44mag accuracy expectations?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 44mag accuracy expectations?

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2018, 8:06 pm

in2anity wrote:This is some really useful info BR - thanks. I take it my groups are in the realm of somewhat "normal". I might actually try some jacketed loads to see what the rifle is capable of - any suggestions? 180gn HP XTPs good are they?

I have had zero interest in lever rifles all my life, until October last year, so I really can't tell you what is "normal" exactly :-)
But from what I've read, seen and tried myself I think your groups are pretty good.
I've got a few bullets to try, but mainly the 240gn Nosler Competition JHP bullet purely because it comes in bulk 250rd packs, although not any cheaper than some others. It has an exposed lead nose though which _might_ be damaged during seating so I thought the fully-ecapsulated XTP was worth trying. For me, with the loads I tested, the XTP was a little more accurate. Keep in mind after shooting cast that it'll need a few jacketed bullets down the tube to clean it out before it'll start grouping, so don't give up if the first group is 12" or more :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Apr 2018, 8:38 pm

bigrich wrote:thanks for the advice guys, at present i have the standard silver bead front sight post on my '94 with the hunting peep at 95 thou. tried the fire sights, the front post was way to low, couldn't be stuffed trying to order different fire sight front posts to get mine right. might try a slightly smaller rear app hole, have seen ones on brownells that have a brass ring around the hole to help in low light conditions. anyone ever tried a ivory front bead ? ( wouldn't be real ivory, just what their called i suppose ) all things considered i can sight up real quick, anything under 100 is hit. over 100 things start to get a bit vague. just don't really want a scoped or red dot lever gun. sort of defeats the purpose IMHO. i'll try tinkering some more with the app sights and practice practice practice i guess

Mate I reckon your 94 setup sounds pretty bloody perfect for hunting l- if your onto a good thing I say stick with it! Might not be so good for target shooting though - really depends on your intended application I guess
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm

groundhog wrote:Both 44 mag and 357 mag will work for CLAS rifle, preferably with heavy pills out of longer (24 inch) barrels. For the 44 this means 240 grain pills and for the 357 180 grain pills. As for the 38 special I don't know whether you have enough case capacity to fit the 180 grain pills as they are quite long with enough powder to keep them spinning out to 200m.
And yes Bladeracer you can use jacketed projectiles in CLAS.

Thanks GH, I thought jacketed bullets were okay but couldn't find a rule when I went looking.
I'll order some of Hornady's 200gn Interlock RN's to try in the .38.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'll order some of Hornady's 200gn Interlock RN's to try in the .38.

Didn't have to order them, my local has boxes of them on the shelf.
Just need to load some up and try them out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2018, 6:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:Keep in mind after shooting cast that it'll need a few jacketed bullets down the tube to clean it out before it'll start grouping, so don't give up if the first group is 12" or more :-)

Lol will do - picked up a old box of 240gn fmjs from Western - $30/100, a bargain! It’ll be interesting to see how they shoot vs the lead.

6643EB8C-AB06-47E7-BFA8-228573444DA4.jpeg
Hornady 240gn fmj
6643EB8C-AB06-47E7-BFA8-228573444DA4.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 5608 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 10 Apr 2018, 11:21 pm

Just watch with the FMJ's as many pistol silhouette ranges will not allow them, have to be a HP or SP projectile.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SillyWetTas » 12 Apr 2018, 8:51 pm

I shot a 357 out of a 12inch contender pistol for unlimited standing for a while.
180grn were good out to the Turkeys (150m) but were unreliable on the rams at 200m.
Was running my own cast 200grn on the rams. Every ram hit went down.
Marcus
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 13 Apr 2018, 8:18 am

SillyWetTas wrote:I shot a 357 out of a 12inch contender pistol for unlimited standing for a while.
180grn were good out to the Turkeys (150m) but were unreliable on the rams at 200m.
Was running my own cast 200grn on the rams. Every ram hit went down.
Marcus

Very useful to know.
What velocity were you running the 180gn and 200gn bullets at?

I loaded some 110gn XTP's yesterday for testing at 50m.
Fired one round and got the dreaded fail-to-extract that puts the '66 out of action. Had to go back to the office to dissassemble it and didn't get back out there. 1305fps which might be a touch hot for the toggle action, but the group was a very neat .357" hole :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 13 Apr 2018, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SillyWetTas » 13 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm

I never ran them over a crono.
Using ar2205 for both bullets.
15 grns for the 158.
And 12.7 for the 200grn
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by MrMickyD » 10 May 2018, 6:42 pm

Much more fun to shoot em out of a revolver.
MrMickyD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 7:03 pm

MrMickyD wrote:Much more fun to shoot em out of a revolver.

Not much fun if you have to go to a range, when they're open, to enjoy shooting it under their rules.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 May 2018, 8:44 pm

I just picked up a JM Marlin 32H&R $$$$ ouch - from an accuracy perspective the Chiappa just ain’t cutting the mustard - and there are many other negatives about the 44 I’ve come to realize (for target shooting that is). Plus, I can’t practice with larger than 8mm at ANZAC - dumbest rules I ever did hear. 32 it is.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 9:01 pm

in2anity wrote:I just picked up a JM Marlin 32H&R $$$$ ouch - from an accuracy perspective the Chiappa just ain’t cutting the mustard - and there are many other negatives about the 44 I’ve come to realize (for target shooting that is). Plus, I can’t practice with larger than 8mm at ANZAC - dumbest rules I ever did hear. 32 it is.

Yep, just plucked a random number out of somebody's arse and decide we all have to comply with it.
Do you have to fight them over the .32" being nominally bigger than 8mm, despite using a .312" bullet?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 10 May 2018, 9:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Not much fun if you have to go to a range, when they're open, to enjoy shooting it under their rules.

Thinking neither of you have fired a Coonan Competition.....My preferred method of emptying shells :)
The range is 20 mins from home, open 10am till 10pm 7 days (6pm Sundays) and I don't mind the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeruULHIu6E

IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG (70.79 KiB) Viewed 3093 times

158gr Hornady XTP
15.5gr AR2205
CCI 550
COAL 1.580"
1235fps on the LabRadar.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 May 2018, 9:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:I just picked up a JM Marlin 32H&R $$$$ ouch - from an accuracy perspective the Chiappa just ain’t cutting the mustard - and there are many other negatives about the 44 I’ve come to realize (for target shooting that is). Plus, I can’t practice with larger than 8mm at ANZAC - dumbest rules I ever did hear. 32 it is.

Yep, just plucked a random number out of somebody's arse and decide we all have to comply with it.
Do you have to fight them over the .32" being nominally bigger than 8mm, despite using a .312" bullet?

Geeze I hope that refers to bullet diameter - I know others have shot 32-20s there without issue, ima be mighty pissed if they reject this one too. Rifle cost me a freakin arm and a leg. I think it’ll be ok after all the 303 British is super popular there which has very similar diameters.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 May 2018, 9:25 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thinking neither of you have fired a Coonan Competition.....My preferred method of emptying shells :)
The range is 20 mins from home, open 10am till 10pm 7 days (6pm Sundays) and I don't mind the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeruULHIu6E

IMG_3565.JPG

158gr Hornady XTP
15.5gr AR2205
CCI 550
COAL 1.580"
1235fps on the LabRadar.

Lol - st Mary’s is good but I’m much closer to Anzac- besides I like soaking up a few rays while I’m at it
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 9:30 pm

in2anity wrote:Geeze I hope that refers to bullet diameter - I know others have shot 32-20s there without issue, ima be mighty pissed if they reject this one too. Rifle cost me a freakin arm and a leg. I think it’ll be ok after all the 303 British is super popular there which has very similar diameters.

.303 is under 8mm in both nomenclature and bullet diameter though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 May 2018, 9:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:Geeze I hope that refers to bullet diameter - I know others have shot 32-20s there without issue, ima be mighty pissed if they reject this one too. Rifle cost me a freakin arm and a leg. I think it’ll be ok after all the 303 British is super popular there which has very similar diameters.

.303 is under 8mm in both nomenclature and bullet diameter though.

Well hopefully they don’t purely go off name.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 9:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:Thinking neither of you have fired a Coonan Competition.....My preferred method of emptying shells :)

158gr Hornady XTP
15.5gr AR2205
CCI 550
COAL 1.580"
1235fps on the LabRadar.

240gn .44 Mag in a 629 is the most damage I've tried to inflict upon myself with a handgun.

Isn't a 158gn at 1235fps just a hot .38 Special load?

If it's raining, I can actually shoot from my office :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 9:58 pm

in2anity wrote:.303 is under 8mm in both nomenclature and bullet diameter though.

Well hopefully they don’t purely go off name.[/quote]

It just shows how vague and meaningless "up to 8mm" is, it should never have made it into any legal document.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 11 May 2018, 10:48 am

Isn't a 158gn at 1235fps just a hot .38 Special load?

A hot 38Spl is around 860fps with 10gr of AR2205, +P 38Spl is 934fps on 11gr of AR2205. Max load is 16gr in .357Mag so I'm up there but still have a .5gr margin of safety. I use the 158gr XTP cause I have 2 semi-auto .357's which must use jacketed projectiles and I buy them in bulk so the price is reasonable.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2018, 11:26 am

bladeracer wrote:It just shows how vague and meaningless "up to 8mm" is, it should never have made it into any legal document.

And do you know what rubs salt in the wound; without naming and shaming, the holder of the official license literally denied me access to the said document; flat out refused me, literally said "they owe me nothing". Makes me think the license itself is probably rather vague, and they don't want to open a can of worms because they know there's no substance behind their internal regs. I'm tempted to formally request a copy through the freedom of information act via a lawyer; but decided it'd be less of a headache just to jump through their stupid hoops (and just get something less that 8mm). grrrrrr.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 May 2018, 12:31 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It just shows how vague and meaningless "up to 8mm" is, it should never have made it into any legal document.

And do you know what rubs salt in the wound; without naming and shaming, the holder of the official license literally denied me access to the said document; flat out refused me, literally said "they owe me nothing". Makes me think the license itself is probably rather vague, and they don't want to open a can of worms because they know there's no substance behind their internal regs. I'm tempted to formally request a copy through the freedom of information act via a lawyer; but decided it'd be less of a headache just to jump through their stupid hoops (and just get something less that 8mm). grrrrrr.

I thought it was the Police that place the 8mm restriction on a range when granting the licence for them to operate?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2018, 1:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:

I thought it was the Police that place the 8mm restriction on a range when granting the licence for them to operate?

May well be the case, but that's exactly the point, I wanted clarification based on the facts. Anyways, rant over, enough complaining for one day :oops:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles