Savage 340E rifles.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage 340E rifles.

Post by Stix » 26 Mar 2018, 9:53 pm

Im interested to hear if anyone has experience or opinions on Savage model 340E rifles...?
Good, bad, or otherwise...??...
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Savage 340E rifles.

Post by Wombat » 26 Mar 2018, 10:10 pm

I have one in .223, its accurate enough, but a touch agricultural. The whole thing is made as cheaply as practicable, but well if that makes sense.They only use a single bolt lug and have a reputation for a bad trigger pull. Mine feels ok but I suspect it has been worked on.
One PITA is that a scope mount will cover the serial numbers so you have to sight in after a safe inspection.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 26 Mar 2018, 10:20 pm

As for an opinion, well I had to talk myself out of buying a 22 Hornet one that's up for sale at the moment.......
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

Wombat wrote:As for an opinion, well I had to talk myself out of buying a 22 Hornet one that's up for sale at the moment.......

Im after a hornet, & saw this one (probably the same oe we all saw) come up live today...ive so far talked myself out of it, but wondering about it.

I hear they are a cheap manufactured rifle but this one is cheap (well--still a few bob after freight & transfer).

Only one bolt lug...really...?!!?

So should i get it...?...i dont really need it to tell the truth...but you know...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 Mar 2018, 10:41 pm

Well Bentaz.......Anything you think i should know........Thinking of buying one in a small calibre...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 Mar 2018, 10:44 pm

What is yours chambered in ben...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 27 Mar 2018, 6:06 am

I'd say buy it if you want a Hornet. They were made for decades and the E's are towards the end of their run.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2018, 10:59 am

"I hear they are a cheap manufactured rifle but this one is cheap"
So what. I see the barrel is attached the same as my Marlin. Not cheap mate smart design. That method of attachment has got to be heaps cheaper than the traditional method, less machining. That's one of the reasons some rifles are so much cheaper these days. Smart design and modern production methods.

There are truck loads of older rifles with just 1 lug, they work. What more would you need for a hornet, basically low pressure round. Probably stronger than most lever actions.

If its in good nick and the right price I would buy it. "I hear they are a cheap manufactured rifle but this one is cheap" Well for me a rifle is a tool, it has to just do its job well. You could pay $1500 or so and it will look new and pretty but will it shoot much better. ( but U do get a warranty) And you don't need 1/2 inch groups for most hunting. After all you don't carry a shooting bench with you.

Lets face it how well do you shoot shooting off your knees or laying down in the field?

If the wood needs a clean up it might be a nice project.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 27 Mar 2018, 5:45 pm

I bought my 223 in 81/82 as my first new rifle as a 15 year old. I went straight to lee loader had loads and got an honest inch out of it. It still shoots that well. I have never developed it anymore but am happy with an inch. The factory side mount is a bit limiting with finding a scope that will fit its turrets between the rings which are quite close together. If you place turrets before or after the rings your head placement will be a bit dodgy. There are other side mounts from weaver available but probably have the same issues.
Overall a very solid reliable little gun that I will keep forever.
Last edited by deanp100 on 27 Mar 2018, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 27 Mar 2018, 6:15 pm

There's a Tasco mount for them too. I know where there's a NOS one.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

Can't find it no so looks like its been sold.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 27 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

:drinks: There's always another sooner or later. That one was cheap though.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

Righto, own up who bought it?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 27 Mar 2018, 7:19 pm

Not me, cant justify a Hornet with both a 17HMR and a 223.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 27 Mar 2018, 7:47 pm

yep sold. not me either. Would you like a Sportco hornet to make yourself feel better
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Mar 2018, 8:09 pm

not me either. I looked at it too but read a report that Savage 340 was grouping 3-5" at 50 yds. so fiddled around and missed out.

hey deanp100, whats the go with the Sportco?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2018, 8:42 pm

I never normally look at the used gun sites as I have enough rifles. (please don't hit me. Lol)

But some of the prices they want seem ridiculous. If your patient you can pick up new B.A. centrefire rifles for as little $500. Not flashy but good serviceable rifles. Yet some sellers want the world for some rifles years old and often they are nothing special.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 27 Mar 2018, 8:57 pm

RoginaJack wrote:not me either. I looked at it too but read a report that Savage 340 was grouping 3-5" at 50 yds. so fiddled around and missed out.

hey deanp100, whats the go with the Sportco?

I have a few guns now that all overlap and some have to go. I went through a stage where I had to try and own every model of sportco. I got over it and now have a few to move. A sportco hornet and sportco 222 come# to mind.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Mar 2018, 2:26 pm

:welcome: The hornet and 222 sounds interesting. I've been looking for one for awhile now but as stated before "usedguns" prices are by far, over the top...still if you don't ask etc... :o
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles