my new fun in .375 ouch&ouch

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

my new fun in .375 ouch&ouch

Post by nightforcenxs » 18 Apr 2018, 6:43 pm

So about a year or more ago i found out what a ruger no 1 was and instantly had to have one well after a solid year of searching for one i found this one brand new still in box with original scope rings never been shot in .375 H&H in the 1-H tropical model the one i have got seems to have the most figuring ive ever seen in the walnut in all the ruger no 1's ive looked at for sale so hope you guys can appreciate a nice single shot classic. :D
Attachments
IMG_0268 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0268 - Copy.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 4817 times
IMG_0272 - Copy.JPG
next to a 308 case for size comparison
IMG_0272 - Copy.JPG (910.62 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: my new fun in .375 ouch&ouch

Post by bigpete » 18 Apr 2018, 7:08 pm

Nice mild cartridge in a classic rifle. What's not to like !!!!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 18 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm

bigpete wrote:Nice mild cartridge in a classic rifle. What's not to like !!!!

not gonna lie BP im kinda nervous to shoot it but im sure i will be ok im not recoil sensitive at all should be alot of fun
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 18 Apr 2018, 9:13 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:
bigpete wrote:Nice mild cartridge in a classic rifle. What's not to like !!!!

not gonna lie BP im kinda nervous to shoot it but im sure i will be ok im not recoil sensitive at all should be alot of fun

Kinda like a hot 308 - you’ll be right! Maybe load it down for volumes of shooting?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 18 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

a truly great round and rifle, your going to have a lot of fun :thumbsup:

the lighter loads, 235gr boot more than the 300gr because you use a faster powder
the round was made for use with the 270gr and works best with adi 2209 for heavy pills

I have been thinking of having mine re-chambered to 375 weatherby, and extra 300 fps, something to look at later on, maybe :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Apr 2018, 9:51 pm

Well done, my favourite American rifle and one of the strongest. A classic caliber to boot. You are going to love shooting the #1.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 19 Apr 2018, 9:18 am

thanks fellas i only got 20 shots of federal that are loaded with 270gr SP speer they were $90 haha then ill reload them cases with some sierra 250gr game kings and ill try the 300gr game kings ill try some ar2208 first ADI states i can use it plus i use it for the 308 and 223 so would be nice to keep same powder for the 3 and marksman after awhile i will probably want something with more bang when i get use to this but i may even get another ruger no 1 and have it chambered for 416 rigby or maybe 45/70 and hot load some woodleigh 400gr or i could go to the extreme and go 458 lott
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 19 Apr 2018, 1:28 pm

If you’re near brisbane, shooters delight have PPU 300gr 375 h&h for $48/20.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Apr 2018, 3:11 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:thanks fellas i only got 20 shots of federal that are loaded with 270gr SP speer they were $90 haha then ill reload them cases with some sierra 250gr game kings and ill try the 300gr game kings ill try some ar2208 first ADI states i can use it plus i use it for the 308 and 223 so would be nice to keep same powder for the 3 and marksman after awhile i will probably want something with more bang when i get use to this but i may even get another ruger no 1 and have it chambered for 416 rigby or maybe 45/70 and hot load some woodleigh 400gr or i could go to the extreme and go 458 lott

you use the 375 H&H cases to form the 375 weatherby, its the improved version of the 375 H&H :thumbsup:
one of the only real improved chambering's that are worthwhile :drinks:
the only cost is rechambering the barrel and get your dies rechambered at the same time :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 19 Apr 2018, 9:17 pm

When I had the Ruger catalogue I coveted the no 1 and had opportunity to shoot 3 rds of 416 Rigby through the Ruger safari rifle in the territory.375 H@H is way enough for any Australian shooting scenerio.Enjoy
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2018, 9:21 pm

marksman wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:thanks fellas i only got 20 shots of federal that are loaded with 270gr SP speer they were $90 haha then ill reload them cases with some sierra 250gr game kings and ill try the 300gr game kings ill try some ar2208 first ADI states i can use it plus i use it for the 308 and 223 so would be nice to keep same powder for the 3 and marksman after awhile i will probably want something with more bang when i get use to this but i may even get another ruger no 1 and have it chambered for 416 rigby or maybe 45/70 and hot load some woodleigh 400gr or i could go to the extreme and go 458 lott

you use the 375 H&H cases to form the 375 weatherby, its the improved version of the 375 H&H :thumbsup:
one of the only real improved chambering's that are worthwhile :drinks:
the only cost is rechambering the barrel and get your dies rechambered at the same time :drinks:

I once considered getting my 300 weatherby converted to 375 weatherby,just figured a case that size should be pushing a far bigger pill lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 20 Apr 2018, 1:22 pm

thanks for the info guys i went and bought a leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 today for it and mounted it got more then 5 inches of eye relief on it so no scope brow will happen the old wallet is feeling it now haha :lol:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 29 Apr 2018, 9:14 am

so i went and ran the ruger in kick is fine like a hot 308 with alot of push i shot 7 shots but the last 3 were painful the standard butt pad just starts biting into your shoulder has anyone had experience with pachmayr decelerator pads i would like to shoot more then 10 shots at the range when i go lucky i had my brother there to finish the last 10 for me also i couldnt con anyone into shooting it
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Apr 2018, 9:53 am

nightforcenxs
Don't know about Pachmayr but I like my Past Recoil Shield :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Apr 2018, 10:53 am

nightforcenxs wrote:so i went and ran the ruger in kick is fine like a hot 308 with alot of push i shot 7 shots but the last 3 were painful the standard butt pad just starts biting into your shoulder has anyone had experience with pachmayr decelerator pads i would like to shoot more then 10 shots at the range when i go lucky i had my brother there to finish the last 10 for me also i couldnt con anyone into shooting it

try some 2206 over 235gr loads for fun :drinks:
they are a lot sharper but your brain still doesn't rattle like when you shoot a 505 gibbs :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 29 Apr 2018, 12:34 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:nightforcenxs
Don't know about Pachmayr but I like my Past Recoil Shield :D

i had a look at them they seem good also looked at like a shotgun vest with the pad the standard recoil pad is only 10mm thick hard rubber with sharp edges but the buttstock is sorta weird how it makes the recoil is makes it go down then pushes you back ive looked at limbsaver and they are soft i was shooting unsupported sitting straight up and down but i did rest my elbows once on the bench to hold it steady so i could atleast get it on paper and it bit me :lol:

Marksman ill have to get some for lighter loads but ive got 100 of the speer SP BT 270gr will try them with the 2208 65gr max charge should be fun personally just loved it every time i pulled the trigger it made old mate beside me flinch and shake rust off the roof :lol:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2018, 1:24 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:so i went and ran the ruger in kick is fine like a hot 308 with alot of push i shot 7 shots but the last 3 were painful the standard butt pad just starts biting into your shoulder... ...

Hey nfnxs,
Thats a handsome looking rifle mate...!!

Im a virgin to shooting anything that big, & im a woos to recoil (ive had enough after just 6 rounds of 300winmag), but id have helped you out & pushed one or two rounds out if i was there...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 29 Apr 2018, 1:45 pm

Stix wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:so i went and ran the ruger in kick is fine like a hot 308 with alot of push i shot 7 shots but the last 3 were painful the standard butt pad just starts biting into your shoulder... ...

Hey nfnxs,
Thats a handsome looking rifle mate...!!

Im a virgin to shooting anything that big, & im a woos to recoil (ive had enough after just 6 rounds of 300winmag), but id have helped you out & pushed one or two rounds out if i was there...!!

thanks stix this is my first big gun only ever shot 308 before i showed them the case and they said F**K that plus i told them it was $90 for 20 shots i asked one guy 3 times and he said no way every time said he liked his shoulder :lol:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Apr 2018, 2:39 pm

Marksman ill have to get some for lighter loads but ive got 100 of the speer SP BT 270gr will try them with the 2208 65gr max charge should be fun personally just loved it every time i pulled the trigger it made old mate beside me flinch and shake rust off the roof :lol:[/quote]

I bought my 375 H&H as a doner for a 300wm build but I made the mistake in shooting it first and it really shot well with the 270 gr projectiles so could not go ahead with it, the 375 H&H was made for shooting the 270 gr projectiles and I have found 2209 to be what works well with mine
I did load testing with hornady interlock 220gr bullets with 2206 to see how they went trying to get a bit better trajectory but recon the 270 gr loads are as good and easier to shoot, so this is why I have the opinion of rechambering to 375 weatherby for another 300 fps for better trajectory, it is as easy as the rechamber job on your existing barrel and shooting 375 H&H cases through it, jobs done, a truthfully worthwhile improvement :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles