Sako A7 Roughtech Pro

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sako A7 Roughtech Pro

Post by Flyer » 08 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the latest model Roughtech Pro? It's one of the few Sakos in 6.5 Creedmoor and I had a look at one in the LGS the other day and quite liked the feel of it. I picked up both the Roughtech Pro and Range models, but preferred the Pro. The barrel is a medium weight fluted 24.5" and feels nicely balanced, while the Range has a heavy fluted 26" barrel and does feel a bit front heavy.

Cheek weld is not as good on the Pro as the Range, which also has a thicker grip and flat base varmint style stock. The Range has it's intended purpose, but as I'll be shooting mainly offhand (field rifle and metallic silhouette), I'm leaning towards the Pro.

I like the idea of the bedded alloy block, but I guess that depends on how well the fit and finish is. I also like the three-lug bolt - even if it's push feed - and top loading - though I've heard the magazines lose tension after a while and rounds can pop out of the mag. I've got two Sakos - a 223 Varmint and 243 Bavarian - and almost exclusively top feed them.

I'm normally not a fan of synthetic stocks, but the A7 Pro seems to tick a lot of boxes . . . It's also not much more expensive than a Tikka Varmint 6.5 CM - of which I'm no great fan of the stock and would probably end up replacing it.

Should I, shouldn't I? The one hesitation I have is the last Sako I bought had an awful trigger and when I returned it, Beretta agreed it was awfully creepy . . . but said it was "within tolerances" and refused to swap it. I ended up spending an extra $300 on a set trigger to get something I liked.

Understandably, this left a bad taste and I'm a little loathe to buy another new Sako if I have to deal with any warranty/workmanship issues.

What say ye? Anyone have the A7?
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Re: Sako A7 Roughtech Pro

Post by groundhog » 08 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

Hi Flyer

I have an A7 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is an awesome rifle, a hell of a lot better than the original A7’s which I also have in 7-08. It points well and is pleasant to shoot.
For silhouette, hunting rifle, just watch the weight of the scope and rings you run as the basic rifle itself is slightly hefty- i run a Swarovski Z5 5-25 with weaver high rings and it is just under 4.2kg there is another A7 in creedmoor that originally did not make weight with a Zeiss scope.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 09 Apr 2018, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback mate. Is your 6.5Cm a Range or Pro model? I think they're the only two in that calibre. Any trouble with the magazines on your rifles? Any other issues?

Have you pulled the action out and, if so, how is the fit to the alloy bedding block? I have seen a few photos where it looks like the steel action leaves indentations in the bedding block, which is one of my main concerns.

How accurate are yours? Did they live up to the 5-shot MOA guarantee? Do you run handloads or factory?

Also, how would you compare 6.5Cm to 7-08? I'm also considering 7-08 or 6.5x55 in a Sako 85.

Thanks for the info on the scope - it will probably wear the Z5 3.5-18 on my Bavarian if I get it. I also have a Z5 5-25 as an option.

I appreciate the feedback.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by groundhog » 09 Apr 2018, 4:53 pm

I have the pro. The mags are a bit dinky, there is a little piece of plastic at the back that tends to break off but it does not affect operation, it just covers the primer of the top round in the mag.
I didn't notice any indentations in the bedding block when I took it apart to tweak the trigger, which is a fairly crisp unit breaking at 2 pounds.
Accuracy wise it is good. The first comp with it I ran factory Hornady 123 ELD X out to 385m and then handloaded 136 Lapua Scenar L's out to 500m and it shot sub MOA groups with both. I ended up with a 22 out of 40 in the hunting rifle match.

The 6.5CM to 7-08 is interesting, both myself and the missus never really warmed to the original A7 in 7-08 it was an unpleasant rifle to shoot. The CM is great but does stand some rams occasionally, that said my next custom rifle will most likely be a 6.5CM replacing a much loved 7-08. I have a friend who has a bavarian in 6.5x55 and he loves that.
The 6.5mm cartridges are pretty good across the board, I have 3 (6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47 and the CM) and all behave really well and will do whatever is asked of them with various different projectiles. The 7-08 is similar in a sense as I have not found a projectile it doesn't like but there is certainly more kick which at the end of an 80 shot match can be the difference between an OK shot and a good one.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 09 Apr 2018, 5:42 pm

Was the 7-08 unpleasant to shoot due to the stock? I heard the base model A7s have quite a flexible stock and obviously don't have the bedding block system.

Originally I was looking at 6.5x55 but the Creedmoor has become so popular in recent times that (bandwagons aside!) there just seems to be a much greater choice of good factory ammo and brass. It's a more efficient round, too.

I've tried metallic silhouette with my 243 but it would knock down maybe 1 in 2 rams and after trying a mate's 6.5x55, you could see and hear it hit with a lot more authority for very little increase in recoil. The 243 is also hampered with a 1:10 twist barrel that limits projectiles up to 100gr SPBT or 90-95gr VLD type. It seems to shoot the 87gr V-maxes best.

Can I ask, finally, if there is anything you don't like about the A7 Pro? Sounds like you're very happy with it overall. I think you've almost talked me into it :)
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by groundhog » 09 Apr 2018, 6:10 pm

With the 7-08 I cant be sure it just never felt right. This roughtech pro stock has a much better feel to it especially the palm swell, it holds and points a lot better. AS for the CM v 7-08 I still love shooting my custom rifle in 7-08 but this thing is one of the nicest out of the box rifles I have shot. Overall I am really happy with the rifle and am about to off load my A7 7-08 and the missus Winchester FWT 7-08 as we will share this for the foreseeable future.

I run the same loads and projectiles in the 6.5cm as in the 6.5x47 and they both shoot like demons.

As for the 243 i cannot say that I am a fan as they seem to turn powder into a lot of noise with not a lot of knock down energy, mainly due to the fact that the projectiles hit rams too fast and have no dwell time to impart their energy.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 09 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm

OK, you've convinced me :D

When I bought the 243 I was actually looking for a 6.5x55 but the Bavarian came up for a decent price and it is a really lovely rifle to shoot. The problem, as you state, is the cartridge. Flat shooting and great for hunting, but doesn't seem to have enough oomph out to 500m.

I developed a load with 95gr Tipped Matchkings that, on paper, looked like it would do really well: with a BC of .500 at 3200fps, it was just stable in the 1:10 twist and carried a lot of energy to 500m (almost 1000 ft lbs). But after noticing they weren't having any better effect on the rams than other loads, we covered a steel target with paper and shot it at 500m and couldn't believe what we saw when reached it - the paper had been shredded like it had gone through a paper shredder.

What we figured was, the TMK was so frangible that when it hit it exploded into many shards that shredded the paper, but of course lost all its impact energy in the process. We had better luck with the .430 BC 100gr Sierra SPBT projectlies at 3150fps, but the real surprise was the 87g V-max at almost 3300fps - it hit with authority and this was duplicated on a couple of other rifles (another 243 Sako and a Tikka). We also found what was left of the V-maxes when we inspected the targets and often the base and copper core were still intact, leaving a red (polymer tip) mark inside a good dent on the steel.

The moral of the story is a good expanding bullet seems to increase dwell time (the time it takes to crumple and expand) while focusing most of its energy where it hits - instead of exploding into a million pieces, with each scrap of copper/lead being lost energy as it flies in all directions.

The V-maxes carried the least amount of energy of the three loads to 500m. Go figure!
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 10 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm

Just ordered a black one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Did you end up replacing the Weaver mounts on yours?
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by groundhog » 10 Apr 2018, 11:16 pm

No I left the weaver mounts on it. They are more than adequate and help keep the weight down.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 10 Apr 2018, 11:23 pm

been there and done this with factory rifles never again for now on I will spend the money and get a action and put a maddco barrel on it and go shooting
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 11 Apr 2018, 12:44 am

I looked at rebarreling my 243 with a Kreiger #6 and rebedding it in a Sako varmint stock and it was going to be around $1500 - $400 less than a new A7. If I was going to use it for benchrest, then a custom jobby it would be. But for offhand shooting I just need something straight and reliable.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by deye243 » 11 Apr 2018, 2:22 pm

Flyer wrote:I looked at rebarreling my 243 with a Kreiger #6 and rebedding it in a Sako varmint stock and it was going to be around $1500 - $400 less than a new A7. If I was going to use it for benchrest, then a custom jobby it would be. But for offhand shooting I just need something straight and reliable.

tikka or howa
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 11 Apr 2018, 3:00 pm

I like Howas - they're robust, accurate, based on the old Sako action and great value - but they're a bit heavy and the stocks are pretty average unless you buy a barrelled action and bed your own stock. I did consider this.

As for Tikka, the A7 has one of the few barrel options you can't find on a Tikka - 24.4" medium weight fluted - as well as three-lug locking, short action, short bolt lift, top-loading magazine and an aluminium bedded stock all for about the same price as a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creed. The only other Tikkas in 6.5 Creed are the Lite and Tac models. Tacs are illegal in WA (and expensive), and Tikka Lites don't do it for me.

The A7 Pro just made sense for what I wanted. If it shoots as well as my other Sakos, I'll be happy.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Cooper » 15 Apr 2018, 6:02 pm

Sounds like a good thing Flyer. The Sako A7 is reviewed in the April addition of the SSAA mag. Shot under MOA with all the factory offerings. I could scan or take pictures of the article if you were interested.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by burek » 15 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm

Any 5 rounder magazines for the A7s?
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 17 Apr 2018, 1:29 am

Not sure about the 5-round mags.

I got the latest edition of SSAA - I'm a member - and it was pure coincidence they reviewed it about the same time I was looking to buy one. I'd been interested in the A7 for a while, but it seems the latest models have addressed a few issues, so I figured now was the time to pull the trigger, so to speak.

My rifle is due to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the license.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by wolfsburg » 17 Apr 2018, 3:32 pm

I have one in 308, seems to shoot really well , tried Hornady, Winchester, Fiocchi. Love the stainless fluted.

I haven't seen anywhere that does larger capacity mags aftermarket or otherwise, which is a shame..

s1.jpg
s1.jpg (106.95 KiB) Viewed 8640 times

s2.jpg
s2.jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 8640 times

s3.jpg
s3.jpg (157.84 KiB) Viewed 8640 times
wolfsburg
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 17 Apr 2018, 6:44 pm

Nice rifle mate. Is that a Zeiss 5-25?

Yes, the fluted barrels do seem to work as advertised. I was bench shooting alongside someone with a Remmy 700 varmint (non-fluted) 223 on Sunday with my fluted 223 Sako 85 varmint and we left both rifles to cool while we had a chat and when we went back his was still hot while mine had cooled.

My A7 hasn't arrived yet, so hopefully tomorrow.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by wolfsburg » 20 Apr 2018, 12:11 pm

Flyer wrote:Nice rifle mate. Is that a Zeiss 5-25?

3-15x42 Conquest HD5.

Ordered a metallic bolt shroud to improve aesthetics a bit over the plastic black one:

https://www.atlasworxs.com/collections/ ... er-sako-a7

Hasn't arrived yet, they are in Perth , I asked for express but he shipped it standard by the look of it.

Will update pics once installed.
wolfsburg
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 20 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm

Cool. I'm not too fussed over the plastic bits - though if they break I might be! Good to know they're down the road from me in Perth.

Mine arrived yesterday and is an exact replica of the A7 Creedmoor in the latest edition of the SSAA magazine (black and stainless).

But typical Beretta - I think they have blind men assembling their rifles, because the last two Sakos I've bought have had their barrels on the piss something wicked, with both touching the left-hand side of the stock. I don't know if they throw them together and just don't care, or if they fail to tighten the action screws enough so the barrel slips to one side during transit. But after retightening my 85 Varmint to specs, the barrel hasn't moved a bit, so it's probably the former (Beretta don't give a s**t).

Apart from that, I got what I wanted: a nice 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and action in a good synthetic stock. The bolt is as smooth as you would expect a Sako - or Tikka, for that matter - and it seems to have a little less wobble at the end of its travel compared to my 85s, perhaps because it's new. The trigger seems to be good, but the trigger spring is pretty heavy, so it will be interesting to see if there is any creep in it after I lighten it. Both my 85 set triggers are set at just over 1lb (normal trigger - 9oz set trigger), so I may invest in a lighter trigger spring for the A7 depending on how it feels.

The thing I like most about the rifle is how well balanced it is. It's fairly light - I weighed it at the shop and it tipped the scales at 3.455kg with the bolt, mag and Weaver mounts (which came already installed) - and the alloy bedded synthetic stock seems to be complement by the fluted medium-weight 24.4" barrel. When I picked up an A7 Roughtech Range a couple of weeks ago, I did notice it was a bit front heavy with 26" heavy fluted barrel and synthetic stock, but the Pro model feels very nice on the shoulder.

I won't know how it shoots until it's added to my licence (hopefully that won't take too long, but this is WA!) and I'm still deciding what scope to put on it. I've got a couple of Swarovski Z5s - a 3.5-18x44 and a 5-25x52 - so it will be one of those. The 5-25 is on my .223 target rifle, so it may have to be the 3.5-18. Might have to change the Weaver mounts first - depends how the monkeys have installed them.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Centerfire rifles