Air rifle for the kids

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Air rifle for the kids

Post by Mik01 » 07 Mar 2018, 8:38 pm

Hi, new here, so thanks in advance for helping me.
Can anyone recommend a quiet air rifle, that is lightweight, for my kids to learn to shoot with on my property?
I’ve got 3 kids of younger ages.
I’m unsure about the c02 due to price of cartridges and hassle of buying them, so what other brand and option do you use?
Obviously I will supervise, but it needs to be easy for the kids to use. It’s really just a learner, so it also needs to be cheap.
Cheers, Mike
Mik01
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Air rifle for the kids

Post by axio » 08 Mar 2018, 9:46 pm

Diana 11 .177
Fibre iron sights
After each reload the safety engages, which is good for kids as they have to press it each time to fire (or annoying for adults lol)

Be mindful with break action it can be tough on little kids strength wise to reload, all depends if you are planning to reload every single shot for them if they complain its too hard.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sawyers » 09 Mar 2018, 1:51 am

i have a Dianna 21 .177 and my kids love shooting it, its cheap accurate and can take abit of a beating, personally ibwouldnt have a thumb hole stock if its a learners rifle . Also both the Dianna 11 & 21 are fairly underpowerd for vermin controll, decent on rats and small birdsbut nothing sny bigger
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Mik01 » 09 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm

Thanks guys. I really just want a learner for them to shoot cans etc. is there another option other than break action ie lever? Probably not an issue re break action as I want to closely supervise them, so I’m happy to reload for them. The Diana looks ok. Is it quiet?
Mik01
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2018, 7:42 pm

axio wrote:Be mindful with break action it can be tough on little kids strength wise to reload, all depends if you are planning to reload every single shot for them if they complain its too hard.

Qld kids have to be at least eleven-years-old to even handle firearms so I would think they'd be strong enough for a break-action air rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Mar 2018, 8:08 pm

Mik01 wrote:Thanks guys. I really just want a learner for them to shoot cans etc. is there another option other than break action ie lever? Probably not an issue re break action as I want to closely supervise them, so I’m happy to reload for them. The Diana looks ok. Is it quiet?

Gday mic
If ya want a lever might pay to look at bb guns my lgs has one for $150 hrand new. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 Mar 2018, 8:43 pm

I actually like the idea of break barrels for teaching young kids as I know that they can't cock it. Just adds another layer of safety.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Thom318 » 09 Mar 2018, 9:21 pm

I've had a very quick look at cheap air rifles to teach my better half, no hunting involved, and I'm leaning towards the Crosman pumpmaster or the Daisy 901 kit, mainly because they're dirt cheap and pump style. Biggest problem is the license addition fee is more than the lil pop sticks themselves so I'd have to buy myself another proper one to make it worth while
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 09 Mar 2018, 9:47 pm

Anything by Gamo. Cheap, reliable and generally quite accurate.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles