My Ruger precision Rimfire review.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: My Ruger precision Rimfire review.

Post by Cooper » 13 May 2018, 10:17 am

bigrich wrote:
Cooper wrote:So I fitted my Magpul M-lok bi pod mount. Was a little bit more painful than I expected. There is brown lock tight stuff on the threads. Pretty much the whole length of the threads. Which made it difficult to get the tabs that go inside in the forend from spinning. Once tightened up all was good. I fitted the Harris Bi pod keen for a quick test.

It was less that 8 degrees outside. Probably closer to 6 degrees and nearly dark. I set the target at my usual 63 metre spot. First 5 shots into I/2 an inch at 63 metres not 50! This was even better as it was afresh packet out of CCI standard I just pull out of a new case (5000). The next 5 shot group went 1 inch. Maybe I spoke too soon.

I settled down a bit and tried to shot a tight group before packing it away for the night. On a new target I shot a .8 group but 4 shots went .4 as their was only one flyer.

Keen to do a bit of 100 metre testing. Hopefully on the weekend.

hey cooper, just curious, did you find your rifle shot more consistantly from a bench rest or off your bipod ? any feedback would be appreciated. cheers

I probably really need to post a picture off my testing range... I'll do my best to described it words.

I open the back door to the deck. Look up the hill to the Telecommunications log/stump (where I had to go make a phone call before I had a phone booster in the house.) The foam lid of the Spa serves as my bench and I couch behind it using a bipod and a Caldwell rear bag. Spa to stump is 63 metres. Shooting range in quite uphill and effected by wind a fair bit. I also have to shot through a wire fence for extra challenge. But it is convenient open the back door and I'm there.

For the 50 metre shooting I used the horse sand arena down the front. Laying in Prone position with bi pod cable tied on and Caldwell rear bag. The Horse arena is flat and quite sheltered from the wind. Just need to make sure I don't shot the fence! Although I have already done that. The CCI quiets didn't like the Ruger and ground about 6 or 7 inches.

I'd like a shooting bench. But I've alway done my sighting in and load testing in the Prone position.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 May 2018, 11:48 am

Look up the shooting bench thread cooper...
The ones i knocked up using old lokes idea with the work bench from bunnings are amazingly sterdy & cost niks...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 13 May 2018, 4:54 pm

Stix wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:
Chinballs wrote:.

Chinballs? Any relation to Chest Nuts?

LMAO...
Younger second cousin with a positional preference...?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by Cooper » 21 May 2018, 10:56 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (762.07 KiB) Viewed 6758 times

Got some more ammo to test. Have high hopes for the Eley Contact and Eley Edge. I really like the ammo box on the Edge. Much better than the standard Eley box. But I quess you are paying for it at $17 per box (I paid $15). Though about the Eley Tenex ammo. But at closer to $30 per 50 box. I thought I'd give it a miss.

The other surprise packet could be the CCI suppressor ammo with a 45gr hollow point at $11 a box I thought it was worth a try!

Was playing on doing the testing today. But the rain doesn't look like it's going to disappear today :(
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 10 Jun 2018, 7:30 pm

Haven't been doing much shooting. Too busy at work and other stuff. But I have bought a standard 10 round magazine BX 1.
As I thought I'd try a different magazine and see if it smoothed out the feeding of some rounds. The BX 1 magazine seemed to fit perfectly and drops out easily when the magazine release is pressed. Seem to feed rounds much better than the standard BX15 magazine.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 20 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (725.84 KiB) Viewed 6650 times

Bought some Eley standard and Club to try. Got home from work just in time before it got dark. Set the target out at 63 metres. Put 5 shots of the standard on the bottom left target. Didn't expect much. Usually takes a few shots to settle down.

The I shot two 5 shot groups of the Club. The first top right target I experienced my first fail to fire with Eley ammunition. I took it out put it back in and it fired. Considering to interruption to the the group. I'm pretty pleased with it. The feathering of The Hornady splatter target probably doesn't do it justice. The small squares on the target are I/2 inch. The holes aren't that clear and considering it at 63 metres. I'll do some more testing at 50 on some plain paper target.

The standard was $73 for 500
The club $12 for 50
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 12:29 am

Unrelated...but in this thread i just again read the funniest comment i can immediately recall seeing on this forum...
Just cracks me up...!!!

Bigjobss wrote:
Chinballs wrote:

Chinballs? Any relation to Chest Nuts?

:clap: :lol: :lol:

Nothing against you chinballs... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 12:31 am

Nice shootn' Cooper...
Gotta be happy with that...!! :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 31 Jan 2019, 6:06 pm

Any more updates on this rifle.
I've put a deposit on one but starting to get cold feet regarding the accuracy
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2019, 5:30 am

Diddums wrote:Any more updates on this rifle.

How can you be worried about how it shoots when you haven't even got it yet? :lol: :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Feb 2019, 5:52 am

He read some reviews that said good stuff about it...so he put deposit. Then he read reviews from others that were so so....no idea if they were good shots or bad shooters... so now he's worried
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wooosaah » 01 Feb 2019, 8:03 am

There's been a while since the initial post testing ammo on these. What do you see as the best or top 3 ammo's now?
I have this rifle too and the LGS told me I should use high velocity in it so mostly been using CCI mini mags, have you tested with those? It's interesting that you were having success with standard and sub.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 01 Feb 2019, 8:15 am

Diddums wrote:Any more updates on this rifle.

Pretty sure Bladeracer has bought one. Keen to see how his shoots. I'm happy with mine. I haven't do much with the 22 lately. I've shot a few Indian Myna's with it. Using the the Eley subsonic Hollow point. I have bought some more ammo to test. Might try to do some testing Sunday morning before it gets too hot.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2019, 8:19 am

Ziad wrote:He read some reviews that said good stuff about it...so he put deposit. Then he read reviews from others that were so so....no idea if they were good shots or bad shooters... so now he's worried

I think people put too much weight on those written reviews or opinions, I generally hold the view that the good ones are often from people in the industry who may be in the business of selling them type thing and I also reckon a lot of negatives can be from the opposition manufacturers trying to direct more customers to their products.

The only way to really find out if somethings good or bad is to buy it, try it and see for yourself, your expectations can often be different to others, some are happy with 1" groups others need em all in the same hole and I guess at the end of the day if it's not up to your expectations you can sell them and try something else. :drinks:

And you are right what you say about whether people can or can't shoot, seen plenty of those types at ranges back in the day, they had all the fancy gear that was known to shoot and yet they had groups that resembled shotgun patterns and they often blamed the gear as it should have made them some sort of amazing shooter cos it was the "best" out there :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 01 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

wooosaah wrote:There's been a while since the initial post testing ammo on these. What do you see as the best or top 3 ammo's now?
I have this rifle too and the LGS told me I should use high velocity in it so mostly been using CCI mini mags, have you tested with those? It's interesting that you were having success with standard and sub.

My number 1 would be the Eley subsonic HP. Then SK rifle match and 3rd would be CCI standard. The CCI is the best value. I paid $479 for 5000.

Out of the high velocity I've tried the Eley High velocity HP was the best. But not as consistant as the standard velocity stuff. The cheap Highland High velocity HP were actually pretty in mine.

I've tried the CCI Mini Mags but only ran 5 or 10 rounds through. So not a real good test.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles