Chiappa 1892 - 24" 44mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Chiappa 1892 - 24" 44mag

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2018, 11:35 am

overview.jpg
overview.jpg (1022.08 KiB) Viewed 3607 times

muzzle.jpg
muzzle.jpg (984.39 KiB) Viewed 3607 times

action.jpg
action.jpg (592.82 KiB) Viewed 3607 times

transport.jpg
transport.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3607 times

... with a Marbles tang and an Lyman (interchangeable) front sight. TBH it took some time to get this build together; it's hopefully destined for PC-CLAS at Bowral Although I have some load development to do before then; hopefully she shoots straight :?

One thing I noticed is the Winchester 1892 action is considerably more complex than my (modern) Marlins; I see now why history paved it's way toward simpler actions.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Chiappa 1892 - 24" 44mag

Post by in2anity » 18 Mar 2018, 3:39 pm

I'll post my first bunch of groups in case anyone is interested. I had a sample of .429" and .430" projectiles for a total of 30 rounds (15 of each), all loaded with the listed starting load of 20gr AR2205. The point of this excersise was to try to determine whether a larger bullet was more appropriate, and get a rough feel for how inherently accurate the rifle is. Ladder testing to come.

I over ambitiously tried to use the full target aperture to start with, however it was quite difficult to make out the black target due to lack of light (and reflective ink). I had to place my eye very close to the aperture to make it work. About half way through the group it was as if the aperture changed and it became harder to see through. By the end of the group I realized that stupidly the aperture was knocked forward due to the tang hitting my safety glasses :( This invalidated the ENTIRE first group (FYI the lowest shot was the initial sighter):

IMG_7051.jpg
.429" first group
IMG_7051.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

The next group of .429" I switched to red targets and made sure the tang was always upright. Still, I continued trying to use the full-sized aperture which was still proving to be tricky:

IMG_7050.jpg
.429" full aperture
IMG_7050.jpg (76.39 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

I moved onto the .430"s still trying to use the full sized aperture:

IMG_7049.jpg
.430" full aperture
IMG_7049.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

The final .430" I switched to a slightly bigger aperture and instantly regretted not doing it earlier; the target suddenly popped and I was able to aim with much higher fidelity; I could see all the little wobbles as if I were looking through a scope. If only I had given up on the full-sized target aperture earlier :? There was one flyer in that group which I called; so I'll call that group around 2.5moa:

IMG_7048.jpg
.430" final group
IMG_7048.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

I noticed that my AR2205 loads wer quite smoky. Furthermore there was a little unburnt powder on the bolt face. Is this normal? Perhaps I need to increase my crimp?

Another thing, the primers are consistently bulging on one side:

IMG_7053.jpg
Is this normal?
IMG_7053.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

But I've done some reading and I think this is normal for the 92 action; the extractor is the lower part of the bolt face; I read that it depresses back and the softer pistol primer extrudes back a little each shot. If anyone could confirm or contradict this It'd be appreciated.

Overall some mixed results but I think the gun has potential; I'll be happy if I can mechanically average 2moa before heading into some PCCLAS matches. Next step is to order some .430" lead and start on ladder testing. FWIW the barrel slugged to .430".

In2
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 5:49 pm

lever guns are fun aren't they ? ya getting some good groups. the pigs in your reigon are definately stuffed :lol: was out at my local range sighting in my '94. just fitted williams rear peep. might have to look into a lyman front sight for mine. peeps are definately a improvement aren't they. cheers in2anity :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 18 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm

bigrich wrote:lever guns are fun aren't they ? ya getting some good groups. the pigs in your reigon are definately stuffed :lol: was out at my local range sighting in my '94. just fitted williams rear peep. might have to look into a lyman front sight for mine. peeps are definately a improvement aren't they. cheers in2anity :thumbsup:

yeah mate they sure are - i just wish i had given pistol-cartridges a chance earlier. I'm currently in love with my carbide set! i'm really hoping this rifle gives me the accuracy i'm chasing; i spent some coin on it that's for sure! :shock:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 Mar 2018, 9:41 pm

Very nice work. On a good day I can get around the 1 inch mark with my Rossi 44 mag. Good enough that I kinda wish it could be fitted withna scope
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 19 Mar 2018, 12:25 am

Fabulous looking rifle.I have shot a .357 Mag lever gun and was impressed with its hitting power.I am assuming the 44 is more.I thought solids out of a shotgun had some go but rifles are far more accurate.Great work and thanks for sharing
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 19 Mar 2018, 7:11 am

bigpete wrote:Very nice work. On a good day I can get around the 1 inch mark with my Rossi 44 mag. Good enough that I kinda wish it could be fitted withna scope

That's really great accuracy BP - I'd be 100% happy with this rifle if I found a load that grouped like that. I've read the Rossis are generally quite accurate in CAS circles. And Rossi is the other manufacturer who make a 24" barrel - it's a shame Marlin and Henry usually stop at 20", otherwise I would of picked up one of those instead.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 19 Mar 2018, 7:15 am

duncan61 wrote:Fabulous looking rifle.I have shot a .357 Mag lever gun and was impressed with its hitting power.I am assuming the 44 is more.I thought solids out of a shotgun had some go but rifles are far more accurate.Great work and thanks for sharing

Thanks mate yes it really is an exquisite piece of hardware - I have to keep reminding myself that I bought it for a function! The recoil feels kinda similar to the 30/30 - not bad at all (coming from 308 target shooting).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 19 Mar 2018, 12:12 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigpete wrote:Very nice work. On a good day I can get around the 1 inch mark with my Rossi 44 mag. Good enough that I kinda wish it could be fitted withna scope

That's really great accuracy BP - I'd be 100% happy with this rifle if I found a load that grouped like that. I've read the Rossis are generally quite accurate in CAS circles. And Rossi is the other manufacturer who make a 24" barrel - it's a shame Marlin and Henry usually stop at 20", otherwise I would of picked up one of those instead.

That's at 50m mate,just to clarify.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 19 Mar 2018, 12:56 pm

bigpete wrote:That's at 50m mate,just to clarify.

Right - figured as much. Consistent 2" at 100m is my end goal, I'd be ecstatic with this - I eventually achieved it with my 30/30 (shooting lead that is), but because of the comparatively light projectile moving at (comparatively) slow speeds, accuracy just falls apart past around 165m. My theory is the heavier 240gn pill should excel at those distances (and beyond). Lots of fun to be had :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles