“Normal” wait times for a rifle to arrive?!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

“Normal” wait times for a rifle to arrive?!

Post by Joffa » 15 May 2018, 12:06 pm

So I ordered my left handed Lithgow .22 crossover, just on 2 months ago now and there is apprently still no sign of when it might show up.
I emailed Lithgow directly and asked them if they had any left handed models on the way and they said they believe they are getting shipped this month (1st May) and offered nothing else.

I get it, there’s f all left handers and even less that shoot. But seriously there’s 70 odd on back order with the wholesale distributor and the lack of communication is a bit annoying.
I’m considering cancelling my order and putting the money towards another rifle, especially seeming my PTA is dwindling away and there’s no extensions for them in Tassie.

But do people often go through wait times like this? And is this lack of communication and access to information normal?
Surely the entire supply line needs a good kick into gear if this is “Normal” I know this wouldn’t float in my industry.
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: “Normal” wait times for a rifle to arrive?!

Post by Stix » 15 May 2018, 12:19 pm

Id get a different rifle if you're getting the run around...!
I say that because i had a similar issue (with a different brand) 18 months ago.
I let them get away with it & i finally received a shootable rifle 12 months later...cost me 2 pta's & rego's too.

Dont put up with it i say...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 15 May 2018, 12:35 pm

Yeh i had to wait 2 months for my shotgun, gunshop was very good and offered full refund of my deposit, as they new it was annoying me. I held of and it arrived.
Now i'm waiting for a scope and suppose to be 2 weeks, now its looking like a month, so 2 weeks to go, really wanted it for this weekend to be honest.
I just with they would have more stock of things, but feels like they only want to sock one or two rifles and expect you to just order it.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 15 May 2018, 1:00 pm

I'm waiting 8 months for a .500 mag so 2 months isn't to bad lol

Call around different shops i got told i'd never get a la101 for at least a year in one shop, called another a walked away with one that day
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by TheDude » 15 May 2018, 1:12 pm

I waited 2 years but that was for a WFA-1.

Have also waited 2 months for most of the other rifles I’ve bought that the stores didn’t have in stock. That unfortunately seems to be the norm.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2018, 1:34 pm

I originally ordered a Lithgow lefty 22 for the boy but gave up after 4 months and purchased a Savage which was substantially cheaper. I used the savings to purchase a decent scope and rings and still came out in front $ wise. The Savage shoots 5 leaf clovers @ 50m and I doubt the Lithgow would do much better.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 15 May 2018, 2:14 pm

I got my left handed la101 after a 10 week wait- the LGS certainly kept me in the loop but I believe that they were getting frustrated by OSA (who in turn may well have been frustrated by Lithgow- i dont know which was the problem)When i looked like my PTA was going to elapse the LGS actually offered to pay for a new one but luckily it wasnt needed. Not sure how true this is but what i was told is that Lithgow need 2 days to change tooling over for lefties and then make 40 rifles per day- knowing what I know about logistics sounds like a 10 day run is worth retooling for- but overall got to agree lack of communication was very frustrating. Having just got back into shooting it does seem that the firearms industry here spends lots of time advertising stuff it doesnt have stock of- a bit of a sin in this day and age of internet retailing in my eyes.Trouble is of course is that we cant simply order from the 'net if our local retailer gives us the poops.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 15 May 2018, 2:14 pm

I waited from august last year till may this year for a rifle, but that was my dream rifle. If you are unhappy let your money do the talking
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 May 2018, 7:18 pm

Sounds like you bought it from the local gun shop here.
You left handed heathen always have to wait longer, pay more and then get worse resale at the other end. You should have a safe full of Ruger #1.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 May 2018, 7:21 pm

I agree paddy.... seems like some lgs are ok others are just horrible. I went to a shop ordered a scope they even called the distro to confirm they had in stock. So get told should be there in a 3 to 5 days. Next week called them no news. Then called then the week after still no news. The week after still no news.
So I looked up online place. They were very helpful and I had the scope in less than 48hrs. The original shop called me 2 weeks after that they had gotten it. What's funny the distributor is in Same city.

Then last Friday called another shop. Ok they don't have in stock but can order in Express will be there by Monday morning. Got told a price... all good except Monday no call. So I called them they said nope not there yet but will call me when they get it. No worries. Called them today hassled them enough.... so some guy (good on him) investigated and called me at the end of the day apparently it hasn't even been ordered.

Do have a shop that I get stuff from... they are very good and helpful.. so all big stuff I get from them.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 16 May 2018, 11:12 am

SCJ429 wrote:Sounds like you bought it from the local gun shop here.
You left handed heathen always have to wait longer, pay more and then get worse resale at the other end. You should have a safe full of Ruger #1.

Its very hard to be part of a beaten down minority : :violin: : However it is highly amusing to watch a right hander shoot one of my rifles, or even getting the all clear from the range officer :lol: I know =small things amuse small minds but there has to be some compensation for my disabilty
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 22 May 2018, 8:08 am

I'm now waiting on a CZ 455 Varmint Synthetic. Rang the store yesterday & was told there were 30-odd on back order! So i could be up for a wait of anything up to 6mths. Well fair enough, I'm in no hurry to get it plus when it does come in I get it for the price I paid for it yesterday. Got caught once before on a rifle I put on order, paid in full, then waited for 5mths only to be told there was an extra $85 due to a price increase! WTF! A rather pointed phone call later sorted things with no added cost.

Confirmed with this mob that wouldn't be an issue.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Justin9mm » 23 May 2018, 4:20 pm

Got told 3 months waiting for my HK Pistol, ended up being like 10 months for that shipment from HK. I'm glad I have that pistol but I really had enough of the BS after 6-7 months and wasn't going to give up on it. But now in hindsight, if I had my time again, I wouldn't do that and would cut my losses and purchase something else that was actually on the shelf.

In saying that, I'm waiting for my Ruger Precision Rimfire to come in lol
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles