Wipe-out Bore Cleaner Foam

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Wipe-out Bore Cleaner Foam

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Mar 2018, 2:42 pm

I've seen some good reviews of Wipe-out Bore Cleaner but I can't find anyone selling it here.
The closest I've found is Brownells selling an attatchment for the can.
Haven't bothered ringing them as their site doesn't mention the foam, just the hose attatchment.
Anyone used it or know where to get it in Oz?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Wipe-out Bore Cleaner Foam

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 2:45 pm

The VRA sell it. I haven't looked at the NSWRA website if they have a shop.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 11 Mar 2018, 7:37 pm

I don't use the foam but use the patchout wipeout and accelerator
probably the best carbon remover I have used
my daughter sends it over from the US for me
highly recommend it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Mar 2018, 8:44 am

Thanks guys.
Still can't find the WO foam, and I read a review yesterday that said it can damage blueing. I'll see if I can get some patch out and try that.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 17 Jul 2018, 9:50 pm

Anyone tried the break free bore cleaning foam?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 18 Jul 2018, 8:23 am

Wipe out contains n-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone but the msds disclosure does not seem to contain anything that actively reacts with copper.
Educate yourself and read the wikipedia article on n-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone.
It might appear to do something in high quality lapped stainless target barrels that don't foul significantly in the first place. Lotsa luck with your average sporter barrel.
If the "its new and the talking head on the internet" propaganda compels you to still use it then do so outdoors and wear solvent resistant gloves like mechanic's nitrile rubber gloves. Might not have any immediate harmful effects but who knows after 10 or 20 years.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 18 Jul 2018, 10:33 am

i did a google on the stuff Straightshooter but did not see what you are alluding to with the Stainless Steel. Can you please eleoborate
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by PaddyT » 18 Jul 2018, 12:46 pm

straightshooter wrote:Wipe out contains n-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone but the msds disclosure does not seem to contain anything that actively reacts with copper.
Educate yourself and read the wikipedia article on n-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone.
It might appear to do something in high quality lapped stainless target barrels that don't foul significantly in the first place. Lotsa luck with your average sporter barrel.
If the "its new and the talking head on the internet" propaganda compels you to still use it then do so outdoors and wear solvent resistant gloves like mechanic's nitrile rubber gloves. Might not have any immediate harmful effects but who knows after 10 or 20 years.

True of any cleaner really, in my previous existence I was an Industrial Chemist and reading the MSDS of most things is pretty daunting, but if you operate on the general principle of working in well ventilated area (if you can continuously smell the product you need more ventilation)and dont let it get on your skin then you should be fine, gloves are an excellent idea. Havent bothered to collect the MSDS's of any of the cleaners ive used but most would contain some nasties. It is however amazing how many motor mechanics wash parts and even their hands in petrol (which is bloody nasty stuff for your liver and central nervous system).
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 18 Jul 2018, 12:50 pm

Try here. Available from Brownells Aus. on back order: -
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... nu_id=1218
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 19 Jul 2018, 6:24 am

i have both the foam and the patch out,forget who i got it from(eastern state,nsw or qld) both work well,haven't noticed any issue's with the bluing but i clean any excess up pretty quickly, patch out would be my pick out of both :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Homer » 22 Jul 2018, 9:54 am

G'Day Fella's,

Gaznazdiak, I've stopped using all other bore solvents, since I started using Wipe-Out, Patch-Out solvent (just the standard liquid version), several years ago.
I'm very happy with the way it works, on Powder, Carbon and Copper fouling.
DSCN0197.JPG
DSCN0197.JPG (250.77 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

You can see the Powder fouling (black colour), Copper fouling (Blue colour) and Carbon fouling (Brown colour), on these patches.
I used to import it, direct from http://www.sinclairintl.com but not sure if you can still do this?

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by No1_49er » 22 Jul 2018, 10:02 am

Sinclair web site says can not ship out of the US.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Jul 2018, 1:51 pm

this is the results from what I thought was a very clean custom stainless barrel after using wipeout patchout and accelerator

needless to say I do not use what I was using at that time anymore
I also use bore tech eliminator for stubborn copper
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 02 Aug 2018, 2:48 pm

Any particular reason people are searching for this rather than using Sweet's 7.62 for copper removal?
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Aug 2018, 3:30 pm

I often wonder if it's false readings from the jags etc that are used that are brass?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 02 Aug 2018, 6:03 pm

Jäger wrote:Any particular reason people are searching for this rather than using Sweet's 7.62 for copper removal?

I don't use this for bad heavy copper removal its more for carbon, and it is the best I have ever seen for that
in my photo the blue patches are copper but the rusty coloured are carbon that I expect was embedded around the throat area
I used sweets for years and for copper I think it is a good one
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Aug 2018, 12:26 am

bigfellascott wrote:I often wonder if it's false readings from the jags etc that are used that are brass?

So why not turn up some out of 316 Stainless rod ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Aug 2018, 10:37 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I often wonder if it's false readings from the jags etc that are used that are brass?

So why not turn up some out of 316 Stainless rod ?

Nice idea however, FWIW, my practice is to put copper solvent on a brush to coat the bore, after I think most of the copper fouling is gone.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 26 Sep 2018, 8:46 pm

Folks,
I have pretty well used all commercially available cleaning solvents . The neat thing about the foaming bore cleaners is that they can START your cleaning process whilst you are busy doing other things. If i am time-poor, i will apply the foam to a bore and leave it to sit for a good 2-3 hours. This man NOT totally remove all the powder and copper fouling but will make the final job much easier.
These days i tend to use a carbon remover first up (to remove carbon and powder residue) then a copper solvent such as BoreTech Eliminator or KG12.... these two in particular very good indeed . The KG12 doesnt rely on turning copper from the Cu3+ to Cu2+ (blue) - it just dissolves the Cu3+ in the barrel quickly .
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles