44mag accuracy expectations?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 44mag accuracy expectations?

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 9:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:Thinking neither of you have fired a Coonan Competition.....My preferred method of emptying shells :)
The range is 20 mins from home, open 10am till 10pm 7 days (6pm Sundays) and I don't mind the rules.

158gr Hornady XTP
15.5gr AR2205
CCI 550
COAL 1.580"
1235fps on the LabRadar.

240gn .44 Mag in a 629 is the most damage I've tried to inflict upon myself with a handgun.

Isn't a 158gn at 1235fps just a hot .38 Special load?

If it's raining, I can actually shoot from my office :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2018, 9:58 pm

in2anity wrote:.303 is under 8mm in both nomenclature and bullet diameter though.

Well hopefully they don’t purely go off name.[/quote]

It just shows how vague and meaningless "up to 8mm" is, it should never have made it into any legal document.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 11 May 2018, 10:48 am

Isn't a 158gn at 1235fps just a hot .38 Special load?

A hot 38Spl is around 860fps with 10gr of AR2205, +P 38Spl is 934fps on 11gr of AR2205. Max load is 16gr in .357Mag so I'm up there but still have a .5gr margin of safety. I use the 158gr XTP cause I have 2 semi-auto .357's which must use jacketed projectiles and I buy them in bulk so the price is reasonable.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2018, 11:26 am

bladeracer wrote:It just shows how vague and meaningless "up to 8mm" is, it should never have made it into any legal document.

And do you know what rubs salt in the wound; without naming and shaming, the holder of the official license literally denied me access to the said document; flat out refused me, literally said "they owe me nothing". Makes me think the license itself is probably rather vague, and they don't want to open a can of worms because they know there's no substance behind their internal regs. I'm tempted to formally request a copy through the freedom of information act via a lawyer; but decided it'd be less of a headache just to jump through their stupid hoops (and just get something less that 8mm). grrrrrr.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 May 2018, 12:31 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It just shows how vague and meaningless "up to 8mm" is, it should never have made it into any legal document.

And do you know what rubs salt in the wound; without naming and shaming, the holder of the official license literally denied me access to the said document; flat out refused me, literally said "they owe me nothing". Makes me think the license itself is probably rather vague, and they don't want to open a can of worms because they know there's no substance behind their internal regs. I'm tempted to formally request a copy through the freedom of information act via a lawyer; but decided it'd be less of a headache just to jump through their stupid hoops (and just get something less that 8mm). grrrrrr.

I thought it was the Police that place the 8mm restriction on a range when granting the licence for them to operate?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2018, 1:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:

I thought it was the Police that place the 8mm restriction on a range when granting the licence for them to operate?

May well be the case, but that's exactly the point, I wanted clarification based on the facts. Anyways, rant over, enough complaining for one day :oops:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles