what rifles?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

what rifles?

Post by Jon79 » 31 Mar 2018, 3:18 pm

Ok no doubt this will open a can of worms lol...... I'm getting back in to shooting after a fair time away from it, I used to shoot everything from foxes goats and pigs with only a 222 with no probs but now I'm looking at getting a 243 as an all rounder that's pretty much settled

Now I'm tossing up weather to go the 223 for foxes and the occasional goat or pig (Ammo's cheap) for my local area type shooting or go something like the 270 or 308 as I'll be doing a bit of shooting out around Bourke/Barringun where its pretty open and I might need that little extra distance/grunt

And before some suggests it I cant get all 3 lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: what rifles?

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2018, 4:03 pm

223 & 308. That's only two. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Mar 2018, 4:40 pm

Have you looked at 7mm-08?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Mar 2018, 4:41 pm

If you reload I would consider a 260 but if not the 223 is a great volume shooter and useful on small game. Nothing wrong with a 308 but the 223 is better and cheaper to practice with. All you need to decide is which model Tikka you want.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by albat » 31 Mar 2018, 5:21 pm

Tikka 308 takes care of any scenario in Aus and where you are if you run out of bullets you can buy it cheapish if you dont reload
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2018, 5:55 pm

albat wrote:Tikka 308 takes care of any scenario in Aus and where you are if you run out of bullets you can buy it cheapish if you dont reload

This is an important point. I would not go for any common round for that reason. And the more common the calibre the cheaper the bullets. (the most costly part of you reload) 223, 308, 270, 243,are all common for good reason, cost is reasonable and efficient.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles