Steyr Scout Ranger

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Steyr Scout Ranger

Post by burek » 02 Mar 2018, 10:55 am

Hey guys. Anyone here have one of these that can't shed some light on the bare rifle weight of it?

There seems to be zero info online on the specs for this model and the shops in my proximity only have it as an order in item. They tell me the same weight as the standard scout but this seems wrong to me. I have tried in person the elite and the scout. I know it will be somewhere in between :D but exact weight would be nice.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Steyr Scout Ranger

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Mar 2018, 12:17 pm

According to the Steyr site the Scout is 6.6 pounds or 3kg empty.
Couldn't find any reference on the official site of a Ranger model, a search for the word Ranger returned no results
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 02 Mar 2018, 12:19 pm

For what its worth the QLD gun exchange site says 6.6 pounds. I don't know how that compares to the standard scout? Did you like them? I always kind of liked the look, but I heard bad things about the inbuilt bipod.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by burek » 02 Mar 2018, 12:30 pm

Yeah, I am 99.99% sure that the 6.6 pounds (3kg) is just a copy and paste from the standard. Has to be a bit heavier but QLD Gun Exchange even told me on the phone 3kg. I don't think they truly know. :)

Just watched the review from Ozziereviews. He says 3.6kg, ugh. That again sounds higher than I expected but then again could be about right.

Yeah I do like the look of them and looks are important hehe. The regular thin barrel on the standard scout just looks a bit awkward.

They seem kind of practical for swapping different optics configurations around for example red dot in scout position or standard scope position plus light/illuminator mounted in the scout rail position. Plus of course the compact design.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fxol » 04 Mar 2018, 8:48 pm

i can weigh mine tomorrow

awesome rifle.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Archie » 06 Mar 2018, 6:37 pm

If you like them (the scout generally, not the ranger version specifically) you might find this interesting.

https://youtu.be/qucXL7GzoVg
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DEADMEAT » 09 Mar 2018, 9:08 am

I got a Ranger scout and a .223 Steyr scout. Ranger weights a s**t tonne, especially when loaded up with 20 rounds and a yooge 24x Viper up top. They are not nice to carry around. They are not nice to be next to either. Probably not nice to be in the crosshairs of.
DEADMEAT
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by burek » 09 Mar 2018, 10:27 am

Yeah. :D If 3.6kg is the starting weight, by the time I mount this Steiner brick I have left over from a sold gun plus detachable rings it should come in at about 4.25kg before ammo.

Thanks for confirming my doubts. Fkin nice gun though. I guess the regular scout is still an option.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fxol » 10 Mar 2018, 7:46 am

Not sure I agree. I whacked a 1.5 - 6 x 30 on mine. It's a great, compact set up - depends what you want to set it up for I guess. It has the capacity to carry 20 rounds but i never will so that extra weight is not an issue.
It points beautifully and is as accurate as hell. I will weigh mine today!
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by fxol » 11 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

Ok, heavier than i remembered. Unloaded, but scoped, best part of 9 3/4lbs or 4.5kgs.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles