.204 owners - Want to hear your experience & recommendations

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Want to hear from .204 owners about their experiences an

Post by Cooper » 19 May 2018, 9:21 am

40gr Vmax don't work with me in my Howa Mini action with 20 inch barrel. I have some 39gr Speer TNT and some Berger 40gr to try. Otherwise I'll just stick with the 32gr Zmax
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 19 May 2018, 10:47 am

SCJ429 wrote:I have a feeling you are going to love your 204. I was shooting at 300 and loved watching the vapor trail all the way to the target. I was shooting off a bipod with a factory Unmodified unbedded rifle in a laminated stock. The Hornady brass is not the best but all I did was clean up the little kernel of brass on the inside of the case where they punch the flash hole. I would have neck turned them but I don't have a 20 cal mandrel. Hornady 40 grain Vmax are great as well. I am amazed that everyone thinks the 20 cals are blown around in the wind and that the big old lumbering 308 will do so much better.

What do you think of the Norma brass? My lgs has some that I am thinking of getting. It’s an interesting observation about the wind drift of the 308 compared to the 204. Ballistics is more complex than just bullet weight. I would have thought a projectile with a better ballistic coefficient travelling at a higher velocity has less travel time to the target. Therefore less time for a side wind to affect it. Which l suppose is why the 6.5 creedmore is now popular.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 19 May 2018, 2:29 pm

I must admit I was feeling a little smug after everyone expressed concern about my tiny bullet suffering in the wind and guys with projectiles more than four times bigger found they were struggling to read the windage and spread their group across the target.the little 204 is going nearly 1000 fps faster and for short range that helps when your down on BC.
I have used Norma brass in 222 and 300 Wim Mag. All my Weatherby brass is Norma. It is equal to the the best in the world I.e. Lapua, the only downside is it is expensive. I got given the Hornady brass so I will use it as it is only a hunting rifle and I am not trying to set any records with it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 May 2018, 1:00 am

Living out here in Butte Fuque WA, I like to support our LGS. So will probably just grab the Norma brass. I have never regretted spending more money on a quality product. I note your from the ACT ( which is where I grew up). Where can you hunt there? Or do you shoot in NSW? I am lucky where l live as I have quite a few good shooting options. The 204 should be the ducks guts on foxes. I plan to try both the hornady 40 grain vmax’s 32gn vmax’s and the 32gn zmax’s to see how they go.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2018, 8:47 am

I see that the Barn sell Norma 204 brass for $105/100 which is great value. I also like to support the local guy but we sometimes get interesting service here. I don't mind paying extra for good service but that is not always what you get. We have plenty of places to hunt here, all in NSW. The closest one to me only takes 40 minutes to drive to. I also get down to the South Coast. We mainly get after foxes but also deer, goats pigs and lots of crows. The 204 is great for crows, foxes and a heap of other things as long as you are sensible.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2018, 8:58 am

SCJ429 wrote:I see that the Barn sell Norma 204 brass for $105/100 which is great value. I also like to support the local guy but we sometimes get interesting service here. I don't mind paying extra for good service but that is not always what you get. We have plenty of places to hunt here, all in NSW. The closest one to me only takes 40 minutes to drive to. I also get down to the South Coast. We mainly get after foxes but also deer, goats pigs and lots of crows. The 204 is great for crows, foxes and a heap of other things as long as you are sensible.

Are we allowed to shoot crows in NSW?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2018, 10:38 am

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I see that the Barn sell Norma 204 brass for $105/100 which is great value. I also like to support the local guy but we sometimes get interesting service here. I don't mind paying extra for good service but that is not always what you get. We have plenty of places to hunt here, all in NSW. The closest one to me only takes 40 minutes to drive to. I also get down to the South Coast. We mainly get after foxes but also deer, goats pigs and lots of crows. The 204 is great for crows, foxes and a heap of other things as long as you are sensible.

Are we allowed to shoot crows in NSW?

Yes in certain areas it is permitted. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2018, 1:28 pm

Yes, you need a permit. Most sheep farmers are not too fond of the Australian Raven pecking the eyes out of there birthing ewes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2018, 1:34 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Yes, you need a permit. Most sheep farmers are not too fond of the Australian Raven pecking the eyes out of there birthing ewes.

Not sure you need a permit mate any links to it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 20 May 2018, 1:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Yes, you need a permit. Most sheep farmers are not too fond of the Australian Raven pecking the eyes out of there birthing ewes.

Don't know about the ACT but the only place Crows are protected in NSW is an area known as The Greater Sydney Land Area. Elsewhere they are game on.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2018, 2:49 pm

Apollo wrote:

Don't know about the ACT but the only place Crows are protected in NSW is an area known as The Greater Sydney Land Area. Elsewhere they are game on.

That's pretty much my understanding too, and I think there's some areas of the Illawarra that are off limits too but can't quite recall.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zook60 » 20 May 2018, 5:01 pm

I thought anywhere west of the blue mountains you are permitted to shoot crows.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 21 May 2018, 8:20 am

Sorry, I thought the crow was mentioned on the R license but it is not, my post should read pest bird species. Apologies to anyone who holds some affection for the Australian Raven. Otherwise I plead the 5th.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 8:58 am

SCJ429 wrote:Sorry, I thought the crow was mentioned on the R license but it is not, my post should read pest bird species. Apologies to anyone who holds some affection for the Australian Raven. Otherwise I plead the 5th.

Crows were one of the pests I shot lots of as a kid in sheep country, but I had thought they were now protected in all states. Would've been nice to discover they were still fair game somewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 21 May 2018, 8:58 am

SCJ429 wrote:Sorry, I thought the crow was mentioned on the R license but it is not, my post should read pest bird species. Apologies to anyone who holds some affection for the Australian Raven. Otherwise I plead the 5th.

I dont know what the rules are in the ACT/NSW, but here in WA although they are a native species in some local government areas there is an open season as they are a pest bird. In those with no open season permits can be apploied for to cull them if they are proving to be a pest. In WA there is also a declared open season on western grey and western red kangaroos in a number of local government areas as well. Despite what the greenies lie about, bothe species of kangaroo are prolific and abundant as verified by the regular surveys that are conducted here.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 21 May 2018, 9:06 am

bladeracer wrote:

Crows were one of the pests I shot lots of as a kid in sheep country, but I had thought they were now protected in all states. Would've been nice to discover they were still fair game somewhere.

In qld the Australian raven and torresian crow are protected under the wildlife conservation act 1992 and need a permit to shoot. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 9:09 am

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Crows were one of the pests I shot lots of as a kid in sheep country, but I had thought they were now protected in all states. Would've been nice to discover they were still fair game somewhere.

In qld the Australian raven and torresian crow are protected under the wildlife conservation act 1992 and need a permit to shoot. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Same here in Vic as far as I'm aware.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 21 May 2018, 2:28 pm

How can it be that crows are game on but the filthy bin chickens are game over?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 22 May 2018, 6:51 am

brett1868 wrote:How can it be that crows are game on but the filthy bin chickens are game over?

Crazy rules!!! :lol: :drinks:
Under the act up here even some species of invertebrates(spiders scorpions etc) are protected!!!!! :crazy: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 22 May 2018, 2:57 pm

From memory only and that can be bad at times I think in Vic all birds must be shot with a shotgun. i think it is put the other way around and says something like all bird species if not protected must not be shot with a single projectile gun. I could be way off and know a lot of sheep farmers and vineyards have lots of problems with them. the Raven with the white on the wings however just as bad but not as prevalent is definitely a native and protected.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Nov 2018, 9:25 am

Just thought I would give an update on the .204 now that I’ve had it for a while. I am very happy with the caliber and the rifle I bought. The recoil is mild and the 40 grain Vmax projies are very effective when head shooting Roos. I have the savage Model 25 Walking Varminter with the thumbhole stock. I am very happy with the accuracy of the rifle as well. I mainly spotlight out of my vehicle shooting off a Racken Rest. I am very confident with this setup. I have shot Roos, rabbits and foxes and it has been a highly effective caliber and rifle. If it is really windy, I prefer to use my .243 when shooting Roos though. Overall The .204 savage is a keeper for me.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2018, 11:49 am

Bruiser64 wrote:Just thought I would give an update on the .204 now that I’ve had it for a while. I am very happy with the caliber and the rifle I bought. The recoil is mild and the 40 grain Vmax projies are very effective when head shooting Roos. I have the savage Model 25 Walking Varminter with the thumbhole stock. I am very happy with the accuracy of the rifle as well. I mainly spotlight out of my vehicle shooting off a Racken Rest. I am very confident with this setup. I have shot Roos, rabbits and foxes and it has been a highly effective caliber and rifle. If it is really windy, I prefer to use my .243 when shooting Roos though. Overall The .204 savage is a keeper for me.

Good to hear mate, I certainly enjoy using mine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles