transition from the bolt moving forward to down direction) the bolt closes with the usual Tikka ease.

Its chambered in 22-250, and i have a 7-08 in the exact same model, so i swapped bolts & there is no problem with the bolt out of the 7-08.
From what i can see, there is no difference in the appearance of the bolt face, or the 'bits' (its general form) on it.

It appears to be something to do with the bolt picking up the case...
Once the initial "force" has been pushed through, there is no problem chambering the round, as long as its not been fully ejected--or de-coupled if you will from the bolt.

I am in the process of loading ammo, (just sizing cases actually-as per this recent topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9470).
I have the opportunity to go and shoot it tomorrow, and now im concerned about doing so.

The rifle was bought cheap as a model runout--when i purchased it i had concerns of it being a re-pack job as it was so dam cheap--and it looks to be the case, as one can easily tell the original packaging has been opened, with the normal Tikka supplied posidrive bit being non existant, & a standard allen key supplied in its place in a cheapo small zip locked bag...the bag the instructions are in is non-existant and the yellow plastic bag the rifle is in is considerably crumpled, and the rifle is very dry--a considerable lack of packing grease & oil, with what appears to be a small spot of rust on the stainless bolt etc.etc.

Anyway, im yet to organise to have a look down the tube of this rifle (as i normally do with a new rifle), so now im worried about shooting it without a full check--but im also itching to shoot it tomorrow--i could break the barrel & form brass tomorrow, get a basic load the following weekend & then be-head foxes the weekend after...if i send it back to Beretta, ill have to wait for a minimum of 2 months before i get the/a new rifle...not to mention no doubt a sh1t fight with beretta.

Any suggestions on what to do...?...what to check for...? ...just go shoot it tomorrow...?...send it back & deal with it...?!?
(im so annoyed---i need this rifle for (what i call) fox season--March to June--if i send this back, ill miss out on my new fox outfit for this season, and i missed it last year too...waah!!!) :thumbsdown: :( :thumbsdown: :( :thumbsdown: :x
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: New Tikka T3 bolt/feed issue...

Post by hazza3006 » 09 Feb 2018, 9:09 pm

It almost sounds like lack of enough head space. If so I'd be a bit concerned with live firing as the case would be under considerable pre compression. For full length resized cases the bolt should close with ease.

Either way id be taking it back to gun shop to demonstrate the issue, even if was at a discounted price.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

hazza3006 wrote:It almost sounds like lack of enough head space. If so I'd be a bit concerned with live firing as the case would be under considerable pre compression. For full length resized cases the bolt should close with ease.

Either way id be taking it back to gun shop to demonstrate the issue, even if was at a discounted price.

Thats what i thought initially...
But i added a small paragraph to the initial post...

It seems to be something to do with the bolt picking up the case--maybe the ejector or something...as once the case has been chambered, you can work the bolt & case in & out of the chamber easily, as long as the case is not "ejected" from the bolt/as long as the bolt still has grip/control of the case...
(I hope that makes sense)...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2018, 9:30 pm

hazza3006 wrote:It almost sounds like lack of enough head space. If so I'd be a bit concerned with live firing as the case would be under considerable pre compression. For full length resized cases the bolt should close with ease.

totally agree, take it back and let them sort it out :thumbsup:
the onus is on them to fix it :drinks:
they are a good rifle as you know and you will be happy when it's right :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

It seems to be something to do with the bolt picking up the case--almost like the ejector/the clip bit if you will sliding over the case is tight--...as once the bolt has gone past the tight spot & before the bolt has fully closed and the case has been chambered, you can work the bolt & case in & out of the chamber easily, as long as the case is not "ejected" from the bolt/as long as the bolt still has grip/control of the case...
(I hope that makes sense)...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

does make sense, obviously an ejector/extractor problem, but its a warranty claim, take it back :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2018, 10:34 pm

marksman wrote:does make sense, obviously an ejector/extractor problem, but its a warranty claim, take it back :thumbsdown:

Yea...dam it...
Got it interstate...

Im thinking along the lines of ill shoot it first now ive discovered that...

Just in case its a dud shooter...ill try some factories in it with a couple of scopes, & if it doesnt group with anything then ill send it back for a replacement claim.
If it does shoot, ill send it back for the bolt...

Thoughts on that process...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 7gables » 10 Feb 2018, 3:04 am

I'm no expert but I do have 2 of the t3s a 708 & 270 and a t3x 260 all feed easily as they should. From your discription and in examining my bolts I would guess you have corrosion in the plunger/spring of the ejector assembly and or corrosion in the plunger/spring assembly of the extractor. Sense you have 2 bolts I would compare the force needed to move both of these on each. Possibly flushing these plunger/spring assembly's with a thin cleaner/lube would free them up. I know how you feel these little issues drive me nuts till they're figured out . Best of luck, Brian
7gables
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by hazza3006 » 10 Feb 2018, 7:50 am

I wonder if it will loosen / free up a bit after some use? Never heard of Tikka T3 having the issue.

At a minimium make a phone call to the gun shop and explain the situation, put onus on them and seek thier advice.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2018, 7:59 am

"does make sense, obviously an ejector/extractor problem, but its a warranty claim, take it back "

Or just a spray of wd40 or similar and see if that helps.

Just check, does the ejector spring/move in/out freely if you push it in with say the blunt end of a pencil? If so it's OK & and probably it will be the extractor claw.

Is the extractor claw leaving burrs on the cases?
Last edited by Oldbloke on 10 Feb 2018, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Feb 2018, 8:37 am

So, after reading this post and the two others that you have about problems with sizing used cases I'm thinking that the problem may not be with the rifle.
You have said in another post that you have cases that were fired in a very worn chamber in another rifle. Are you still trying to use these cases?
If the cases have "blown out" in an oversize chamber, they may be too long for a new tight chamber, no amount of resizing will bring them back in length, not without crushing the sidewalls anyway.
Your swapping of the bolts gives the indication to me that it is an issue with the cases, DO NOT use the bolt from your other rifle, it obviously gives a different head spacing to the proper bolt.
My suggestion would be to either try some factory ammo or buy yourself a bunch of new cases and start from scratch.

This is a situation where trying to diagnose from a distance isn't the best solution. Sounds like you may have a couple of things going on.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by slickncghia » 10 Feb 2018, 8:46 am

does it have the same issue with factory ammo? id definately grab a pack of factory to make sure its not the incorrectly sized brass as stated above.

because it def sounds a bit headspacy to me.

swapping the 7mm-08 bolt in there and then feeding correctly could also point to headspace. if that bolt if ever so slightly shorter. can you run callipers over both bolts?

are there serial numbers on the bolt of the tikkas?

if it was repackaged there's always the possibility that its not the original bolt that the rifle was headspaced for
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2018, 9:20 am

Gamerancher wrote:So, after reading this post and the two others that you have about problems with sizing used cases I'm thinking that the problem may not be with the rifle.
You have said in another post that you have cases that were fired in a very worn chamber in another rifle. Are you still trying to use these cases?
If the cases have "blown out" in an oversize chamber, they may be too long for a new tight chamber, no amount of resizing will bring them back in length, not without crushing the sidewalls anyway.
Your swapping of the bolts gives the indication to me that it is an issue with the cases, DO NOT use the bolt from your other rifle, it obviously gives a different head spacing to the proper bolt.
My suggestion would be to either try some factory ammo or buy yourself a bunch of new cases and start from scratch.

This is a situation where trying to diagnose from a distance isn't the best solution. Sounds like you may have a couple of things going on.

Yeah, good point gamerancher. He should try a few factory rounds.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 10 Feb 2018, 9:32 am

Stix wrote:
marksman wrote:does make sense, obviously an ejector/extractor problem, but its a warranty claim, take it back :thumbsdown:

Yea...dam it...
Got it interstate...

Im thinking along the lines of ill shoot it first now ive discovered that...

Just in case its a dud shooter...ill try some factories in it with a couple of scopes, & if it doesnt group with anything then ill send it back for a replacement claim.
If it does shoot, ill send it back for the bolt...

Thoughts on that process...?

Its a warranty issue, you will not have to pay postage, its warranty for the seller as well
dont play with it send it back, you could do damage that they will say the whole thing is because of you
no warranty then
the extractor is not slipping over the case rim properly, could be a burr :unknown:
most probably they have a smith in your area that you can take it to and they will get the bill :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

Hey guys...im back at it...

Im of the belief its the (is it called the claw...?) not slipping over the case rim/head properly...as marksman has mentioned from my description.
Ive had a reasonable look at it in sunlight & cant see anything obviously wrong with it though.

The problem exists with all/any case, old new, sized, unsized or new factory rounds...but it doesnt happen with ANY case when i use the bolt from the other rifle.

So i believe its nothing to do with the old cases...and everything to do with the bolt itself.

I did post different threads believing they are different problems (this one, and the sizing thread), it just so happens that the different issues are to do with the one rifle...

Thanks to those diligent enough to wade through the other posts to see if there is a link...

Gamerancher, dont worry mate i wont use the other bolt--i only pulled it out to check and see if the same happened with the other bolt knowing they are the same face---& its a good thing i had it really, as its given me the opportunity to narrow it down pretty confidently...

Slick, yes, the bolts have serial numbers--thats the first thing i checked before putting them down next to each other...

I was so disapointed last night, and tired, i slipped when putting the bolt back together at 1am & lost the allen key out of the firing pin mechanism before i got the bolt back together...so i managed to get it sorted & decided id better give up & get some shut eye...it topped off a miserable night...

Think ill make the call to Beretta on Monday & see what they want me to do about it--send it back or send it to a local smith...

Thanks guys...if anyone has any further wisdom on the matter feel free to post it...and in any case ill let you know what happens...

Cheers...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by rsj223 » 10 Feb 2018, 11:17 pm

My T3 .308 was very firm with PPU at the point I was to cared to push the bolt, LGS took the bolt apart chambered a few round without the pin he said it was firm, lubed it up and much better after a few rounds now.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 13 Feb 2018, 5:52 pm

both my 308 and 22-250 do it with some brands of rounds
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

I've got a Tikka T3 in 243w. and have found in hard to load single rounds dropped in onto the mag sometimes. I think its to do with the bolt not picking up the round and aligning it up with the chamber correctly.. All i've done is used the 3 round mag. and depressed the floor plate so the lips come up as per photo 4. I think the photos will explain it better. Also, see the inside cover of your manual page 4 items 7, 8 & 9.

mag1.jpg
mag1.jpg (167.14 KiB) Viewed 6597 times

mag3.jpg
mag3.jpg (204.34 KiB) Viewed 6597 times

mag4.jpg
mag4.jpg (149.62 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 13 Feb 2018, 10:30 pm

marksman wrote:
Its a warranty issue, you will not have to pay postage, its warranty for the seller as well
dont play with it send it back, you could do damage that they will say the whole thing is because of you
no warranty then
the extractor is not slipping over the case rim properly, could be a burr :unknown:
most probably they have a smith in your area that you can take it to and they will get the bill :drinks:

Sorry mate but the dealer isn't responsible for getting the rifle back to their shop for a warranty, It's the interstate buyers cost to bear

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Feb 2018, 5:03 am

Hi rj...
Maybe im a bit slow, but Im not exactly sure i follow what you mean in regard to your mag...

But i dont think its a mag feed issue mate...
Its only at the end of the forward motion of the bolt throw i get resistance...
Once the bolt has the round there is no problem--ie; can work the bolt with no resistance...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 7gables » 24 Feb 2018, 3:24 am

Just curious if you got it figured out and what the fix was? Brian
7gables
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Stix » 24 Feb 2018, 9:30 am

7gables wrote:Just curious if you got it figured out and what the fix was? Brian

Well its not figured for sure...but...here's the latest.

I rang Beretta, they suggested take it to a local shop first, & do what the shop says--shoot it/send it back.
The shop dont think there is an issue & said shoot it...nor does another experienced shooter--neither of them can feel the problem now.
But having said that, i had probably chambered a good 30 odd cases by then & had noticed the resistance was significantly reduced but was still easily noticable.
Somehow between my last chambering a case & a fellow shooter & shop getting it, the problem had almost 'disappeared'...

I took it to the range & farm & got 20-something rounds down her, & did feel the resistance on just a few.
Ill chamber all the fired cases later on & see how the feel & report back.

I still suspect its the claw on the bolt maybe has or had a burr or something.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Feb 2018, 10:07 am

"Istill suspect its the claw on the bolt maybe has or had a burr or something"

Have put a drop of light lube on it? Say sewing machine oil?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Feb 2018, 10:42 am

Oldbloke wrote:"Istill suspect its the claw on the bolt maybe has or had a burr or something"

Have put a drop of light lube on it? Say sewing machine oil?

Yep...

Ill pull it out later and have a play...let you know how it goes/feels
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2018, 11:26 am

Sounds like you burr theory might be on the mark. Try a spent case chambered and just work the bolt in and out of battery for a while. Just lift and clise the handle. Then go try some live rounds.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by pomemax » 24 Feb 2018, 3:46 pm

Is this the first Tikka you have owned .
Because they have a feature built in to them that some people never know I found out by accident when i was having feed problems was back and forth to the The Gunsmith found out Via Sako i sent them an email ,it was the way I was fitting a loaded mag into the rifle sounds weird till you try it load you mag with the bolt in the forward position its sort of a safety thing
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles