LA102 in 6.5 CM

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: LA102 in 6.5 CM

Post by JimTom » 18 Feb 2019, 5:58 am

Yeah mate I had one on order last year however they have still not turned up so I ended up with a Sako instead in 6.5CM.
I don’t think you will be disappointed, the LA102 is a nice rifle.
Let us know if / when it turns up mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by BulletFast » 21 Feb 2019, 7:05 pm

They'll be out shortly. There's a bunch of people in the factory chewing their faces off trying to sort it out as quickly as possible. The recall has been an deep annoyance to everyone who has a rifle, or one on back order, but it's been heart breaking for the team that builds them.
BulletFast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

I bet it has mate. I would've been prepared to wait if they could of offered a timeline or even an estimate as to when they would be available.
I wrote to them several times and never once recieved a response, so I went and purchased another brand. Pity, I did really want to support Lithgow, and I like their product.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by MaverickJacko » 15 Jul 2019, 7:02 pm

Just got mine today!!
Attachments
20190715_164324.jpg
20190715_164324.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 5054 times
1990 Ford Maverick
MaverickJacko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 16 Jul 2019, 6:56 am

Very nice mate. Kind of wished I had waited now. In saying that, my Sako goes just fine. Please chuck some pics up when you get out to the range to sight her in.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Jul 2019, 12:09 pm

Just had a gander at one at my LGS. Fine looking bit of kit, and to reiterate, I do wish I had waited.
See what calibre they release next.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 18 Jul 2019, 4:43 pm

Atleast they got the twist rate right, what's the weight of these things??
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 19 Jul 2019, 9:02 am

Bill wrote:Atleast they got the twist rate right, what's the weight of these things??

They are pretty heavy, 3.5kg for the plastic stock, and 3.6-3.7kg for the timber and laminate stocks.

once you throw a sling, scope mounts, scope and ammunition at it I reckon it would be 4.2-4.5 kg

I keep hoping they start to offer a couple of different barrel profiles to suit different uses.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 19 Jul 2019, 12:11 pm

Thanks kumaabear, yeah sound more rangish in weight. Anything over 9lbs gets boring real quick for us old farts when you carry it half a day in the hand.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 19 Jul 2019, 1:18 pm

Yeah they sort of went for the "one gun for range and hunting" and went with a middle ground between a varmint and hunting barrel profile.

Which is awesome, if you did only want one gun... nobody I know that has got one has also managed to not buy a 2nd :lol:

Made sense to go for the catch all option as their first offering I guess, hoping for more options down the track.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MaverickJacko » 03 Aug 2019, 12:22 pm

Hey Guys,
Just for informations sake I've weighed my LA102 6.5CM including a full 3 round mag, Scope, sling and bipod. The total came in at 5220g or 11.5 pound. Now you could mount a lighter scope as the Vortex HST comes in at 640g or 1.4lb and the bipod is a bit of an optional which weighs in at 360g/ 0.8 lb. Also the laminate stock weighs at least a pound more than the synthetic model.
Compared to my Tikka SS fluted Walnut stock in .30-06 with sling scope and 5 shot mag (no bipod) which weighs a beautiful 3470g or 7.65 pound, the Lithgow is a lump to get around the bush with.
Over the last few days hunting North of Cairns the Lithgow was decidedly more of an effort to carry around. It has a longer barrel and the bipod which would make it less balanced than the Tikka that's for sure but the other thing I didn't really like about the Lithgow is that you can't 'thumb' safety off. I love the three position safety, which allows you to cycle the bolt without the trigger being enabled, but for walking creeks or billabong edges where muddy boars might appear short notice a safety that you can quickly click off - like the tang mounted safety of a Tikka and others- is almost crucial imo.

Coming from a military arms manufacturer, I'm not sure why they've placed the safety in an awkward spot like that. Perhaps reminiscent of the SMLE.

Anyways that's my 2 bob
1990 Ford Maverick
MaverickJacko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Aug 2019, 8:18 pm

MaverickJacko wrote:Hey Guys,
Just for informations sake I've weighed my LA102 6.5CM including a full 3 round mag, Scope, sling and bipod. The total came in at 5220g or 11.5 pound. Now you could mount a lighter scope as the Vortex HST comes in at 640g or 1.4lb and the bipod is a bit of an optional which weighs in at 360g/ 0.8 lb. Also the laminate stock weighs at least a pound more than the synthetic model.
Compared to my Tikka SS fluted Walnut stock in .30-06 with sling scope and 5 shot mag (no bipod) which weighs a beautiful 3470g or 7.65 pound, the Lithgow is a lump to get around the bush with.
Over the last few days hunting North of Cairns the Lithgow was decidedly more of an effort to carry around. It has a longer barrel and the bipod which would make it less balanced than the Tikka that's for sure but the other thing I didn't really like about the Lithgow is that you can't 'thumb' safety off. I love the three position safety, which allows you to cycle the bolt without the trigger being enabled, but for walking creeks or billabong edges where muddy boars might appear short notice a safety that you can quickly click off - like the tang mounted safety of a Tikka and others- is almost crucial imo.

Coming from a military arms manufacturer, I'm not sure why they've placed the safety in an awkward spot like that. Perhaps reminiscent of the SMLE.

Anyways that's my 2 bob

Good point Jacko,
I used to run a 30mm tubed scope with a 50 mm objective which would weight in the order of 700-800 grams .This pushed the overall weight of my polymer stocked LA102 to around 4.45 kgs. Getting a tad heavy to carry about. I then changed over to a 1-inch tube scope which shaved around 300 grams from the total weight of the outfit - still runs around 4.2 kgs now but 300 grams in substantial - still heavy but tolerable.
Compared to a few other stalking rifles i hav which weight around 3.3-3.5 kg scoped.....yes the lithgow is heavy. But still nice to shoot!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MaverickJacko » 03 Aug 2019, 8:50 pm

Yeah sorry I should have mentioned that! Shooting it in was a pleasure and in 3 4 round groups I had 3 rounds touching the same hole! Love that sort of accuracy. This was on a windy day and off a bipod at 100m
1990 Ford Maverick
MaverickJacko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Aug 2019, 9:36 pm

i tend to use my LA102 in 308 shooting either from the vehicle or in a ground blind. I have carried it over short distances without a problem (flat paddock terrain) but wouldn't entertain carrying over hill and dale.

I have seen a few stockmakers with carbon-fibre stocks to suit the LA102 ....but at $1000+ it defeats the purpose.

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles