Old school question

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Old school question

Post by Grizzle » 20 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

I have question. My father served two tours of duty in WW2. He taught me to use my second finger on the trigger, his theory was that if you lay your index finger along the rifle, it always point to the exact target. Try it, point at what you're aiming at, second finger on the target. Let me know what you think. This works very well with offhand pistol
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Old school question

Post by Daddybang » 20 Feb 2018, 8:07 pm

I'm breaking out the .222 tomorrow and it's got iron sights at the moment so will have to give it a run!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 21 Feb 2018, 8:13 am

If true, it would be a widely known and adopted technique. Using the up yours finger is more for when you wish to cycle the bolt quickly .
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Feb 2018, 9:08 am

Id imagine that would be a waste of ammo for me--completely learning a new technique, & trying to break the second nature technique ive had since before i can remember...

Kinda like trying to excite a woman with my big toe... (can i say that)...it'd be fumbling, cumbersome & lack the required finesse...if ya know what i mean...!!

I agree with Supaduke for rapid firing when cycling bolt on a repeater.

But ill give it a go...& if my ol'man told me that, id at least believe it worked for him...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Feb 2018, 11:39 am

I don't speak from first-hand knowledge but the Lee Enfield was not a comfortable target rifle that suited every physique, although length of pull variations were catered for by a change in butt length. Those small people, like myself, were not at all happy with the angle of the butt's "wrist", which was practically straight, as befits a fighting rifle. In NRAA competition, the issue rifle could not be altered AFAIK and target shooters of the day resorted to using their imagination to achieve a comfortable grip on the "Smelly's" handle. This resulted in positioning the middle finger in line with the trigger, instead of the forefinger. Some of those people competed at no disadvantage, again AFAIK.
Just thought I'd mention that, FWIW.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2018, 12:12 pm

I have heard of this before as well. In fact, for about a year I was shooting exactly like this. Another advantage of this technique is that it helps you to break the trigger in a direct line rewards without torqueing the grip with your master hand, which often happens and results in fliers when using the index finger.
For some reason I stopped shooting like this. Probably because I saw some other suggested technique and decided to try that. Maybe I should go back to the FU finger and see what happens...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:If true, it would be a widely known and adopted technique. Using the up yours finger is more for when you wish to cycle the bolt quickly .

Not necessarily so, mate. There has been a distinct lack in the passing on of a lot of old techniques and a dropping of proven methods due to the "latest & greatest". Geoff Ailing often bemoans the loss of basic shooting techniques in his newsletter. He blames the selfishness of a certain generation of shooters who didn't want to teach people to be better than them... he may be right... what ever the reason, many new shooters are left to figure things out for themselves or glean what ever they can from the confusing instructor that is the internet.

:unknown: :unknown: :unknown: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 6:26 pm

Tried it and think it would take a lot more time than I had to get used to it. I was shooting leftie with a right handed bolt so no advantage workin the bolt for me and my accuracy was not worth talking about but that was definitely me not the technique. :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Grizzle » 22 Feb 2018, 6:42 pm

Daddybang, I think it would take a while to get it right. I did try it with pistols many years ago, seemed to work for. I always use it with the shot gun, can't hit a thing without using it
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Slant225 » 22 Feb 2018, 6:47 pm

The "mad minute" style of shooting a SMLE requires the shooter to use the second finger to keep the thumb and index finger on the bolt.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 22 Feb 2018, 6:48 pm

Stix wrote:Id imagine that would be a waste of ammo for me--completely learning a new technique, & trying to break the second nature technique ive had since before i can remember...

Kinda like trying to excite a woman with my big toe... (can i say that)...it'd be fumbling, cumbersome & lack the required finesse...if ya know what i mean...!!

But ill give it a go...& if my ol'man told me that, id at least believe it worked for him...!

images (4).jpeg
images (4).jpeg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2018, 6:56 pm

Grizzle wrote:Daddybang, I think it would take a while to get it right. I did try it with pistols many years ago, seemed to work for. I always use it with the shot gun, can't hit a thing without using it

Yep I could see where it would be handy once mastered.....I was along way off that but!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
Stix wrote:Id imagine that would be a waste of ammo for me--completely learning a new technique, & trying to break the second nature technique ive had since before i can remember...

images (4).jpeg

LMFAO....!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2018, 7:13 pm

Grizzle wrote:Daddybang, I think it would take a while to get it right. I did try it with pistols many years ago, seemed to work for. I always use it with the shot gun, can't hit a thing without using it

I do use this technique with my nerf gun when mowing down my nephew & his friends...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2018, 8:07 am

Yep, A W.O. taught me that method with the 9mm Owen gun, so him being a W.O. I humoured him and it sorta worked... :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles