omark 44

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

omark 44

Post by Baldrick » 09 Mar 2018, 5:58 am

Hi from Canada,
I just bought an Omark 44 Australian target rifle. I haven't fired it yet but I loved the look of it and had to buy it as soon as i saw it.
I used to shoot competition target many years ago and thought I would like to take up the sport again, with this rifle.
I need some help though. I can find very little information on this gun and so started playing with it, measuring barrel length, twist etc.
I decided to check the firing pin and so with bolt removed rotated the rear of the bolt so that the firing pin is exposed. But now I can't recock the bolt
which I need to do in order to get the bolt back in the gun. (dumb, I know!!).
I have been able to do this easily with my old Lee Enfield, but in the case of the Omark the piece that has to be moved back and into its recess is very small.
Does anybody know of a way to do this without causing any damage. If so please help me.
One more question. With older rifles I usually reload my own ammunition using fairly light loads. Will this gun be able to handle military issue ammunition?
It is chamber pressure that I am thinking about.
Thanks.
Baldrick
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Re: omark 44

Post by sungazer » 09 Mar 2018, 4:31 pm

You need to check the bolt in an old Omark to make sure it has been upgraded with a new bolt head retaining pin. look it up I think it has been posted here with pictures. The original could sear sending the bolt back into the face of the shooter.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Baldrick » 10 Mar 2018, 8:01 am

Thanks for the warning. I will check this out before trying the rifle.
Baldrick
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Mar 2018, 10:09 am

G'day Baldrick,
To set the shroud back to correct position you will need to use a pair of large adjustable pliers and some heavy cloth or leather strips to protect the surface. With the bolt body in your hand and the rear towards you, rotate the shroud clockwise until it clicks in. You should have a small gap of about 1/32 of an inch between the shroud and the body. What sungazer refers to is the pin upgrade for the bolt head, the new type taper pin is 7mm on the large end and 6mm on the small end. The original pin was much smaller, and was prone to breaking, so the bolt would close OK, but the head, which contains the locking lugs, would not. Disaster then ensued. As for the ammo, any NATO ammo or commercial 308 is safe to fire in an Omark, but many of us have found that a good accurate starting load is around 43.5g of H4895 with a 150 to 155g pill. These rifles were originally designed to fire the Australian Service cartridge, F4, which had a 144g projectile, and will shoot 155 Palma match bullets very well but may struggle with heavier projectiles. They will not take well to the sort of pressures that can be loaded in modern Fullbore actions such as the Barnards and Musgraves but loaded for NATO ammo will hold their own on the range, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick » 17 Mar 2018, 4:42 am

Thanks for this information No1Mk3. I managed to get the bolt back in place as you described. I measured the narrow end of the bolt head retaining pin and it is the larger diameter (relief). Also the reloading info you gave is very useful. I will be shooting 155g bullets which is the maximum allowed in Canadian target rifle shooting competition.
I am assuming that the 155g will perform better than smaller bullets over 1000yds (less wind effect on bullet). I hope this is a correct assumption.
Thanks again for your help.
Baldrick
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by sungazer » 17 Mar 2018, 8:24 am

No they wont but it is the rules. Same here in Australia for some classes. Make sure the bolt closes fully and locks well before shooting as well. I was just chatting with some club members yesterday about accidents that had happened in the past. As for loads I use 45.1 grn of H4895 and that is about the max that you will need in a 30 inch barrel that should get it going at about 3000fps which is good for any 1000yrd target. The bullets of choice are the Berger Hybrid or the Berger fullboar. Second choice would be the Sierra 2155 2156 i think they are the same just qty different.
It is the FT/R boys that are allowed to shoot bullets of different weight and they often use anything from a 168 with the 185 juggernaught popular up to the 200 Hybrid. they will perform better in the wind but need a barrel made to suit them specifically to get the best results. Good luck good to see a new competitor taking up the TR sport it great.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles