My new dilemma, help needed.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

My new dilemma, help needed.

Post by Diddums » 21 May 2018, 1:17 pm

After anxiously waiting for a couple of weeks for my Ruger American Predator .308 to come in I get a phone call this morning saying that the one that i have ordered has been discontinued so it will not be coming in at all.
So not wanting to wait for something else to be ordered in i'm going to buy something off the shelf and i'm looking at a Tikka T3 Hunter in 7mm-08, Steyr Prohunter in 300WM or a Tikka T3 Lite in 338WM.

I had my mind set on a 308 since you can load it from 110gn to 208gn projectiles which covers all bases of what i plan on shooting but now that is off the table.
I like the Tikka Hunter but i'm planning on buying a Marlin 336 30-30 and that's a little bit too similar to the 7mm-08 (i know the 7mm is a much faster projectile).
The thought of a 338 is cool but i can see it spending a lot of time in the safe which i don't want.

This leaves me with the Steyr Prohunter in 300WM, does anyone have one or experience with one?
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: My new dilemma, help needed.

Post by AusTac » 21 May 2018, 1:26 pm

I've got a lithgow .308 and am absolutely frothing for a .300wm i want less drop out at distance, they do pack a punch though if recoil is a consideration
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sungazer » 21 May 2018, 1:28 pm

The Tikka Lite 338WM are just not really two parts that go together. it would cost a LOT to load for and not a rifle to shoot a lot. 338WM is just way more than for general purpose use. You really want to have a special application and a real passion for that to keep you shooting that gun. So different from a General purpose, multi purpose 308. I would take some time and have another look at your options.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 1:28 pm

7mm-08 for me, unless you're after Sambhar, then .300WinMag. You can always load the mag back to .308 levels.

7mm gives you 100gn to over 200gn options if you have the twist rate for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 May 2018, 1:34 pm

look at the 270 wsm or the 300 wsm as the action lengths for 300wm are long action and not long enough to seat projectiles out where they should be seated
the 270 wsm is all you need with 130-150gr bullets
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 21 May 2018, 1:37 pm

I have a 3 Tikka hunters 223 (300 wsm and 30-06 Safe queens ) and a marlin 336 and Im looking for a Tikka 308 ( I have a Sako in 308) but I don,t like taking it in the scrub,
you don,t say if your reloading for any calibers research that before you buy against the cost of Ammunition
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 21 May 2018, 1:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:7mm-08 for me, unless you're after Sambhar, then .300WinMag. You can always load the mag back to .308 levels.

7mm gives you 100gn to over 200gn options if you have the twist rate for it.

I'm planning on going deer hunting with my uncle and he recommends that i get the 300WM. And i also though about loading it back to .308 levels as i was planning on loading the .308 with 110gn pills anyway for general use.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 21 May 2018, 2:00 pm

pomemax wrote:you don,t say if your reloading for any calibers research that before you buy against the cost of Ammunition

I will be loading all my own rounds so the cost of ammo isn't a massive factor.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 21 May 2018, 3:33 pm

I have spoken to a few people with experiences that make me think a T3 lite and 30 cal magnums dont go well together, way too much recoil.
If you are handloading then 300wm would be my choice, i use mine for sambar, red and fallow and never feel over or undergunned with correct projectile choice.
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 21 May 2018, 5:56 pm

I have owned several 300wm's and rate them up there except for the bruising and meat waste but
you would be better off with a 308 tikka than the 300wm tikka as you will never get the full benefit of the win mag because your projectile will always have to be loaded short because of the mag/action length of the rifle
IMO if you truly want a 300wm that will shoot at its best get a magnum action so you can seat the projectiles where they should be
this article may help you understand what I am talking about :wtf:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-content ... 3/COAL.pdf

or you get a 300 win short mag and don't have the problem but the same ballistics with good long range projectiles that you cannot use in a tikka 300wm

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=126370

unless you just want the magnum loud bang factor :sarcasm: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by albat » 21 May 2018, 6:00 pm

take breather and order in what you originally decided on a 308. you will only regret it if you jump in on a whim i love my tikka t3x lite in 308 cant go wrong with a 308 never undergunned with one in oz.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 May 2018, 6:58 pm

What are you planning on using it for?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Archie » 21 May 2018, 6:59 pm

With the proviso that I have never owned a Steyr, most of what I have heard leans me toward the Tikka for using in the field on reliability grounds. But that's all second hand.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 May 2018, 8:30 pm

For what its worth, i have a Tikka lite, or Ultra lite in 7-08 that shoots well with/seems to really like hot loads, right up the top end & above ADI data...but i load it down the bottom end because loaded hot & being so light, it bucks like yr missus would if you started yelling out another chicks name while you're doin the bizinus of bumpin uglies...!! :shock: :wtf:

Call me a recoil woos if you like, but hell i wouldnt want to be load testing a 300wm in one of them...!!
Even with mild loads & a 120 bullet i have to shoot off a soft rest like bag or pack--shoot off a rock from prone & the rifle gets very upset..

Id go 7-08, it'll do all you want to do & you'll love the round.
Im so happy i went the '7' instead of the '3' in the '08' case.
But then ive never owned a 30 cal magnum. :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 21 May 2018, 8:54 pm

Why waste your time getting a 338 and loading it down to 308; just get a 308 or better still, get a 30-06
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 9:19 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Why waste your time getting a 338 and loading it down to 308; just get a 308 or better still, get a 30-06

How would that be a waste of time? You could shoot it as a .308 99% of the time but still have the magnum power when required, without having to own or carry two rifles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2018, 9:56 pm

albat wrote:take breather and order in what you originally decided on a 308. you will only regret it if you jump in on a whim i love my tikka t3x lite in 308 cant go wrong with a 308 never undergunned with one in oz.

+1. Get a t3 in 308,,,,,, or a 30-06
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 May 2018, 10:13 pm

I am with Marksman, the 300WSM can use cheap 150 grain projectiles and you can load them mild but when you want to shoot 220s it can sling them with authority. I would get the Varmint barrel, very nice barrel for not much more than a light. Even in a 308 the Varmint is much nicer to shoot.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 22 May 2018, 7:51 am

Thanks for the input guys.

At my local they have a lot of 223's and 243's on the shelf but not a massive amount of bigger calibers.
I have been waiting weeks already for a gun to come in that was never going to arrive thanks to the supplier and I have a trip away this weekend so I'm going to buy something off the shelf which isn't going to break the bank.

They do have a Remington 700 package there for a little more than what the Steyr will cost me but I'm a little wary of Remington's as my mate has one and has had a fair bit of trouble with it.

I going in this morning to make my decision, I'll let you know what I pick up.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 May 2018, 7:53 am

I have a medium profile barrel tikka 308 - I regularly plink 30/30 cast pills over Trail boss (for silhouette practice) through it out to 100m. It costs me somewhere in the vicinity of 20c/shot for consistent, long shot strings 2moa accuracy. Then for full scale silhouette (or if I'm feeling masochistic), 150gr jacketed pills out to 385m, and 178gn ELD/amax out to the 500m rams. This load still has 1000ft/lbs at 500m! 1000ft/lbs! And of course the fancier pills can be made to shoot hairs off fleas back, that's a given.

Hunting applications, I just use the 150gr load (which I have a custom-made CDC turret to match) - fist size hole on every big critter I've ever shot, and I'd be confident taking a shot out to 400m (if the opportunity ever presented itself, which it hasn't, and probably won't).

Now tell me, is that not "enough gun"? Forget the 338 I say. :drinks:
Last edited by in2anity on 22 May 2018, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2018, 8:11 am

Diddums wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

At my local they have a lot of 223's and 243's on the shelf but not a massive amount of bigger calibers.
I have been waiting weeks already for a gun to come in that was never going to arrive thanks to the supplier and I have a trip away this weekend so I'm going to buy something off the shelf which isn't going to break the bank.

They do have a Remington 700 package there for a little more than what the Steyr will cost me but I'm a little wary of Remington's as my mate has one and has had a fair bit of trouble with it.

I going in this morning to make my decision, I'll let you know what I pick up.

Surely they can order you something that is in stock?
I've only bought two rifles because the dealer had them on the shelf rather than have to order the two I wanted. It was a mistake I won't make again. If you've done your research and decided which rifle you want, I recommend getting that rifle. Even buying it secondhand via Usedguns is probably a better idea than buying something you don't want just because your dealer has it.

As for your trip away, you can't borrow a suitable rifle from a mate?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 May 2018, 8:33 am

I am surprised the Steyr is cheaper than a Remington. I looked at one in a Gs and it was very well made and out of Germany from Machiliner a few to many safety features I thought but it looked like a shooter. I would choose the 243 everyday over a 223.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Diddums » 22 May 2018, 1:21 pm

I walked into the shop this morning to survey my choices and decided to have a look at the remington package on the wall, as soon as i picked it up i liked it.
Its a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308, came with a Bushnell Trophy extreme scope and free bag.
I'm hoping to go shoot it this afternoon and ill post up some pics.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 May 2018, 3:21 pm

Diddums wrote:I walked into the shop this morning to survey my choices and decided to have a look at the remington package on the wall, as soon as i picked it up i liked it.
Its a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308, came with a Bushnell Trophy extreme scope and free bag.
I'm hoping to go shoot it this afternoon and ill post up some pics.

There's a good amount of meat on the barrels of those things
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 22 May 2018, 5:08 pm

I don't understand why you still wouldn't go with a .308? even if the ruger is discontinued I'd personally settle on a firearm that fits you well and get it in .308. The amount of options available for reloading .308 is insane and would offer great versatility.

Edit: Never mind, I just read your last post and it looks like you went with a .308 anyway. :thumbsup:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 May 2018, 5:16 pm

I think you got the right gun a 308 is just so versatile and I see it is a 1:10 twist so you can use any projectile you want. Dont be tempted to go the really heavy projectiles though its not needed and would probably work as well as some of the lighter projectiles in a 20 inch barrel. with the Remington there are so many different stock options as well if you want to go aftermarket.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 22 May 2018, 6:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Why waste your time getting a 338 and loading it down to 308; just get a 308 or better still, get a 30-06

How would that be a waste of time? You could shoot it as a .308 99% of the time but still have the magnum power when required, without having to own or carry two rifles.

If, as you say shoot it 99% of the time as a 308; get a 308 and 1% as magnum power, simply stalk closer. :crazy:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Diddums » 22 May 2018, 7:16 pm

I managed to catch the last hour or so of sunlight this afternoon to get out for a shot.
I had 2 boxes of Remington 150g rounds to go play with and I shot 35 of them.

Took me 3 rounds to get on paper as the bore sight done at the shop wasn't the best, but when I got it dialed in I was able to shoot 2 groups at about an inch.

I'm looking forward to developing some loads for it, I plan on working out a 110gn load and a 150gn.

The only gripe I have is the comb is a bit too low, but I seem to have that issue with every rifle I shoulder.
It's not as low as mi Tikka and it is shootable but it could be 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher.

Pics still to come.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 7:36 am

Diddums wrote:I managed to catch the last hour or so of sunlight this afternoon to get out for a shot.
I had 2 boxes of Remington 150g rounds to go play with and I shot 35 of them.

Took me 3 rounds to get on paper as the bore sight done at the shop wasn't the best, but when I got it dialed in I was able to shoot 2 groups at about an inch.

I'm looking forward to developing some loads for it, I plan on working out a 110gn load and a 150gn.

The only gripe I have is the comb is a bit too low, but I seem to have that issue with every rifle I shoulder.
It's not as low as mi Tikka and it is shootable but it could be 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher.

Pics still to come.

Cut a piece of high-density foam rubber to fit. Double-sided tape should suffice to secure it.
I find it easier to glue thin sections together over the curve as it holds the shape better than curving one thick piece over the comb. Then trim to final shape.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 10:10 am

Is the gun new? If so take the time to run it in clean it well after a few shots and then make sure it is really dry and clear of all cleaning solution before you fire it. Keeping the barrel clean is your best friend.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles