do i buy a rifle now?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

do i buy a rifle now?

Post by newgunner » 19 Mar 2018, 8:09 pm

hi shooters,
just wondering ,i am looking at getting into rifle shooting again with my wife this time as well,but is it worth buying a rifle now,given the state of belmont and ripley ranges? And lack of anywhere else to shoot targets only?
Or do we just stick to handguns like we have at present?

Any thoughts?
Sorry if this upsets anyone,just want to make sure we dont waste $1000's on rifles,we cant really shoot anywhere.

thanks
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: do i buy a rifle now?

Post by sungazer » 19 Mar 2018, 8:13 pm

I dont know QLD but you could look at QLDRA ranges shooting F class.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 19 Mar 2018, 8:15 pm

I say pick a rifle to suit your local facilities - no point in getting some fancy arse tactical 6.5cr Chris Kyle kinda setup if you got no where to push it the way it was designed. Prolly a nice 22lr and get into the spirit of local smallbore club shooting - that’s what sport is all about, the people you share your experiences with.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by newgunner » 19 Mar 2018, 8:22 pm

i have a shotgun and 7 pistols between us at present.
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by newgunner » 19 Mar 2018, 8:24 pm

there are hardly anywhere we can shoot 100m or 200m ,smallbore clubs here are 300m minimum,hard distance to start at.
f class is too expensive to get into also.
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 19 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

That sounds unfair. You need 1 more handgun, 7 more shotguns and 8 rifles.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by newgunner » 19 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

So would a tikka t3 223 stainless super varmint 26 inch barrel , 4-16-44 vortex scope and grs stock be a good start ?
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 19 Mar 2018, 8:56 pm

juststarting wrote:That sounds unfair. You need 1 more handgun, 7 more shotguns and 8 rifles.

...and five of those rifles should be black powder ones!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Mar 2018, 8:59 pm

newgunner wrote:So would a tikka t3 223 stainless super varmint 26 inch barrel , 4-16-44 vortex scope and grs stock be a good start ?

Just curious, why do you think you need a 26” barrel? How about grab a nice old omark 308 and focus more on handloading?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by newgunner » 19 Mar 2018, 9:06 pm

I dont need a 26 inch barrel but the gun is too good to pass up at what im paying for it,and what it comes with
bad shoulder for a 308 ,can't reload either
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 19 Mar 2018, 9:08 pm

Noisydad wrote:
juststarting wrote:That sounds unfair. You need 1 more handgun, 7 more shotguns and 8 rifles.

...and five of those rifles should be black powder ones!

No, 8 propellent-based + 8 BP, which means he'd also need 8 more BP handguns.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Mar 2018, 9:10 pm

newgunner wrote:So would a tikka t3 223 stainless super varmint 26 inch barrel , 4-16-44 vortex scope and grs stock be a good start ?

Sounds like a club level f-class rig to me. Just get it in a cartridge that can strtch its legs more. Like a 6.5cm or 7mm-o8.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cryptic » 19 Mar 2018, 9:40 pm

There is the QRA ranges with QMRC if want another option other than the SSAA. Not sure what other clubs use those shared ranges but there are a few there.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2018, 9:43 pm

Maybe look for clubs south of the bordet if ya around brissie or even the nsw state forests . Not sure how it works "target" shooting in the forests but some of the nswelshmen should be able to point ya in the right direction!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 20 Mar 2018, 6:40 am

Daddybang wrote:Maybe look for clubs south of the bordet if ya around brissie or even the nsw state forests . Not sure how it works "target" shooting in the forests but some of the nswelshmen should be able to point ya in the right direction!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

The way it works is, a state forest employee / timber contractor etc hears/sees you, can tell you're not hunting because of the number of shots, reports you, and if the cops actually get around to following up, they take your licence away. You aren't even allowed to sight-in in a state forest, let alone target shoot. Not even bows.

Realistically chances of getting caught are very small given how few people are out and about there, but no question, it's 100% illegal.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2018, 6:50 am

Archie wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Maybe look for clubs south of the bordet if ya around brissie or even the nsw state forests . Not sure how it works "target" shooting in the forests but some of the nswelshmen should be able to point ya in the right direction!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

The way it works is, a state forest employee / timber contractor etc hears/sees you, can tell you're not hunting because of the number of shots, reports you, and if the cops actually get around to following up, they take your licence away. You aren't even allowed to sight-in in a state forest, let alone target shoot. Not even bows.

Realistically chances of getting caught are very small given how few people are out and about there, but no question, it's 100% illegal.

Not even allowed to sight in !! Thats pretty rough. :thumbsdown:
Should add that it's still better than qld where we can't hunt at all!!(in SF) :drinks:
Last edited by Daddybang on 20 Mar 2018, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 20 Mar 2018, 7:23 am

Daddybang wrote:
Archie wrote:

Not even allowed to sight in !! Thats pretty rough. :thumbsdown:
Should add that it's still better than qld where we can't hunt at all!!(in SF) :drinks:

Yeah in all honesty the opportunities in NSW are pretty good once you sort out the relevant paperwork. Not as good as Vic of course, but they really aren't too bad. Could be a lot worse.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Mar 2018, 8:05 am

newgunner wrote:I dont need a 26 inch barrel but the gun is too good to pass up at what im paying for it,and what it comes with
bad shoulder for a 308 ,can't reload either

Fair enough. If you see yourself shooting f-class down the track, then yes this would be an appropriate setup but I'd avoid a 1:12 twist. Why can't you reload? https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by newgunner » 20 Mar 2018, 9:08 am

Can tell your a victorian ,all arrogant like. I asked a genuine question ,no need to be a tosser about it.
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 20 Mar 2018, 9:13 am

You didn't ask a question, because you already knew the answer. You asked to be validated LOL
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

I think this is happening.

Bait1.jpg
Bait1.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 5187 times

Ignore JS. He is a known stirrer. Gets a bit excited when the word "buy" gets a mention. Won't sell his cheapo 45-70 either. Bugger. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 20 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2018, 3:10 pm

:lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 3:49 pm

newgunner wrote:Can tell your a victorian ,all arrogant like. I asked a genuine question ,no need to be a tosser about it.

it's a loose online forum mate. lot's of personalitys and opinions. don't take it to heart if someone is kidding around taking the piss. i haven't used/been into shotguns before. you shoulda read some of the replies i got to "should i buy a shotgun ?" :lol: :lol: :lol: and don't ever ask "should i buy another gun ?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 3:53 pm

if you do take up knitting NG, i need a beanie and mittens ! :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup: :lol: :friends:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 20 Mar 2018, 3:59 pm

In a seriousness though, he's probably just tired and overworked from all that banna bending.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 4:03 pm

i don't think you have a serious bone in your body JS ( bloody victorian ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 20 Mar 2018, 4:05 pm

Very few :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 4:06 pm

bloody bananas don't bend themselves JS
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Archie » 20 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

I tend to find "look at my new rifle" gets a much better response than "should I buy a new rifle"... Even saying should I buy X or Y is much better than should I buy anything at all
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles