Range Day load out.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Range Day load out.

Post by Supaduke » 14 May 2018, 12:25 am

So I have managed a few days leave and got myself an extra long weekend.
Missus is working tomorrow and the kids are at childcare/school. I have a very rare day at home to myself.

The possibilities are (almost) endless.
Golf?
Motorcycle ride?
Jobs around the house?
Shooting?
Hunting?

I then remember my main hunting rifle does not have a great zero or accuracy at the moment, really needs a range day to try and sort it out.

Few Milsurps need some load development too. And I need to pop my cherry on the new K31 acquisition. A range day it is.

Taking the cover all hunting trio.
20180513_234708-1512x428.jpg
Trio
20180513_234708-1512x428.jpg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

From left, Howa .308, Howa .223 , Lithgow .22

And some old fellas.
20180513_233959-1512x510.jpg
Milsurps
20180513_233959-1512x510.jpg (209.54 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

20180513_234246-925x1234.jpg
Milsurps 2
20180513_234246-925x1234.jpg (296.19 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

20180513_234148-1512x403.jpg
Milsurps 3
20180513_234148-1512x403.jpg (185.35 KiB) Viewed 2963 times

Three standard issue British pattern rifles, none actually built in Britain. And a World War 2 fence sitter that never fired a shot in anger.

Savage No.4 mk1*, with a singer adjustable peep sight I managed to acquire.
A World War 2 era Lithgow.
A swiss K31 from the last years of issue in the mid 50's
And a 1916 P14 Eddystone.

Taking plenty of ammo, got all day. Weather looks like it will be sunny and not too windy.
20180514_002914-1512x1512.jpg
Ammo
20180514_002914-1512x1512.jpg (556.64 KiB) Viewed 2960 times

Sucks to have to spend my Monday doing some range time, but someone's gotta do it.

Not rubbing it in your faces, just a rare event for me lately and I'm pretty pumped.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Range Day load out.

Post by darwindingo » 14 May 2018, 1:12 am

Supaduke wrote:
Not rubbing it in your faces

Oh no not at all :allegedly: :lol:

Have fun mate :mrgreen:

Anyhoo you will have to excuse me, I need some private time after looking at the pics... ;) :D

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 May 2018, 8:07 am

You will need a lot of yellow flags..... have fun though.

I been wanting to gotto range but got to much work last couple of weeks... but if I be a good little worker this week, I think my boss will let me have next Monday off... and pay for my ammo... and even drive me there... I am a good boss :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 May 2018, 9:03 am

Exciting, Supaduke! Love those days when you got all your stuff organised and ready to go, and just blast away.

Just remember, all of them will need to be clean :) Not rubbing it in your faces, just... Well, yeah, LOL
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 14 May 2018, 5:55 pm

Good day for a ride if you've got a SDR though....
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 May 2018, 7:37 pm

Was a good day out. Weather was great, got some good data for load development and overall had a fun day.

Two blokes next to me shooting a Remy .300 Win Mag, flinching and fully closing their eyes on every shot, couldn't hit a bull in the bum. Blasting several hundred rounds at only 50m and just getting nowhere. After persevering with the muzzle blast and constant excuses, "It's the gun, it's the ammo", I had to ask "you guys been shooting long?"

"First time" they said.

"Wow, .300 Win mag, brave choice for a first rifle" I offered.

The owner instantly got a bit defensive as we entered into our passive aggressive conversation.

"Different calibres for different people, bit like wives , we all have different needs" he said.

"Very true" says I, "pretty expensive way to put holes in the dirt (I couldn't help myself) , I like 300 Win Mag, quite the event when shooting one."

He then went on to tell me how it was the standard issue American Sniper round (eye roll) and how he doesn't want any of his game getting back up (eye roll full 360).

I debated talking about the importance of shot placement but held my tongue.

His offsider then asked to use my lighter and we talked about some of the old milsurps I was shooting and how he was amazed I could hit a gong at 200m with open sights.

I explained he was developing a pretty full on flinch and maybe he would like to try something a little lighter and learn a few fundamentals.

So he put some rounds through my .22 and .223 and did well. I could tell right away he enjoyed it far more than the WM and built up some confidence instantly.

Old mate who owned the WM looked on.
"You want a shot mate?" I offered.
" Yeah cool " he said.
I lined him up with 5 handloads for the .223, which was dialed in and shooting like a laser.
" Just line up the crosshairs with the middle of the (200m) gong and that's where it will go" I said. This was just after his rookie mate had nailed 5 from 5 on the gong.

Old mate lines up, fidgets, lines up again, adjusts grip, fidgets...long .....long pause.
Squeezes one off .......
And promptly shoots the leg off my target stand. Ah well.
" Might need to work on your technique a bit there mate"

The moral of the story, you can have too much gun, and having a bigger calibre will not compensate for being a terrible shot.

By this point a few bystanders has gathered round for a chit chat. There was that silent aknowledgement as we all looked at each other as my target stand toppled over like a lame horse.

I had to laugh, I always do my best to encourage and help new shooters. But it was text book try hard.

Nothing unmanly or wussy about learning the fundamentals on a smaller calibre gentleman.

Anyway, was a good day.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 14 May 2018, 7:56 pm

Well done on your tolerance
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 14 May 2018, 7:57 pm

Supaduke wrote:Was a good day out. Weather was great, got some good data for load development and overall had a fun day.

Two blokes next to me shooting a Remy .300 Win Mag, flinching and fully closing their eyes on every shot, couldn't hit a bull in the bum. Blasting several hundred rounds at only 50m and just getting nowhere. After persevering with the muzzle blast and constant excuses, "It's the gun, it's the ammo", I had to ask "you guys been shooting long?"

"First time" they said.

"Wow, .300 Win mag, brave choice for a first rifle" I offered.

The owner instantly got a bit defensive as we entered into our passive aggressive conversation.

"Different calibres for different people, bit like wives , we all have different needs" he said.

"Very true" says I, "pretty expensive way to put holes in the dirt (I couldn't help myself) , I like 300 Win Mag, quite the event when shooting one."

He then went on to tell me how it was the standard issue American Sniper round (eye roll) and how he doesn't want any of his game getting back up (eye roll full 360).

I debated talking about the importance of shot placement but held my tongue.

His offsider then asked to use my lighter and we talked about some of the old milsurps I was shooting and how he was amazed I could hit a gong at 200m with open sights.

I explained he was developing a pretty full on flinch and maybe he would like to try something a little lighter and learn a few fundamentals.

So he put some rounds through my .22 and .223 and did well. I could tell right away he enjoyed it far more than the WM and built up some confidence instantly.

Old mate who owned the WM looked on.
"You want a shot mate?" I offered.
" Yeah cool " he said.
I lined him up with 5 handloads for the .223, which was dialed in and shooting like a laser.
" Just line up the crosshairs with the middle of the (200m) gong and that's where it will go" I said. This was just after his rookie mate had nailed 5 from 5 on the gong.

Old mate lines up, fidgets, lines up again, adjusts grip, fidgets...long .....long pause.
Squeezes one off .......
And promptly shoots the leg off my target stand. Ah well.
" Might need to work on your technique a bit there mate"

The moral of the story, you can have too much gun, and having a bigger calibre will not compensate for being a terrible shot.

By this point a few bystanders has gathered round for a chit chat. There was that silent aknowledgement as we all looked at each other as my target stand toppled over like a lame horse.

I had to laugh, I always do my best to encourage and help new shooters. But it was text book try hard.

Nothing unmanly or wussy about learning the fundamentals on a smaller calibre gentleman.

Anyway, was a good day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 May 2018, 8:44 pm

Now Supa... thats a cracker of a tale...!!!

And i dont know if you'll believe this Supa, but ive spent some time on a bench next to that guys brother here in SA...!!

AND, im sure it was his self-confessed expert 300wm long range guru cousin that works in the firearms industry who INSISTS that my 22-250 uses necked down .308 cases...!!! :unknown:

Love it...rippa of a read... :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :lol:

Go again tomorrow please...! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 May 2018, 9:19 pm

Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 May 2018, 9:51 am

Yep follow through is so important. Blinking is nearly unstoppable at first but the length of time after can be increased and then stopped with enough practice. I have had a few issues with a gun giving light strikes and misfires but boy it helped my shooting. Also just practicing with the 22 just cant be over emphasized this really is the gun to stop your blink and flinch.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles