Weatherby Vanguard S2 or Tikka TX3 Lite?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 or Tikka TX3 Lite?

Post by juzzbott » 25 Mar 2018, 8:43 pm

Hey everyone, currently looking at getting a .223.

My current thinking is either the Tikka T3X Lite or the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Both seem to be around the same price point. Has anyone had any experience with either of these two rifles? Any significant pros or cons? I'm open to other suggestions as well, but that's about the budget I'll be working with, as I need a scope as well...

Cheers.
juzzbott
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Weatherby Vanguard S2 or Tikka TX3 Lite?

Post by Gun-nut » 25 Mar 2018, 8:50 pm

I don't know much about he Weatherby Vanguard, so I can't really help you there. But as it is in any case, you won't be able to get any solid suggestions unless you tell us what it is you plan to use this rifle for. Hunting? target shooting? What caliber are you purchasing this rifle in? These are the sorts of things we need to know, which will also help with your choice of scope.

Good luck.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juzzbott » 25 Mar 2018, 8:57 pm

Sorry mate, forgot to mention the purpose. I want to start getting into some hunting bunnies and foxes and other smaller animals, with a slightly longer distance than my .22LR will allow.

I'm looking at .223 at this stage, as I don't really want to obliterate the smaller game, but with more punch than my .22.

Cheers,
Justin
juzzbott
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Mar 2018, 9:03 pm

Can't comment on the rifles but I have a 3-9*40 on my 223. But as your looking at rabbits perhaps a 4-12 *40 would be better.

I use mine for foxes. Daytime only
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Mar 2018, 9:54 pm

I cant comment on the Weatherby's...i have a couple of tikkas though...pretty smooth action...cant top feed mag but can single feed/drop one in from ejection port.
As i cant compare the two, i cant really give much ,more..

I know you didnt ask, but to mention scope as OB did, Id suggest getting a more powerful scope than he suggested...at very least 16x, like 4-16...or 6-18 is better...even up to 6-24 or something...they make for easier long shots on bunnies especially if chasing head shots.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

I cant comment on the Weatherby, but I do have a Tikka t3x lite stainless in .243. I am very happy with it. It is accurate, smooth, easy to carry and feeds well. I would imagine the 223 would be the same. I doubt you would be disappointed with a Tikka. I have a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 x 40 on my tikka. I am very satisfied with it as well.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by albat » 26 Mar 2018, 7:18 am

Got both rifles in other calibres though, the tikka is the go if you want to walk around with it ,the vanguard is heavy the tikka is laser beam accurate with pretty much anything you feed it
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 26 Mar 2018, 7:53 am

I have a Weathetby in 223 and a Tikka lite in 7mm 08. The Tikka lite is much better to carry around and in 223 it is available in 1-8 twist and 1-12. I'd go the the 1-8!

I also have a Howa mini action in 223. It gets used more the than the Weatherby in 223. So it would be worth looking at Howa also (Weatherby is a Howa anyway).

Can't really go wrong but if your were looking at just the Weatherby and Tikka. I'd go Tikka. The Tikka has an excellent trigger out of the box and I'd want the 1-8. The current Weatherby/Howa are 1/9.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Howaguy » 26 Mar 2018, 12:24 pm

+1 for the Howa
I have one in .223 with a Boyd stock and heavy barrel and it will shoot under MOA with most factory ammo even some of the cheap stuff. I’m running a Vortex copperhead in 4-12 power optic. It’s also had a bedding and trigger job and all up has cost around the $1250 mark. So if you want bang for your buck (pardon the pun) go for a Howa, I am very happy with mine and wouldn’t hesitate buying another in a different caliber.
Howaguy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wes » 29 Mar 2018, 12:31 pm

Pretty safe bet any Tikka will be a shooter right out of the box.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2018, 1:09 pm

Wes wrote:Pretty safe bet any Tikka will be a shooter right out of the box.

I'd better tell mine it's a failure (it's been ordinary out of the box so far) but hoping that will change with some hand loads. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Mar 2018, 2:29 pm

Heah, Bigfellascott, I found that handloads improved things with the Tikka 243w. but I was only using PPU ammo
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2018, 5:12 pm

+1 tikka. working man's sako
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2018, 5:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Heah, Bigfellascott, I found that handloads improved things with the Tikka 243w. but I was only using PPU ammo

Yeah I'm sure hand loads will see improvements in the way it shoots out of the box - I was using fed 130gn speers personally I think the stock needs a little work to sort it out but I have a lam stock to put it in or a plastikka if I get desperate she's only for hunting so not world ending if it does shoot clovers but 2” groups are far from the moa gtee
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Mar 2018, 5:47 pm

Hell yeah, I was getting better groups than that, straight out of the box and PPU ammo.

This is 5 rounds at 100 yds with reloads from "Gold Coast Reloads". And at Belmont, the usual L to R breeze...

groupshoot..jpg
Reloads 5 shot. 243win Tikka. Lite
groupshoot..jpg (1004.32 KiB) Viewed 7236 times

You can tell the Tikka is a working mans firearm - Can only afford 2c as a marker.... :lol:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2018, 5:55 pm

2 cent peice ? how long ago did you shoot this RJ ? :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by MJW380 » 29 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm

Had a tikka lite in .223 with a VX-1 3-9x40, was accurate with factory (SP hornady) and one ragged hole accurate with handloads. Geez I regret moving that rifle along
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Mar 2018, 12:46 pm

Hi Bigrich,group shot on 21/10/2014 - gee times flies. Actually, I use the coin as a screwdriver..... :)
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 1:14 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Hell yeah, I was getting better groups than that, straight out of the box and PPU ammo.

This is 5 rounds at 100 yds with reloads from "Gold Coast Reloads". And at Belmont, the usual L to R breeze...

groupshoot..jpg

You can tell the Tikka is a working mans firearm - Can only afford 2c as a marker.... :lol:

Yeah I'm sure once I get reloading it will be a shooter (well shoot good enough to hunt reliably with anyway) only really use it for pigs and deer so just need it to be consistent with the first shot and to be fair I don't think I've tried anything else in it other than the 130's so it might want something heavier? either way I'm sure I will get it sorted without too much fuss.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 1:25 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Hell yeah, I was getting better groups than that, straight out of the box and PPU ammo.

groupshoot..jpg

I'm a Howa Owner so can afford a 5c piece :lol: (the larger holes have 3 shots in it and 1 single hole) 4 shot groups - 2 different brands of factory ammo.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2018, 1:47 pm

My vote and choice was a Tikka, barrels are great, better trigger that you can easily adjust yourself. I have a Nightfoce 42x on mine but your eyes are probably a bit younger than mine.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Mar 2018, 3:34 pm

SCJ429 wrote:My vote and choice was a Tikka, barrels are great, better trigger that you can easily adjust yourself. I have a Nightfoce 42x on mine but your eyes are probably a bit younger than mine.

42X! Far out, you'd be able to spot the nits on the fleas at 500yds.! 8-)
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2018, 5:25 pm

I can see my 223 bullet holes at 500 and you can wind the magnification back to 12x for a wider field of view. They do make a 32x if you prefer. I have seen a few Howa or Weatherby Vanguards that shoot OK but I have been impressed by every Tikka Varmint rifle I have got my hands on. Most accurate factory rifle you can get for under 2 grand. The only modification I have made is a Yo Dave trigger Spring which I fitted myself.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2018, 7:34 pm

If your going to shoot bunnies for tucker you'll have to shoot them in the head or else to much damage too usable meat will result.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Centerfire rifles