Polymer or Timber stock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Polymer or Timber stock

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 11:25 am

trekin wrote:Signiture line give you a hint at all?

Nope. Is there supposed to be readable text in that picture?
A link to a website perhaps?[/quote][/quote]

I'll have a look, but you really need a readable sig.
I read a giant R printed to obscure an unreadable word in red printed behind it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2018, 12:54 pm

trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Laminated bamboo addresses all those drawbacks, including looking and feeling like timber.

Who offers lami-bamboo?

Signiture line give you a hint at all?

A link to a website perhaps?[/quote][/quote]

I had a look at your FB page, but it looks like they're completely custom hand-made only?
Doesn't that make them somewhat non-viable in the market for the average hunting rifle?
What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 1:54 pm

Dont worry mate I was able to read it when I looked. Must admit the first time I just thought it was a flag but on closer inspection I googled and found your site.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Justin9mm » 23 May 2018, 4:13 pm

Does anyone know what would be a good looking chassis/stock for a Stainless Steel Barrel/Action?

I recently bought a new Howa 1500 .223 Stainless Steel heavy barrel and came with the cheap standard rubberised black stock. My intention was to upgrade this stock. I think Timber looks good with the Stainless and the black rubber looks good with it but I'm not sold on a Black Tactical style Chassis like the APC, I can't picture what it would look like and might look a little odd and can't find any pics on the net with that combination.

I want something that looks really nice but no idea which way I want to go..

EDIT: This is a 70%-80% Target rifle.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 23 May 2018, 6:17 pm

MDT chassis in FDE looks good with a stainless barrel...to me.

I'm surprised people mention tikka polymer stocks as quality. They are purpose built to be lightweight. But feel as solid as an icecream container.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Townsville shooter » 23 May 2018, 7:41 pm

MontyShooter wrote:MDT chassis in FDE looks good with a stainless barrel...to me.

I'm surprised people mention tikka polymer stocks as quality. They are purpose built to be lightweight. But feel as solid as an icecream container.

My T3X Super Varmint feels pretty solid. Shoots exactly how I expect too.
Townsville shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 May 2018, 7:49 pm

Monty, I hate the look and feel of the Tikka Tupperware stock but it works great, a can of FDE paint made it look less like a murder weapon.
Justin, you can get some stock stabilising goop from Nathan Foster to strengthen that rubber Hogue stock, after that they are pretty good to go hunting with. If you want to spend more money the GRS stocks are excellent if a little slippery, you will need to bed your action. For target only you could get a Manners Tracker.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 24 May 2018, 6:28 am

The synthetic varmint stock on my Tikka T3 Hunter is great; feels solid, and weatherproof. Seems to be pretty durable.

I bought a Boyds polymer Thumbhole stock for the T3(before a mate gave me his Tikka varmint stock), and I had all sorts of bedding issues with it. It felt pretty good to handle, but the rifle didnt seem to like it.
[With a bit of time, I might have been able to bed this stock in properly, and get better groups from it, but I was given the Tikka Varmint stock, so canned that idea]

I bought a polymer stock a few years back, to go onto the old Remington 788 .223 rifle. Damn thing broke in half after about 6 months!

I like the look and feel of wood, but I must admit that my preference for working rifles, is a good polymer stock.

Have you handled a Macmillan polymer stock? Heavy as buggery, but beautiful stocks, and denser than any wood. Expensive as all get-out, but people who have them love them.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 24 May 2018, 6:46 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Laminated bamboo addresses all those drawbacks, including looking and feeling like timber.

Who offers lami-bamboo?

A link to a website perhaps?
[/quote]

I had a look at your FB page, but it looks like they're completely custom hand-made only?
Doesn't that make them somewhat non-viable in the market for the average hunting rifle?
What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?[/quote]
Well, I can assure you that they are not all "completely custom hand-made only". Pm me with what you want done, so as not to hijack this thread. I think that you will be pleasantly surpised with the price.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 May 2018, 6:52 pm

Great looking stocks, do Tactikool stocks come inletted for a drop in fit?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 8:00 am

in2anity wrote:Wood changes over time, by looks beautiful. Polys can be good, but it depends on the rigidity, for example the tikkas or Lithgows are very hard, where that factory hogue stock probably has a bit too much flex in it if your chasing pinpoint accuracy.

Yep. Oils ain't oils and polymers ain't polymers.

Each manufacturer will choose a polymer bases on it's own priorities (some performance, some ecconomics and some varying mix if thed two).

As Brett and others have mentioned: use will govern best choice.

If you go synthetc, choose something rigid. Composites will be stiffer than most polymers. You can always buy an aftermarket stock as well.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 8:06 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Who offers lami-bamboo?

A link to a website perhaps?
[/quote]

What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?[/quote]

Trekin can reproduce your factory stock (or other) in bamboo at a very good price, mate.

Definitel another ootion for OP.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2018, 8:24 am

Gwion wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Trekin can reproduce your factory stock (or other) in bamboo at a very good price, mate.

He has not yet responded to my PM, but it sounds like a good option.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 25 May 2018, 11:52 am

Lithgow have one of the best polymer stocks.
Sako finnlight 2 is awesome. But that's a whole other league in $$
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 25 May 2018, 3:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Monty, I hate the look and feel of the Tikka Tupperware stock but it works great, a can of FDE paint made it look less like a murder weapon.
Justin, you can get some stock stabilising goop from Nathan Foster to strengthen that rubber Hogue stock, after that they are pretty good to go hunting with. If you want to spend more money the GRS stocks are excellent if a little slippery, you will need to bed your action. For target only you could get a Manners Tracker.

Thanks for the advice. I'm after a different look rather than stabilizing the current stock. The GRS stocks look alright but I think you can get better for a bit more money but I also don't want to spend the earth, I'd like to find something between $600-$800.

Also what Mag conversion kit would work with most stocks, I don't want one with a plastic floor plate/trigger guard though.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 25 May 2018, 6:36 pm

Alloy is the best material for stocks everything else is old fashioned
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 6:54 pm

Atlasworxs makes bottom metal for Howa which is compatible with AI magazines. I am not sure what stocks are better than the GRS without being a fair bit dearer. You can find a GRS on special now and again for $500. If you have champagne taste and like chassis a local guy makes some great looking stocks with second to none machining. G&C Precision Development.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 7:04 pm

When you have your flash metal chassis and someone beats you in competition with an old fashion walnut stock you are really going to question your ability or your view of alloy stocks.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2018, 7:20 pm

SCJ429 wrote:When you have your flash metal chassis and someone beats you in competition with an old fashion walnut stock you are really going to question your ability or your view of alloy stocks.

Although my own experience does indicate aluminium chassis do increase precision, the bigger benefit for me is that they make that precision easier to achieve.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 8:16 pm

But you would have to agree at a bench rest shoots at any distance all the competitors are using wood or composite stocks and not chassis. Precision belongs to stocks that track consistently.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2018, 8:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:But you would have to agree at a bench rest shoots at any distance all the competitors are using wood or composite stocks and not chassis. Precision belongs to stocks that track consistently.

I actually couldn't agree as I know little about bench rest. I'm surprised there's any wood around. Aren't they a huge block of steel mounted atop a concrete bench?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 9:50 pm

Even F class stocks are mainly wood, laminate mostly. Not much in group or score shooting stocks is metal. Positional shooters are more likely to use an alloy stocks, for ergonomic reasons. Turn up to a 3P comp with a MDT chassis and some guy with his walnut 1813 will probably show you how it is done.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 26 May 2018, 6:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Gwion wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

He has not yet responded to my PM, but it sounds like a good option.

PM inbound.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 26 May 2018, 6:55 am

SCJ429 wrote:Great looking stocks, do Tactikool stocks come inletted for a drop in fit?

They are inletted, and you can drop your barreled action in, but there are no garantees of a good, solid, accuracy improving fit, which is why I always recommend bedding, both action and pillar. I would recommend this for any after market stock though.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2018, 8:28 am

SCJ429 wrote:Even F class stocks are mainly wood, laminate mostly. Not much in group or score shooting stocks is metal. Positional shooters are more likely to use an alloy stocks, for ergonomic reasons. Turn up to a 3P comp with a MDT chassis and some guy with his walnut 1813 will probably show you how it is done.

I don't take much interest in competition shooting, but I have seen aluminium and glass fibre chassis in F-Class. And I can't recall seeing anything other than aluminium chassis in Precision Rifle. I haven't seen enough 3P, other than milsurps, to recall what sort of rifles they use.

1813 walnut would be smoothbore?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by matto9018 » 26 May 2018, 8:42 am

All my rifles are timber, much prefer it. Only plastic I have is .177 Slug Gun. Timber always been my fav. I always keep an good eye out on good timber one, not plain looking timber. My fav is Tikka in stainless. I'll throw photo up later on.
matto9018
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 May 2018, 8:51 am

F class has a good mix of all of them other than a full on chassis although there are some that certainly look like it eg eliso tube. However the butt stock is really light. Most people try and put as much weight into the barrel as possible while still maintaining a balanced rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 26 May 2018, 9:53 am

F class shooters are usually quite progressive and you see quite a lot of composite stocks, but chassis seem to be the domain of PRS. I never liked the Eliso or other chassis where the rail or mounts are mounted to the stock and not the action. Wood stocks are still used on the most accurate rifles around even if it is considered old fashioned.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles