Polymer or Timber stock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Polymer or Timber stock

Post by Mada » 22 May 2018, 7:40 pm

As a beginner to this sport and my search for a new rifle narrows, another question is what is better? A Polymer or Timber stock?.
Mada
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Polymer or Timber stock

Post by SCJ429 » 22 May 2018, 8:03 pm

Whatever is on your rifle can be made to work. Timber feels better and wins on looks. If you have a Tupperware stocked Tikka, just shoot it and enjoy the accuracy. It doesn't have to look good to shoot well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 22 May 2018, 8:08 pm

What rifles and calibers are you considering?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 22 May 2018, 8:35 pm

What's the intended target? For hunting you'd be looking at something light and durable such as polymer. If a mix of hunting / target then timber or for pure target then a chassis rifle is hard to pass up. They all have their places and will depend on what fits you the best.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 22 May 2018, 8:36 pm

I like nice timber myself and for more than feel or the look but each to there own its what you like that counts :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 May 2018, 9:41 pm

Wood changes over time, by looks beautiful. Polys can be good, but it depends on the rigidity, for example the tikkas or Lithgows are very hard, where that factory hogue stock probably has a bit too much flex in it if your chasing pinpoint accuracy.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 May 2018, 7:07 am

Personally being a bit of a traditionalist I prefer the look of the timber however all of my rifles are polymer stocks. I just use them in the bush so I think they can take a little more punishment than timber and in all honesty they do look alright.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 May 2018, 7:21 am

marksman wrote:I like nice timber myself and for more than feel or the look but each to there own its what you like that counts :thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 23 May 2018, 7:44 am

I love to look at and play with my wood. ;)

I also have a chassis rifle for target and hunting.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 7:47 am

Poly for me for any rifle I'm taking Bush, or for consistent precision. Aluminium is more rigid and supports the action better, but can be heavier than poly. Wood is great for appearance, but is heavy, absorbent, changes shape randomly according to environmental conditions, and is restricted by its grain in how it can be shaped. Laminated plywood addresses most of these drawbacks, but looks and feels like polymer anyway.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 May 2018, 7:55 am

Yipikaye wrote:I love to look at and play with my wood. ;)

I also have a chassis rifle for target and hunting.

:lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mada » 23 May 2018, 7:58 am

22LR for a k X of hunting and target shooting.
Mada
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 23 May 2018, 8:15 am

bladeracer wrote:Poly for me for any rifle I'm taking Bush, or for consistent precision. Aluminium is more rigid and supports the action better, but can be heavier than poly. Wood is great for appearance, but is heavy, absorbent, changes shape randomly according to environmental conditions, and is restricted by its grain in how it can be shaped. Laminated plywood addresses most of these drawbacks, but looks and feels like polymer anyway.

Laminated bamboo addresses all those drawbacks, including looking and feeling like timber.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 8:37 am

trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Poly for me for any rifle I'm taking Bush, or for consistent precision. Aluminium is more rigid and supports the action better, but can be heavier than poly. Wood is great for appearance, but is heavy, absorbent, changes shape randomly according to environmental conditions, and is restricted by its grain in how it can be shaped. Laminated plywood addresses most of these drawbacks, but looks and feels like polymer anyway.

Laminated bamboo addresses all those drawbacks, including looking and feeling like timber.

Who offers lami-bamboo?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 23 May 2018, 8:47 am

Mada wrote:22LR for a k X of hunting and target shooting.

Wood. I was going to go with "depends what you are doing with it" but in this case, get it in wood. My rifles are mostly synthetic, some wood and I have a laminate varmint rifle, weighs a ton but its a varmint so the bullet does the walking. So I don't have much of a personal preference and normally just buy what works best for the intended purpose.

But, a good 22lr will last you the rest of your life and probably your kid's life. When you pick it up in 30 years time and it's loaded with memories, it'll feel better if its wood not plastic. Worry about polymer or wood for the second rifle, not the first.

EDIT: Just realised I assumed it was your first rifle as you said beginner but of course that may be incorrect. Also clearly I am getting sentimental, must be getting old.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 23 May 2018, 9:04 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:

Who offers lami-bamboo?

Signiture line give you a hint at all?
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 9:23 am

trekin wrote:Laminated bamboo addresses all those drawbacks, including looking and feeling like timber.

Who offers lami-bamboo?[/quote]

Signiture line give you a hint at all?[/quote]

Nope. Is there supposed to be readable text in that picture?
A link to a website perhaps?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 23 May 2018, 10:29 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Laminated bamboo addresses all those drawbacks, including looking and feeling like timber.

Who offers lami-bamboo?

Signiture line give you a hint at all?[/quote]

A link to a website perhaps?[/quote]
Attachments
sig.JPG
https://www.facebook.com/TactiKool-Stocks-1452433038337462/
sig.JPG (17.76 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 11:25 am

trekin wrote:Signiture line give you a hint at all?

A link to a website perhaps?[/quote][/quote]

I'll have a look, but you really need a readable sig.
I read a giant R printed to obscure an unreadable word in red printed behind it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 12:54 pm

trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Who offers lami-bamboo?

A link to a website perhaps?[/quote][/quote]

I had a look at your FB page, but it looks like they're completely custom hand-made only?
Doesn't that make them somewhat non-viable in the market for the average hunting rifle?
What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 1:54 pm

Dont worry mate I was able to read it when I looked. Must admit the first time I just thought it was a flag but on closer inspection I googled and found your site.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Justin9mm » 23 May 2018, 4:13 pm

Does anyone know what would be a good looking chassis/stock for a Stainless Steel Barrel/Action?

I recently bought a new Howa 1500 .223 Stainless Steel heavy barrel and came with the cheap standard rubberised black stock. My intention was to upgrade this stock. I think Timber looks good with the Stainless and the black rubber looks good with it but I'm not sold on a Black Tactical style Chassis like the APC, I can't picture what it would look like and might look a little odd and can't find any pics on the net with that combination.

I want something that looks really nice but no idea which way I want to go..

EDIT: This is a 70%-80% Target rifle.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 23 May 2018, 6:17 pm

MDT chassis in FDE looks good with a stainless barrel...to me.

I'm surprised people mention tikka polymer stocks as quality. They are purpose built to be lightweight. But feel as solid as an icecream container.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Townsville shooter » 23 May 2018, 7:41 pm

MontyShooter wrote:MDT chassis in FDE looks good with a stainless barrel...to me.

I'm surprised people mention tikka polymer stocks as quality. They are purpose built to be lightweight. But feel as solid as an icecream container.

My T3X Super Varmint feels pretty solid. Shoots exactly how I expect too.
Townsville shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 May 2018, 7:49 pm

Monty, I hate the look and feel of the Tikka Tupperware stock but it works great, a can of FDE paint made it look less like a murder weapon.
Justin, you can get some stock stabilising goop from Nathan Foster to strengthen that rubber Hogue stock, after that they are pretty good to go hunting with. If you want to spend more money the GRS stocks are excellent if a little slippery, you will need to bed your action. For target only you could get a Manners Tracker.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 24 May 2018, 6:28 am

The synthetic varmint stock on my Tikka T3 Hunter is great; feels solid, and weatherproof. Seems to be pretty durable.

I bought a Boyds polymer Thumbhole stock for the T3(before a mate gave me his Tikka varmint stock), and I had all sorts of bedding issues with it. It felt pretty good to handle, but the rifle didnt seem to like it.
[With a bit of time, I might have been able to bed this stock in properly, and get better groups from it, but I was given the Tikka Varmint stock, so canned that idea]

I bought a polymer stock a few years back, to go onto the old Remington 788 .223 rifle. Damn thing broke in half after about 6 months!

I like the look and feel of wood, but I must admit that my preference for working rifles, is a good polymer stock.

Have you handled a Macmillan polymer stock? Heavy as buggery, but beautiful stocks, and denser than any wood. Expensive as all get-out, but people who have them love them.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 24 May 2018, 6:46 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Who offers lami-bamboo?

[/quote]

I had a look at your FB page, but it looks like they're completely custom hand-made only?
Doesn't that make them somewhat non-viable in the market for the average hunting rifle?
What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?[/quote]
Well, I can assure you that they are not all "completely custom hand-made only". Pm me with what you want done, so as not to hijack this thread. I think that you will be pleasantly surpised with the price.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 May 2018, 6:52 pm

Great looking stocks, do Tactikool stocks come inletted for a drop in fit?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 8:00 am

in2anity wrote:Wood changes over time, by looks beautiful. Polys can be good, but it depends on the rigidity, for example the tikkas or Lithgows are very hard, where that factory hogue stock probably has a bit too much flex in it if your chasing pinpoint accuracy.

Yep. Oils ain't oils and polymers ain't polymers.

Each manufacturer will choose a polymer bases on it's own priorities (some performance, some ecconomics and some varying mix if thed two).

As Brett and others have mentioned: use will govern best choice.

If you go synthetc, choose something rigid. Composites will be stiffer than most polymers. You can always buy an aftermarket stock as well.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 8:06 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Who offers lami-bamboo?

[/quote]

What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?[/quote]

Trekin can reproduce your factory stock (or other) in bamboo at a very good price, mate.

Definitel another ootion for OP.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles