CZ 527...Straight comb stock or Lux...?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: CZ 527...Straight comb stock or Lux...?

Post by Apollo » 06 Mar 2018, 6:27 pm

Depends on the actual brand of Scope. Leupold have a smaller ocular housing than a lot of most others like Bushnell and the bolt clears fine with low mounts.

There is quite a difference when you look up all the specs for each brand of scope.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Mar 2018, 6:45 pm

funny you should say that apollo, out of the scopes i have on hand i fitted a 3-9x40 bushnell trophy on my cz 452 cause it fitted better than a zeiss scope i had. still gotta hold the bolt a certain way so ya fingers clear the scope but. the zeiss went on my krico 22 , matched german enginering..... :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Mar 2018, 7:42 pm

Daddybang wrote:I bought the missus a 527-2 lux 222 the and it's one of the nicest shooting rifles I've used .. and that's a leftie shooting a right bolt. Don't know if there's an advantage as such over the straight comb but it was very easy to get used to. Finding rings for it has been a pita as 3/8 are to small & 5/8 are to big .I think they're 15mm. Ended up getting some from a mates collection. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Hey DB...how do you with cheekweld...got much...got any...
Im necessarily interested in how you normaly shoot, but rather if you get any decent cheek contact to stock with it...

Ive found a pic online where the user claims they have no problem, but the scope appears to be a mile above the stock...

Ill try post it later...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 06 Mar 2018, 8:04 pm

Hey stix the photo shows my normal weld with the cz. Its a little lower than say the mod 70 . If I was shooting right handed I think the cheek "rest" would force my head lower to be comfortable. If that makes sense.
Anyway the photo probably says it better than me. :lol: :drinks:

20180306_195240.jpg
20180306_195240.jpg (673.03 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Mar 2018, 9:30 pm

Gees db...nice stock...!!!
Had to get up to check my safe--thought you mite have lifted my sako... :lol:
2018-03-06 21.46.02.jpg
Fiddleback
2018-03-06 21.46.02.jpg (316.19 KiB) Viewed 6319 times

Thanks for that...
Ive had a brief look but cant find any drop at comb/drop at heel dimensions between the 2 different models..

I do have a martini 222 that i have little cheeck weld with & im not a fan.

You've explained well & the pic is great...!!!
But i cant see the rear iron sight--did you have any issues with the scope clearing the rear sight...?

I think its too high for my preference, i usually prefer to have more contact...
But im still not completely discounting it...however now i want one with as good timber as yours...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 06 Mar 2018, 10:37 pm

Yeah she's a pretty piece of wood :D
But that sako's got some class :thumbsup:
If the cz was any larger cal I'd want to be able to get a bit snugger (is that a word :unknown: :lol: ) but it works great as a 222
The 6×40 that's on it at the moment just sits below the level of the rear site but ya don't see it thru the scope. its a dovetail so I could tap it out if it was a problem. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Mar 2018, 11:37 pm

Nah mate, its not snugger...think its snugger'er...!! :lol:
Seriously though,thanks for that daddybang...thats more help than id get in a lot of shops...!!!
And thanks to all...you are all right, it is to do with the sights...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 07 Mar 2018, 7:21 am

No worries stix..first time my mug has been called helpful!!! :lol:
Another pic to show the objective behind rear site. As ya can see a smaller bell on the objective wouldn't be a problem!! :thumbsup:

20180307_071118.jpg
20180307_071118.jpg (803.45 KiB) Viewed 6305 times

Also one to show clearance of bolt on the tube of scope. Personally I wouldn't want them any lower. :thumbsup: :drinks:

20180307_071159.jpg
20180307_071159.jpg (657.24 KiB) Viewed 6305 times

:drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Mar 2018, 4:16 pm

nice sako stix. looks like the stock is made out of recycled tigers ! unusual grain. gotta take care with nice timber but.I'm OCD when it comes to looking after my rifles, i almost cried when i saw the dents in the stock of my 70 winnie super grade from the handbrake in my mates ute. live and learn, sniff,sniff. those factory CZ mounts do seem to sit high DB. they suit my big block head well but !
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 07 Mar 2018, 5:42 pm

bigrich wrote:nice sako stix. looks like the stock is made out of recycled tigers ! unusual grain. gotta take care with nice timber but.I'm OCD when it comes to looking after my rifles, i almost cried when i saw the dents in the stock of my 70 winnie super grade from the handbrake in my mates ute. live and learn, sniff,sniff. those factory CZ mounts do seem to sit high DB. they suit my big block head well but !

I know what ya mean Bigrich my noggin ain't exactly small either!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2018, 11:49 pm

Well ironically a guy pulled up on the bench mext to me today with a cz 527 lux in of all things the very round im wanting...a...22 hornet...!!
And he was kind enough to let me shoot it too...!!!
I was pleasantly surprised that the drop on the stock (comb) was not as bad as i thought it would be...

But gees the set trigger was light on this unit--i assume he's worked it some, but my thick tradesman skin just could not 'feel' the trigger before it dropped...it was what i consider way too light for what id use it for--a field rifle...& yet the normal trigger (not set) was too heavy...

A couple of other things i didnt like were the mag was very tight to get in & out--not something you (well i) would want if using on a busy spotlighting jaunt...
& i also didnt realise you cant drop a round in from the top...

Apart from these details it was a nice rifle hands down...

Does anyone know if you can drop a round in from the ejection port with the old brno zkm's or fox's...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 8:42 am

never tried that on the zkm i had stix, mags can be fussy in the foxes as well. which is why i like my krico's....... :D .if you look at a old zkm, make sure it's got a good original barrel, or if it's rebarreled , it's been done properly. the zkm i bought online was rebarreled by a hunter in NSW who must have been having a crack at smithing , as his name was stamped on the barrel ,( wont put it up here ). the barrel profile was thinner than original, and no barrel band was fitted that bolts to the stock. this rifle shot 3" groups at 100 and rather than put more money into it i moved it on . the set triggers are something you'll either love or hate. me personally i didn't like 'em. hope some of this helps stix
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 8:50 am

other alternatives to CZ/BRNO .have ya considered Weihrauch do a 22 hornet , i can vouch for the qaulity and accuracy of the 22 mag i owned. do ya self a favour stix, there are gunshops that sell weihrauch down there, go and check out a HW60J 22 hornet. you'll fall in love with it . fantastic adjustable comp triggers as standard as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2018, 9:10 am

The set trigger can be adjusted by turning the screw located in front of the trigger no need to disassemble. My magazine drops clear as soon as I press the release so maybe the one ya used was a non genuine magazine?? :unknown:
I like a heavier trigger so the normal trigger suits me :thumbsup:
To be honest I've never tried to drop a round in it from the top I always feedem from the magazine but will try when I get a chance and let ya know how it goes :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 5:54 pm

get out of it DB, i'm trying to win stix over to the dark side . vedy gud jerman enjineeered gunz ! dumbkoff ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :crazy:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2018, 6:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: good onya bigrich!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 3:58 pm

hey fellas, was surfing the net and hatchers do some nice stocks for 527 CZ . even a thumbhole for some serious sniping ! check it out hatchers rifle stocks. sorry , cant post links, computer illiterate :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles