Does barrel heat affect group size

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Does barrel heat affect group size

Post by brett1868 » 22 Feb 2018, 3:02 pm

To answer the question this time....Yes, barrel temp will affect group size but it's one of a number of factors contributing to blowouts. For a light barreled hunting rifle then set your zero on the first cold bore shot cause that's probably how it'll be most of the time. Ammunition should be kept at a consistent temperature cause it'll move around as temps vary, not a lot @ hunting distances but enough at distance to hurt your score. I took the time to make a timber ammo box for the big gun just to insulate the ammo from the days temp variations and to keep them suspended pointy end down.

IMG_3999.jpg
IMG_3999.jpg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 23 Feb 2018, 10:45 am

That's great on electronic when you can fire in a chosen patch of wind but when you're stuck in the medieval period with clunk manuasl targets, your shooting pace is somewhat dictated by who ever is in the butts...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 23 Feb 2018, 10:56 am

:D :lol: There is great debate over that amongst some that are against the rapid fire technique and want delays put in electronic targets. Personally I think let the electronic targets be the technique can work for you and against you. There was never a level playing field with manual targets.
Then there are those that question the accuracy of them. I have been at comps with manual targets and some competitors question the marker repeatedly I find that a pain, then sometimes they are right and the marker was making mistakes. So errors are just as present if not more with manual markers.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles