LA102 in 6.5 CM

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: LA102 in 6.5 CM

Post by Gwion » 01 May 2018, 12:15 pm

deye243 wrote:hmmmm didn't they just bring out a lh la101

Yep. And they released the llefty rimfire about 6 months after the righty 101.
There was talk that the 102 would see a lefty released once initial orders for right handers were filled, similar to the 101 roll out.
After waiting and waiting, i emailed them and got the response that there are no plans for a lefty centerfire. Maybe they don't sell as many lefty 101s as they thought so aren't going down thatvtrack with the 102.
I was very disappointed.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by pete1 » 01 May 2018, 12:32 pm

Bit disappointing really, no LH.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 May 2018, 4:56 pm

funny thing is I prefer left hand but can't use a lh rifle I tried for 6 months but sold it
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 May 2018, 9:09 pm

deye243 wrote:funny thing is I prefer left hand but can't use a lh rifle I tried for 6 months but sold it

Why?
Took me a few weeks to teach myself to shoot left handed. A few years later it still feels a bit mumted but i can shoot straight and see a hell of a lot better out of my left eye at distance.
Must say, i did enjoy being able to go back to right handed shooting at a clay shoot/fun day we had last year. Wont bothe getting a lefty shot gun but will stick to lefties for all my hunting rifles. Fclass rifles will all be rh action in lh stock..... works very well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 01 May 2018, 9:24 pm

I just grew up right handed but left eye dominant so I use right handed rifles on my left and work a bolt just as quick standing but quicker than most of a pod .

this is 9 shots off a bipod at 50y
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Be2hx-JKFNo
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 May 2018, 9:37 pm

Yeah. I'm naturally a righty as well but i can't work the right bolt without completely losing my sight picture and a good hold on the rifle. It's much better for my pest control shooting using a lefty. Tried it the other way for 6 months or more before buying a lefty.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PaddyT » 02 May 2018, 12:46 pm

When I picked up my LA101 from the LGS the other week the owner of the shop mentioned he had been out at Lithgow Arms on a trade day. He said that he asked them about lefthanded centerfires and the reply was that they would need orders of 400 rifles before going ahead - which is apparently about 8 days production, not including tooling which is an extra couple of days- so we might be waiting a while- which is a real bummer as I will be in the market for a varmint style 243 or 6.5 cm in the next few months- looks like Finland will get the sale again
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2018, 2:17 pm

Hmmm... how can we generate 400 rifle orders.... :ugeek:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by axio » 14 Jun 2018, 8:55 pm

Looking at the platform for hunting since we have some 6.5 projectile choice now. Also the laminate + titanium version looks cool!

Anyone got theirs or an ETA?
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 15 Jun 2018, 6:11 am

axio wrote:Looking at the platform for hunting since we have some 6.5 projectile choice now. Also the laminate + titanium version looks cool!

Anyone got theirs or an ETA?

I was told end of May / early June.. Still waiting mate. Will let you know once it arrives.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by axio » 15 Jun 2018, 9:41 pm

Cool be interested to see when you get yours

I asked around and they basically have no ETA
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 15 Jun 2018, 10:28 pm

Well I'd say all dealers would be in the same boat. God knows when it will turn up then. Will keep you posted mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 16 Jun 2018, 8:29 pm

How much is the LA102 if you don't mind my asking? I just picked up my 6.5CM A7 Roughtech Pro, which was $1900, and I really like it. The trigger is one of the best I've used (I did replace the spring in it with a lighter version) and the fluted barrel doesn't seem to heat up quickly compared to my sporter 243. I've only put a few shots through it at the indoor range to sight in the scope, but will have a blast with it at the 200m range tomorrow.

I've got a couple of boxes of Federal 140gr Powershok (also known at "Non Typical" in the US). I guess it's cheap for a reason - one of the rounds wouldn't chamber and when I got it home to measure, the head spacing was wrong, with the shoulder protruding a bit more forward than it should. The other nine rounds shot OK.

I pulled down the one that wouldn't chamber and it's not a bad looking bullet - it's a game point design (hollow nose filled in with lead, but flattened off, even though they call it a "soft point") with a boat tail and .439 BC. Not sure what powder was in it - it wasn't 2209 (H4350) - but there were 41.5gr of it. Whatever it was! I'm going to resize it and put it back together and have another go at firing it!
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 17 Jun 2018, 6:26 am

Flyer wrote:How much is the LA102 if you don't mind my asking? I just picked up my 6.5CM A7 Roughtech Pro, which was $1900, and I really like it. The trigger is one of the best I've used (I did replace the spring in it with a lighter version) and the fluted barrel doesn't seem to heat up quickly compared to my sporter 243. I've only put a few shots through it at the indoor range to sight in the scope, but will have a blast with it at the 200m range tomorrow.

I've got a couple of boxes of Federal 140gr Powershok (also known at "Non Typical" in the US). I guess it's cheap for a reason - one of the rounds wouldn't chamber and when I got it home to measure, the head spacing was wrong, with the shoulder protruding a bit more forward than it should. The other nine rounds shot OK.

I pulled down the one that wouldn't chamber and it's not a bad looking bullet - it's a game point design (hollow nose filled in with lead, but flattened off, even though they call it a "soft point") with a boat tail and .439 BC. Not sure what powder was in it - it wasn't 2209 (H4350) - but there were 41.5gr of it. Whatever it was! I'm going to resize it and put it back together and have another go at firing it!

G’day Mate

Around $1300 for the LA102 in synthetic titanium. The laminate stock is a little dearer as you would expect.
I also had a look at those powershock 6.5 CM factory rounds in the shop but haven’t purchased any. I was considering buying a couple of hindered if they shot ok however I have the brass etc and will just start from scratch.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Jun 2018, 10:15 am

I've tried those powershok in 6.5.
Not bad as a plinking round for $22-30 a box.
They are no eld-m but half the price for plinking steel.
My tikka tac a1 still keeps them sub moa for plinking at clays at 500m.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 17 Jun 2018, 10:17 am

MontyShooter wrote:I've tried those powershok in 6.5.
Not bad as a plinking round for $22-30 a box.
They are no eld-m but half the price for plinking steel.
My tikka tac a1 still keeps them sub moa for plinking at clays at 500m.

Nothing wrong with that mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 17 Jun 2018, 8:22 pm

JimTom wrote:G’day Mate

Around $1300 for the LA102 in synthetic titanium. The laminate stock is a little dearer as you would expect.
I also had a look at those powershock 6.5 CM factory rounds in the shop but haven’t purchased any. I was considering buying a couple of hindered if they shot ok however I have the brass etc and will just start from scratch.

Good price. There was a guy next to me shooting an LA102 today and doing very nicely with it. It was a 223 laminate.

I gave the 6.5 Sako a bit of a workout today and it grouped well . . . for the most part, anyway. The Powershok ammo is exactly as it's name suggests: shocking! Most chambered OK, but a few would barely chamber at all. Everything was sub-MOA until I'd put a hard-to-chamber round in and it would blow out the group.

I resized the round that wouldn't chamber on Thursday, and sure enough it pushed the shoulder back and I was able to chamber it today. That shot hit the bull(!), which shows there's probably nothing wrong with the load, but that Federal's case quality leaves something to be desired.

From all I've read, most 6.5 Creedmoors have tight (match) chambers, so they are not very tolerant of dodgy ammo. All my Lappy cases are good, though, and I'll start reloading next week to see how she runs.

Here's hoping your Lithgow comes through soon. There was another guy shooting off the bench today who had a left-hand Tikka Sporter (223), and that thing shot lights out - it was putting factory ADI 55gr soft points through the same hole. Nice gun!
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 17 Jun 2018, 8:29 pm

That Aussie outback 55gn .223 is good stuff. I put a few through my Tikka and it surprised the hell out of me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by axio » 24 Jun 2018, 7:24 pm

Spoke to Lithgow today, they're about 2 months out from release due to the LA105. Though that was assuming I was talking about new orders not existing?

Thinking might just go the 308
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Jun 2018, 7:30 pm

Hey buddy. Did they say if the was a delay eighth 105... thinking about getting one and my lgs said very long wait could be 12months, as they didn't know how many were on back order
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 24 Jun 2018, 7:30 pm

Dont be to surprised mate. I am definitely not holding my breath waiting for it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by axio » 24 Jun 2018, 7:39 pm

From what I was told, the LA105 is due in about 2 months. 6.5cr LA102 should follow shortly after.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Jun 2018, 7:46 pm

Lol wern't they supposed to come out q2 2018...rotfl.

This news has caused me issue...I want a 6.5cm gun next, and 105 was the top of the list, don't want a ruger as got one in 308... so that leaves the tikka tac a1 and howa hcr... I am learning towards the 26" howa... it's cheaper to boot. Anyone give me an suggestions
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by axio » 24 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm

Lol yeh is a tough one. Anyway I handled the LA105 today at shot show and the KRG chassis it uses is a real nice package, of course this is no expert review since I only held it for 2mins, but it's worth keeping on the list. The vertical style pistol grip felt good too.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by albat » 25 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm

these rifles have a big ? mark after them now they are recalling the .223 for cracked barrels buyer beware!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 25 Jun 2018, 9:48 pm

albat wrote:these rifles have a big ? mark after them now they are recalling the .223 for cracked barrels buyer beware!

Haven’t heard about that yet mate. Where is that promulgated?
10 year warranty on the rifle so worst case I guess you hand it back and get another one.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 25 Jun 2018, 9:49 pm

Disregard. Just found it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Jun 2018, 6:14 am

Lol seriously did all the fanboys stop driving hillis when Toyota had recalls a couple years ago. Did apple stop selling iPhones after the aerial/reception issues or Samsung after the note 7 burning up.... be reasonable
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

If anything it will probably make them try a lot harder and quality control will be on top of their game.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 26 Jun 2018, 2:45 pm

sungazer wrote:If anything it will probably make them try a lot harder and quality control will be on top of their game.

Yep... I reckon you are onto it, there. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles