Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Post by Keith » 08 Apr 2018, 9:22 pm

1) Ammo is less expensive than a modern equivalent calibre firearm.
2) The smoothbore is very versatile, being able to digest round ball, bird shot, & buckshot, or any combination of two of these (can also use minies/conical slugs).
3) The fusil is lighter to carry than a modern equivalent sized gun.
4) You can vary the load if needs be.
5) The smoothbore will digest other projectiles besides lead.
6) Lead can be retrieved from downed game & remoulded with a simple mould & lead ladle. This means that you can carry less lead, & more of the lighter gunpowder.
7) You can make your own gunpowder.
8) You can use the lock to make fire without using gunpowder.
9) You can use gunpowder for gunpowder tinder fire lighting if needs be.
10) IF the lock should malfunction (these are very robust & it is not likely) you can easily repair it if you are carrying a few spare springs & a few simple tools.
11) If you do not have any spare parts & the lock malfunctions, you can easily convert it to a tinderlock or matchlock & continue using it.
12) You do not need a reloader, brass shells, caps, or primers. The latter have been known to break down in damp conditions or if they are stored for too long.
13) Wadding for ball or shot is available from natural plant materials or homemade leather or rawhide.
14) Less chance of being affected by future ammunition control legislation.
15) Gunpowder is easily obtainable providing you have a muzzle-loader registered in your name regardless of calibre (NSW).
16) A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks. For larger game you can load with conical slugs, which of course you can make yourself in the field.
17) Damage from a .62 calibre or .70 calibre pistol or long arm is in the extreme. Wounded prey is unlikely to escape.
18) By using buck & ball you are unlikely to miss your target. This load is capable of taking out more than one target.
19) There is less kick-back to a muzzle-loading gun.
20) Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.
.32 caliber flintlock rifle with double set triggers.
.62 caliber flintlock fusil with 42 inch smooth barrel.
.70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol with a brass cannon barrel & a left hand lock.
Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 9:59 pm

Keith wrote:Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.
16) A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks. For larger game you can load with conical slugs, which of course you can make yourself in the field.

20) Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.

More accurate than a .22LR to longer ranges?
My .22's shoot around 50mm groups at 100m.

Although antiques don't require licencing to own or purchase as curios, I thought you can't legally fire them without a firearms licence?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Keith » 08 Apr 2018, 10:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Keith wrote:Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

More accurate than a .22LR to longer ranges?
My .22's shoot around 50mm groups at 100m.

Although antiques don't require licencing to own or purchase as curios, I thought you can't legally fire them without a firearms licence?

I did not say anything about it being legal to shoot them. This info was originally written for survival. In which case if it all hits the fan & there is no longer any law & order it won't really be an issue.
I have a petition to change the rules on these pistols, but only 22 people have signed so far. Pretty pathetic effort considering we are all fighting gun control!
Regards, Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 10:39 pm

Keith wrote:I did not say anything about it being legal to shoot them. This info was originally written for survival. In which case if it all hits the fan & there is no longer any law & order it won't really be an issue.
I have a petition to change the rules on these pistols, but only 22 people have signed so far. Pretty pathetic effort considering we are all fighting gun control!
Regards, Keith.

I'm sure it's a very limited niche of interest :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles