Lithgow vs Sako A7 vs t3

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lithgow vs Sako A7 vs t3

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 11 May 2018, 6:55 pm

Hi Fellas

I know its been discussed before but Im thinking of selling my 2 howas - 223 and 308 and getting one of the brands listed above. .
I'm leaning towards Lithgow 102 in 243 or 6.5C as a happy medium between 223 and 308.
I want a very accurate hunting rifle that has a solid action - the howas are a bit sloppy - my maxhunting range is 200m.
Keen to hear anyone's pros and cons for each,
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Lithgow vs Sako A7 vs t3

Post by marksman » 11 May 2018, 7:29 pm

keep the howas :drinks:
they are a solid action when the action is closed :thumbsup:
if your action is sloppy when opening or closing makes no difference to accuracy :thumbsdown:
if you are really keen on a really accurate rifle spend the bucks and buy one
really accurate hunting rifles are varmint rifle's
for squatting and waiting for the game to come to you then shoot that sucker in the head and put it in the freezer :drinks:
here is a couple that if I wanted a factory varmint I would have a look at
without breaking the bank
www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=123572
or
www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=125599

I don't think you would really be getting what you are after with the choices you have made to look at :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 11 May 2018, 8:16 pm

Get a Winchester Model 70 :D
Bigjobss

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2018, 8:48 pm

FYI the tikka actions are also a little loose when the bolt is open - they lock up tight though - it’s not necessarily indicative of an inaccurate rifle.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 11 May 2018, 8:52 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Get a Winchester Model 70 :D

+1 mine in .243 is a great all rounder!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 11 May 2018, 8:58 pm

I own Sakos, so I'm biased. But with the A7 you get Weaver mounts, a three-lug bolt, top loading, short action and 5-shot vs 3-shot MOA guarantee over the Tikka.

If you go the A7 Pro or Range, you also get an aluminium bedding block, medium 24.4" or varmint 26" fluted barrel, and an internal stock chassis (as part of the alloy bedding system) that's miles ahead of the Tikka plastic stock and floating lug design. Personally, I think it's a better bedding system than the Sako 85 design and worth the extra money. There aren't too many Tikka models available in 6.5CM anyway.

I don't know about the Lithgow. I've shot them, but I guess I'm just not a big fan of the stock. That's just me.

I like Howas, but they're a bit heavy.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 11 May 2018, 9:41 pm

Would you consider keeping the Howa 308 and rebarrel it in 6.5 Creed or 243 AI. The other rifles you are considering have nicer barrels than the Howa but don't offer anything significantly better in action design. The Howa design comes from Sako originally. With a Maddco or similar barrel you would have a very nice shooter. Keep the Howa 223 also, fire 5000 rounds through it and then rebarrel it in 20/223, the "Practical". You would then have two very accurate and trick rifles.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 May 2018, 12:14 am

I have a tikka t3x lite stainless in .243 which I am very happy with. I haven’t tested the grouping on it, but it shoots just fine for the shooting I do. I can recommend the tikka and the 243 as a calibre. Mind you I doubt you could go wrong with a lithgow or sako. In fact I would have thought they would both be of a higher quality than the tikka.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Mitch » 12 May 2018, 7:09 am

Id prefer the lithgow just for the aussie factor.

Otherwise A7 over the t3
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 12 May 2018, 2:30 pm

Are you going to walk around with it?
Tikka make lightweight models. The sako A7 and lithgow models aren't exactly light.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 12 May 2018, 7:52 pm

I'd keep the Howas tbh. There's not much that you can't hunt with the .223 and .308 combo. With that being said Howas are perfectly fine rifles and selling 2 rifles to settle for one sounds like an idea you'd regret following through. Why have one rifle that can kinda do what both the .308 and .223 do? then have separate rifles that excel in their own area?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 13 May 2018, 12:52 am

Got 2 lithgows my la102 is in 308 if you have and questions feel free
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 13 May 2018, 9:24 am

Thanks for the feedback fellas
I went to the lgs today and checked out sako roughtech, Lithgow, and sauer 101
For a walkaround gun I'm tending towards the sauer , apparently very accurate,light and well put together
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 13 May 2018, 3:22 pm

For a walkaround gun it would be hard to beat something this: https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=125421

The Sako 75s aren't controlled round feed like the 85s, but they have a better bedding system. If I didn't already have a .243 I'd be tempted.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Tank » 13 May 2018, 3:52 pm

Was it Jeff Cooper (of Scout Rifle conception) that suggested the .308/7.62x51 as a great choice if you could just have ‘one rifle’?
I’m not sure about something in the middle of 223 and 308 being ideal for all you would shoot with either...
Maybe something in 6.5....bullet weights from 85 to 160gr.
As for brand. Go handle them and go with what you like the ‘feel’ of best.
Sounds like that Sauer is it.....pull you wallet and let fly.
Good luck and come back with how you get on.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 May 2018, 8:12 pm

What did you end up deciding to do?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 May 2018, 7:03 am

I have a Tikka T3x in .223 and to be honest it is my favourite rifle. It shoots under half inch at 100m with handloads and for me has a smooth action and great trigger straight out of the box. I would definitely not hesitate in buying another T3 if I had the need.
In saying that I have just purchased a Lithgow LA102 in 6.5CM to fit between my .223 and .308, just as you are thinking of doing. I love the Tikka and Lithgow however I have no experience with either Howa or Sako so can’t compare. Just my 2 bobs worth.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 23 May 2018, 7:04 pm

[quoteWhat did you end up deciding to do?][/quote]

Still weighing my options! Google is a bast%$#@d - I'm reading reviews of all guns and each have their pros and cons. I went out to the range on the weekend with my Howa mini action223 with Boyds stock and reloads and shot a half inch five shot group straight up. Sakos and Tikkas etc can't beat that as far as I can see, So now I'm wondering if the extra money is worth it. I like new shiny things as much as the next guy but seriously! Get another Howa in 6.5CM? They do a 26" barrel with nice full alloy bedded B and C stock for under a grand

However I do require (not need or want :) a goldilocks rifle 260/243/6.5/25.06 etc. Seen new old stock T3 CTR SS in 243 online - me likey! Also the Sauer cerakote 100 @ $1100ish - very nice - and light

Saw a L102 Lithgow on Used Guns but the cerakote looked to be wearing off on the the action around where the bolt lifts up. What 's quality control like there? Any long term owners here able to assess theirs?

Cheers all and thanks for the input.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 May 2018, 7:32 pm

My vote is still to rebarrel the 308 but I guess by the time you have a match grade barrel chambered and fitted you are most of the way to that CTR in 243 and you would not regret buying a Tikka. I think I need another one.
Let us know what you end up doing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 24 May 2018, 7:47 pm

Web having the same idea except with a Kimber 84M Hunter thrown into the mix, has anyone got one or handled/fired one?
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 May 2018, 10:35 pm

Mate I have held one as I was seriously considering it. Was extremely light, trigger felt great however I never fired it though.
Here is the review I watched on it a while back.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1gfv5jPztBc
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 7:32 am

SCJ429 wrote:My vote is still to rebarrel the 308 but I guess by the time you have a match grade barrel chambered and fitted you are most of the way to that CTR in 243...

I dunno about that.
I bought a Truflite match grade barrel for about $500 and cost about $450 to have it chamdered and fit and my action trued up a touch. Crap load cheaper than a CTR.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 7:55 am

The 243 T3 he was talking about was the runout model which are selling for around $1200. A Maddco, Benchmark or Hardy barrel from my gunsmith cost around $660, with chambering and fitting you are up for around a grand. Most of the way to that 243 CTR run out model. I would get to know my local gunsmith and rebarrel the Howa, pretty good little action to customise.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 8:09 am

Ok. Didn't realise it was a runnout...

Just order a barrel from Truflite next time. Pay them and get them to send it to gunsmith. Great barrels and great price.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 7:27 pm

Thanks Gwion, the gunsmith here Russel is awesome and does fantastic work. I just give him a pile of crap and it comes back transformed. Happy to pay him to make all the phone calls, organise postage and get the spec right. Knowing me I would end up with the wrong profile, twist rate or caliber.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 25 May 2018, 7:28 pm

Not the best accuracy in that review JimTom, seen 2 other reviews on same rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and .308 and they shot like champions. There are some in .243 floating around for $995, pretty attractive at that price
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 7:59 pm

I would be happy to put my Tikka in 243 up against any other Tikka in 6.5 or 308 out to 300 metres. Very underrated caliber with heaps going for it. What type of Tikka was the ones going for $995?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 25 May 2018, 10:23 pm

Nah it was the Kimber Hunter in .243 for $995
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles