Sportco .22 Clubman trigger help

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Sportco .22 Clubman trigger help

Post by coffeecycle22 » 20 Apr 2018, 2:17 am

HI all been reading on the side lines and adding my first post. Only been shooting for 18 months coming across from archery, i'm a paper puncher and enjoy long range and pistol. Have restored a nice 308 Omark with custom stock, barrel adaptor and 26 inch maddco SS barrel that can hold it's own against the pricey firearms on the line. For practice I want to build a .22 benchrest rifle and came across a single shot Sportco clubman match rifle, see the original add below. The barrel is in very good condition internally, the stock needs a complete strip, reshape and a true oil (the Omark came up amazing so will apply the same process to the Sportco) .Tidy up the bolt and firing pin with nos springs etc that I found online, bed the action etc. Then add a dovetail to picatinny adaptor, Burris signature rings with 10 moa inserts and a Bausch & Lomb 36x40 fixed scope. The only poor thing on the rifle mechanically is the sideways movement on the trigger, pull is very very light and needs adjusting back if I keep it. I am sure I could shim out the sideways shift but was wondering if anybody has any experience in doing a trigger upgrade, Timney, Jewell etc to a sportco clubman (or like model sportco .22) Any information on this trigger or spare parts and information on the rifle as a whole would be greatly appreciated.. When the PTA comes through and I get her home I will add photos of base line first shots and then the restoration and final shots and see if I improve her or bugger it. :)

Here's the add and a photo

Clubman.png
Original advert early 60's.
Clubman.png (147.35 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
Attachments
clubman 1.jpg
clubman 1.jpg (8.76 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
coffeecycle22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Sportco .22 Clubman trigger help

Post by deanp100 » 20 Apr 2018, 7:30 pm

The trigger guy in Facebook and ebay has added many sportco models to his list of triggers he will tackle and as most sportcos are basically the same he would be the man. He will make any factory trigger nice and I am sure he can make one heavier. I had a clubman for a while and they are a nice rifle, worth working on. There were a couple of adjustment screws that allowed 2 stage as well but I can’t remember enough about them to quote which screw did what.
Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by coffeecycle22 » 22 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

Thanks Deano, I will seek him out and see what he says.
coffeecycle22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by coffeecycle22 » 17 May 2018, 7:06 pm

Finally got the pta and went and picked up the Clubman. Stripped her down to have a poke around and was nicely surprised, action bedded and barrel floated and overall everything is pretty good. The sideways motion of the trigger is more to the lack of timber around the sides of the trigger from what I can work out as everything else on the trigger and how it mounts to the action has very little movement. Be nice if I could see some pictures of another sportco trigger set if anybody can take the time. Even has the Parker Hale attachment on the front of the stock and parts inside. Local range is closed for some work so will be a few weeks before I get to try her out.
Sportco Clubman1.jpg
Clubman
Sportco Clubman1.jpg (406.3 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Sportco Clubman2.jpg
Bedding
Sportco Clubman2.jpg (418.82 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Sportco Clubman6.jpg
Action
Sportco Clubman6.jpg (453.38 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Sportco Clubman4.jpg
Trigger
Sportco Clubman4.jpg (452.55 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
coffeecycle22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 May 2018, 9:06 am

its a nice looking setup, I would own it :drinks:
it shows someone has been very serious with the rifle in the past :thumbsup:
I don't know anything about the trigger on your rifle but sideways movement is not a good thing for consistency
how I would fix it is to drill out the existing pin holes with a slightly larger than the hole drill bit and cut the drill bit off as a new pin
drill bits are hardened and are good for pins :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 18 May 2018, 12:39 pm

The action is the same one used in the 10a rimfire and the sportco hornet. The triggers are different on the target model. It can be adjusted for single or double stage pull . I cannot remember how I did it and which screws did which. Mine was a great shooter but wouldn’t eject SK ammo. Chamber was too tight which is a good thing.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles