Uberti 66

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Uberti 66

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2018, 2:42 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Whilst I admire your ingenuity in manufacturing your adapter plate to mount the Williams sight on this rifle, you may want to consider the rules if you were thinking about using it for CLAS competition.

4.1.1 Rear sights: May be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle
they are mounted on,
if requested by a Match Official or the Technical Committee
the competitor must provide documentary evidence of this. No Olympic type sights
or extended mounts are permitted. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be
hooded or if interchangable may use post or bead inserts only.

Bugger - that puts the Uberti out then. Accuracy with the original sights is non-existent :-(
I can't see any other way to mount a peep or tang sight without drilling the receiver, which I'm not going to do. I also can't see any value at all in putting the original sights back on, but I might look at putting some Ruger Fire Sights on her instead.

To build this Uberti into a rifle that is only suitable for competition would be an atrocity, so that isn't an option.
Being out of CLAS though gives me an excuse to mount a scope (why I left the mount plate long) and see what she's really capable of, thanks GR :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2018, 2:45 pm

My plan today was to shoot her at 40m, 50m, 75m and 100m and record the sight settings and holds, oh well :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Apr 2018, 4:30 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Whilst I admire your ingenuity in manufacturing your adapter plate to mount the Williams sight on this rifle, you may want to consider the rules if you were thinking about using it for CLAS competition.

4.1.1 Rear sights: May be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle
they are mounted on,
if requested by a Match Official or the Technical Committee
the competitor must provide documentary evidence of this. No Olympic type sights
or extended mounts are permitted. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be
hooded or if interchangable may use post or bead inserts only.

GR I have a Marble tang and Lyman interchangable front (with the blade insert) on my 1892 repo - would that still be legal for CLAS do you think?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2018, 4:55 pm

in2anity wrote:GR I have a Marble tang and Lyman interchangable front (with the blade insert) on my 1892 repo - would that still be legal for CLAS do you think?

I think the problem is that I've mounted it to avoid drilling the receiver is all? If I drill and tap the receiver and mount the Williams directly to it I think it'd be okay?

I am curious what an "Olympic type" sight is though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 19 Apr 2018, 9:50 pm

The tang and the 17A foresight should be ok, provided that the Marbles wasn’t made specifically for another rifle.

Olympic type sights refers to Anschutz Smallbore Type sights as used in Olympic competition it is not such of an issue here but has been an issue in the US.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Apr 2018, 10:40 am

groundhog wrote:The tang and the 17A foresight should be ok, provided that the Marbles wasn’t made specifically for another rifle.

Olympic type sights refers to Anschutz Smallbore Type sights as used in Olympic competition it is not such of an issue here but has been an issue in the US.

Thanks GH :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles