.204 owners - Want to hear your experience & recommendations

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Want to hear from .204 owners about their experiences an

Post by brinny » 03 Apr 2018, 11:24 pm

Took these three foxes tonight with the Sako 204 and thermal using 40 grn V-Maxes....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Apr 2018, 1:01 am

Thanks for the replies people.Bigfellascot, your post certainly shows the emphatic nature of a hit on foxes and bunnies. I am certain a .204 is in my future. Have any of you had experience with it on roos? I do a bit of roo shooting for a few cockies and am interested in the 204’s effectiveness. I am assuming a roo headshot with a 204 would drop like a stone.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2018, 1:01 am

This is NOT the fox show-off thread brinny...!!!
:sarcasm: :lol:
Only jokin mate...i love it...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 04 Apr 2018, 9:48 am

Bruiser64 wrote:Thanks for the replies people.Bigfellascot, your post certainly shows the emphatic nature of a hit on foxes and bunnies. I am certain a .204 is in my future. Have any of you had experience with it on roos? I do a bit of roo shooting for a few cockies and am interested in the 204’s effectiveness. I am assuming a roo headshot with a 204 would drop like a stone.

I cull heaps with mine mate.....I wouldnt like to get hit in the nut by one i can tell you....it would be all over red rover....not sure where you are, but here in Vic we have regulations in regards to culling roos....if you are here in Vic and your shooting roos you must head shoot, and projectile weight for the 204 is 40 grns minimum.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2018, 2:17 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The 40 grain Vmax is pretty handy, you should try some in your 204. From Hornady the BC is .275 @500 the drop is 32 and wind drift is 25 inches. Hard to beat.

Drop is 32" from what zero?
I have a few hundred 40gn VMax's, plus 39gn TNT and SBK's. Just haven't seen much point in playing with them extensively as yet. I'll endeavour to do some more testing with all three though when I get a chance.

I ran it through a calculator just now and it shows 32.5" drop at 500m from a 250m zero. Wind is 30.4" for 10mph. Impressive, although the Blitzking is slightly higher BC. Have you tried the SBK or TNT?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

brinny wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:Thanks for the replies people.Bigfellascot, your post certainly shows the emphatic nature of a hit on foxes and bunnies. I am certain a .204 is in my future. Have any of you had experience with it on roos? I do a bit of roo shooting for a few cockies and am interested in the 204’s effectiveness. I am assuming a roo headshot with a 204 would drop like a stone.

I cull heaps with mine mate.....I wouldnt like to get hit in the nut by one i can tell you....it would be all over red rover....not sure where you are, but here in Vic we have regulations in regards to culling roos....if you are here in Vic and your shooting roos you must head shoot, and projectile weight for the 204 is 40 grns minimum.....

Thanks for that information. Here in WA the rules in relation to minimum calibre, projectile weight and using headshots are the same as in Victoria. So a .204 is legal to use here. There is a declared open season on western greys, western reds and in some places wallaroos in a number of shires in WA on freehold or leasehold agricultural land. So if they are causing damage the farmer, farm manager or their agent can cull roos for non-commercial purposes to manage the numbers. You can only take roos from the property if you are a licensed pro roo shooter with tags though.

Although legal to cull, the Environment Dept can direct farmers not to do so if the roo numbers fall too low. For all our challenges in WA we at least dont force cockies to do “tag only” culling, which seems to be a real problem for cockies in NSW and Qld when the roo numbers explode.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm

Well im back from a fox jaunt over easter (had my favourite--the 22-250-& a 204 as the tools of trade) so i cannot resist dropping in a few bob in here...

Being a long time lover of the 22-250, i never saw the need to have a 204--after all what would i want a baby version of a 22-250 for that will get pushed around by the wind more...?

Well time went on, & it so happened that i came into possession of one (its technically not mine, but its in my possession so get use of it when ever i want).

Id like to say that im a convert...if you are a fox shooter/enjoy the art of the fox hunt followed up with a single accurate shot, & you like busting bunnies, you will love the 204.
It is now my staple go to--where the 22lr used to sit on the passenger seat & the 22-250 on the back seat ready to go, now the 204 gets pride of place on the passenger seat with the 22 on the back seat.

It is emphatic on foxes, one shot to the chest & they fall over right there with no argument.
It will make an awful mess of a roos head, & i understand is minimum legal on them (here in SA anyway--although i dont think DEWNR have changed their paperwork to show this as yet).
As for bunnies...well it is so much fun that if you get on a patch of a lot of bunnies you just about want 2 204's to save the barrels..!!!!

My 222 is about to serve me divorce papers, she hasnt seen action in 18 months.

This weekend gone, i got a quick load with my new 22-250 & took her out for a kill--completely obliterated a fox at 180 yds, & as im going through the beginnings of a pelt fetish, i put it away & little 204 sat high on her pedestal & finished the night off.

And i should add that shooting feral pigeons with the 204 on the farm at any distance is one of the most spectacular things you will ever see through a scope...!!!

As for versatility, i think versatility is defined by the direct user & what they want out of a rifle.
Personally from a hunters/varminters point of view, i think the 204 is an incredibly versatile round...not only can you get 270 yard head shots on bunnies...(this is the entry side of the bunny)
2018-04-04 09.29.24.jpg
270 yds, no wind, dusk
2018-04-04 09.29.24.jpg (363.83 KiB) Viewed 7559 times

It does this at 120 yds...
2017-12-18 00.39.48.jpg
120ish yards
2017-12-18 00.39.48.jpg (498.1 KiB) Viewed 7559 times

And leaves foxe & cat skins completely intact if chest shot...
2018-02-23 00.28.31.jpg
2018-02-23 00.28.31.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 7559 times

But wait...there's more...you can also load her up with trailboss & get the equivalent of another great cartridge in the hornet...quiet, easier to shoot, & still a very effective killer on anything in the 100ish yard range...now to me that is versatile, & i still havnt tried 40 grainers in it yet...!!!

There is this point...
[quote="southwest shooter"]Buy one and experience the feeling of owning and shooting the 204 ruger.[/quote

Go & buy one...!!!
(the one i use is a Tikka T3).
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

Great haul there, a young fox, a good looking moggie and a rabbit, well done.
I looked at the Hornady Superformance ammo box and it has a zero at 200 and has 28 inch drop at 500. The speed at the muzzle is 3900, a bit faster than my reloads. I have had very good results with Speer TNT in other calibers but have not tried them in the 204. How have you found the TNTs, what powder is working for you?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm

Well blokes, I am convinced! Clearly a .204 is an excellent addition to a gun cabinet. I am very impressed with all the shooting results shown hear. A bloke I know is selling his .204. If it checks out ok, it will find a new home with me. I think it should fill the gap nicely between my 22 magnum and .243. I will be reloading for it. It is good to know it can be loaded to hornet specs as well. That will be useful on smaller properties. I also think the quieter report over the 243 will have benefits in some situations as well. When it all comes down to it, I just want one.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2018, 11:16 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:Well blokes, I am convinced! Clearly a .204 is an excellent addition to a gun cabinet. I am very impressed with all the shooting results shown hear. A bloke I know is selling his .204. If it checks out ok, it will find a new home with me. I think it should fill the gap nicely between my 22 magnum and .243. I will be reloading for it. It is good to know it can be loaded to hornet specs as well. That will be useful on smaller properties. I also think the quieter report over the 243 will have benefits in some situations as well. When it all comes down to it, I just want one.

Mate dont be fooled by a smaller round being quiet--make no mistake the 204 is a loud cartridge...!!!

It is however quiet with the trailboss loads...a bit louder than high velocity 22lr with the trailboss. :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2018, 11:29 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Great haul there, a young fox, a good looking moggie and a rabbit, well done.
I looked at the Hornady Superformance ammo box and it has a zero at 200 and has 28 inch drop at 500. The speed at the muzzle is 3900, a bit faster than my reloads. I have had very good results with Speer TNT in other calibers but have not tried them in the 204. How have you found the TNTs, what powder is working for you?

Mate ive only tried the one proj so far--32gr Zmax.
I load it with 28gr 2208 & it falls out the end at around 3600 fps...so not fast for a 204.

I have another load for it with BM2 thats fasterbut i have 4kg's of 2208 & the chrono tells me an ES of 14 & an SD of 6.4, & it shoots half inch with flyers if i squeeze off properly... so although its apparently not the ideal powder or the most expensive proj moving at a great speed, thats it for now...
I get good enough results with it to not be bothered changing things yet. :D

Whats youre load for 204...?
& what other cartridges have you tried the speer tnt's in so far...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

Stix wrote:But wait...there's more...you can also load her up with trailboss & get the equivalent of another great cartridge in the hornet...quiet, easier to shoot, & still a very effective killer on anything in the 100ish yard range...now to me that is versatile, & i still havnt tried 40 grainers in it yet...!!!

I can vouch for that, I shoot a 2400fps load a lot more than the full-house ones.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2018, 2:31 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I think it should fill the gap nicely between my 22 magnum and .243. I will be reloading for it. It is good to know it can be loaded to hornet specs as well. That will be useful on smaller properties. I also think the quieter report over the 243 will have benefits in some situations as well. When it all comes down to it, I just want one.

I wouldn't expect full-house .204 loads to be quieter than the .243.
But the 32gn 2400fps loads I shoot lots, without hearing protection and no discomfort.
But you can also load the .243 down to similar levels - my brother loves a 58gn VMax on 12gn of Trailboss at 2050fps.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Apr 2018, 2:40 pm

Hey Stix that's some nice accessorizing there!!!!
Every shooter should have matchin pants and rifle!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice shootin but!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 3:36 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey Stix that's some nice accessorizing there!!!!

Lmfao...!!!
Nice payout ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Daddybang...!

I think its important to make the effort to blend in...especially when spotlighting from within the car...you know just in case a fox jumps in the car with me...if i got camo on it'll just think im just a bush...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truth is i never liked camo stock rifles untill i got one...& i always thought guys who wear camo clothing were just wanks...& now here i am submerged in both...!! :?

It all came to be cos i got the rifle--brand new tikka t3 camo stainless for $995 on the road...! (thats shipped from interstate, transferred & registered), & the pants cost me a massive $10... :thumbsup:
So now ive learnt to love em...!

So whilst people might think im a hunt clothing snob, the reality is im nothing more than a cheap stooge...!!! :lol: :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:But wait...there's more...you can also load her up with trailboss & get the equivalent of another great cartridge in the hornet...quiet, easier to shoot, & still a very effective killer on anything in the 100ish yard range...now to me that is versatile, & i still havnt tried 40 grainers in it yet...!!!

I can vouch for that, I shoot a 2400fps load a lot more than the full-house ones.

Mine with the same load as you is about the 2350-60ish mark..
I havnt had a kill with that load yet...one day...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2018, 3:42 pm

Stix wrote:Mate ive only tried the one proj so far--32gr Zmax.
I load it with 28gr 2208 & it falls out the end at around 3600 fps...so not fast for a 204.

I have another load for it with BM2 thats fasterbut i have 4kg's of 2208 & the chrono tells me an ES of 14 & an SD of 6.4, & it shoots half inch with flyers if i squeeze off properly... so although its apparently not the ideal powder or the most expensive proj moving at a great speed, thats it for now...
I get good enough results with it to not be bothered changing things yet. :D

Whats youre load for 204...?
& what other cartridges have you tried the speer tnt's in so far...?

I've tried the 24gn NTX, 32gn ZMax, 32gn VMax, 39gn TNT, 39gn SBK and 40gn VMax bullets so far. I also have some 45gn SP and 55gn Bergers that I don't expect to work at all, so I have still not managed to test those. Unfortunately, I can't access the first 460rds I put through the .204 in my shot log as I had to replace the motherboard in my computer, and Windows decided I was a hacker and locked me out. But I settled on the Hornady 24gn on 30gn of AR2206H at 4400fps and 32gn ZMax/VMax on 8.5gn of TB at 2400fps. 29.2gn of AR2206H drives the 32gn at 4000fps.

I mainly use AR2206H, but saw very good results with Benchmark 8208 as well. As well as Trailboss for lighter loads of course.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2018, 3:52 pm

Stix wrote:Truth is i never liked camo stock rifles untill i got one...& i always thought guys who wear camo clothing were just wanks...& now here i am submerged in both...!! :?

So whilst people might think im a hunt clothing snob, the reality is im nothing more than a cheap stooge...!!! :lol: :lol:

My DFO actually used my camo wearing in his "I have to be frank, I have some concerns..." speech about my "alarmingly" rapid acquisition of so many firearms:-)

I don't think I ever wore any military clothing until Army Cadets, but I've been hooked since. I haven't had much longevity from non-military clothing, even denim tends to fall apart in my hands. Crawling around in roof frames tends to be very hard on knees and crotches of trousers, elbows, shoulders and across the back of shirts, and wears out the soles and ankles of shoes and boots.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2018, 3:55 pm

Stix wrote:Mine with the same load as you is about the 2350-60ish mark..
I havnt had a kill with that load yet...one day...!

I've only taken foxes with it but it's still very explosive. The bullet is designed to explode above 1600fps so it's easily suitable out to 100m.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Apr 2018, 4:02 pm

Stix wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Hey Stix that's some nice accessorizing there!!!!

Lmfao...!!!
Nice payout ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Daddybang...!

I think its important to make the effort to blend in...especially when spotlighting from within the car...you know just in case a fox jumps in the car with me...if i got camo on it'll just think im just a bush...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truth is i never liked camo stock rifles untill i got one...& i always thought guys who wear camo clothing were just wanks...& now here i am submerged in both...!! :?

It all came to be cos i got the rifle--brand new tikka t3 camo stainless for $995 on the road...! (thats shipped from interstate, transferred & registered), & the pants cost me a massive $10... :thumbsup:
So now ive learnt to love em...!

It's all about being comfortable mate!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

I also use some 26gn varmint grenades (haven't done any load testing on them but have smashed a few bunnies out around the 270-280 mark with em so figure they shoot straight enough.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 7:57 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I also use some 26gn varmint grenades (haven't done any load testing on them but have smashed a few bunnies out around the 270-280 mark with em so figure they shoot straight enough.

Huh...? Ya wot...?!!?
You figure they shoot just cos you smashed bunnies at 270 yds...Nah mate...!!

I seen your pics earlier in the post...& if thats with no load testing...all i can say is that will be enough of that insubordinate carry-on young man...that behavior just wont be tolerated in these parts...!!!

Think its time for you to move on...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:sarcasm:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: love it...!!! :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Apr 2018, 8:12 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I also use some 26gn varmint grenades (haven't done any load testing on them but have smashed a few bunnies out around the 270-280 mark with em so figure they shoot straight enough.

Huh...? Ya wot...?!!?
You figure they shoot just cos you smashed bunnies at 270 yds...Nah mate...!!

I seen your pics earlier in the post...& if thats with no load testing...all i can say is that will be enough of that insubordinate carry-on young man...that behavior just wont be tolerated in these parts...!!!

Think its time for you to move on...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:sarcasm:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: love it...!!! :thumbsup:

I ment to get around to testing em on paper but ran out of time so figured whilst I'm out there I would give a few a run on some bunnies at around 200m and it smacked em so figured I'd give em a run on some further out and they got belted too so figured no need to waste time poking paper. Those groups I posted somewhere here were from factory Fed and Rem ammo :D If it wasn't so expensive I'd just use it but it's cheaper to reload so I went that way. They certainly shoot well hey, bunny heads exploding at 250m after working out how it was shooting - that's the thing I love about the 204 they generally aren't too fussy to get shooting, they love heaps of jump, some good solid primers (Rem 7.5 are fine as are some of the other benchrest primers) some are too thin and pierce under pressure so if you are reloading for the 204 make sure you use thicker cup primers. I've got about 900 39gn bk and around 400 32 Vmax and a few 100 40gn Vmax and some 40gn bergers from memory and a few 100 of the Varmint Grenades so got plenty of different options to play with when I'm ready.

All I know is the 32gn projes are very explosive on heads. :drinks:

Best shot on bunnies to day is a 305m headshot and a fox at 340m under the light - both bang flops (it's like they get hit by lightning, they just drop on the spot as a rule, even shot one just above the tail around 290m one night standing and shooting off the pasenger side door, instant bang flop, didn't even know what hit it (she was about to disapear down a washout so had no better shot to make it was a quick, line up and send one on it's way. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

This was all I found of one that got nailed around 170m from memory.

This poor little fella got skinned

Paddock pizza aplenty when this thing gets cranking.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

I use 8208, using the 40 Vmax, a little over the book max. I am getting some primer cratering but the cases extract fine. I started with 2208 but couldn't get enough in the case to get a node at decent speed. The 8208 has grouped under four inches at 500 metres.

I used Speer TNTs in a 223 a 6mm BR and a 7mm BR. The 7mm BR is a Ruger #1 and shoots 0.4 using TNT. In my experience if your rifle will not shoot well with a TNT then it is not going to shoot. It is very forgiving like a SMK. Great for a cheap hunting projectile and they come in bulk packs too, love them for small game at ranges out to 300.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 9:12 pm

Mate im getting a stiffie with you talking like that...!!!

I know what you mean...i just cant believe how convincing the round is...
The first 6 shots that came out of this rifle in the field yielded 6 foxes--only out to im guessing 120--maybe 140 yds, but 3 of them were on the move so ive had to pick my squeeze in between blue bush & they all just fell over the instant that little bomb hits em.

Heres a bunny i got at about 170 yds under spotlight with the bag over the bonnet just this easter weekend...smooth sailing & clean hands dressing this one out & certainly no clots to soak off this one...!!! :lol:
It actually has a flap of skin left on one side of its head thats blown under its body...

2018-04-04 09.33.41.jpg
204'd bunny
2018-04-04 09.33.41.jpg (494.14 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

You're spot on with foxes saying its just like they get hit by lightning...!...& i now know why...

I kept 4 fox skins from the weekends jaunt, & the damage done under the skin by that small 32 Zmax i use is unbelievable...one full grown fox shot in the shoulder was a broken bloodied mess through to the other shoulder & extending up the neck...& that was just the 'meat & bone'...i didnt open it up to see its vitals.
All of this with no pelt damage apart from the 20 cal entry hole...its like its the perfect amount of energy for foxes with chest shots. :thumbsup:

I cant ever imagine being without one now... :unknown:

& feral pigeons...mate if you havnt, you need to see that through your scope...!!! :o :lol: :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 9:21 pm

Ok thanks SCJ429...ill have to try some of that powder & get the velocities up one day...

Ive got some 110 TNT's to try in the 7-08 too...
Cheers.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Apr 2018, 11:46 pm

Well, l am inspired by the effectiveness of the 204 on display here. So much so that I have arranged to buy a savage 25 for a good price second hand. Looking at the reloading information on the forum it looks like the 32 gn Z-max projies look the goods. The rifle I am buying has a 24 inch barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. I was considering loading with Benchmark 8208 with cci primers based on what people hear on the forum appear to be using. I am looking forward to cutting a swathe through our local fox population with the 204 when I get it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 08 Apr 2018, 1:09 am

I have a Sako 85 Varmint Laminated S/S in 204 Ruger....definitely one of my top 5 favourites, especially for cats :) Haven't bothered too much doing any load development as I bought a 500pack of the Hornady 32gr VMax ammo which puts 6 into a 5c coin at 100m. Doubt I can improve on that so I'll leave the reloading for now and work on it when it runs out.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Apr 2018, 10:16 am

Bruiser64 wrote:Well, l am inspired by the effectiveness of the 204 on display here. So much so that I have arranged to buy a savage 25 for a good price second hand. Looking at the reloading information on the forum it looks like the 32 gn Z-max projies look the goods. The rifle I am buying has a 24 inch barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. I was considering loading with Benchmark 8208 with cci primers based on what people hear on the forum appear to be using. I am looking forward to cutting a swathe through our local fox population with the 204 when I get it.

Sounds good mate - just make sure the primers are thick enough - I know the Rem 7.5s are and haven't had any of those pierce even with over max loads. I think there's a chart floating around on the net somewhere that has all the diff primer cup thicknesses listed so see if you can find that.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles