Polymer or Timber stock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Polymer or Timber stock

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2018, 7:20 pm

SCJ429 wrote:When you have your flash metal chassis and someone beats you in competition with an old fashion walnut stock you are really going to question your ability or your view of alloy stocks.

Although my own experience does indicate aluminium chassis do increase precision, the bigger benefit for me is that they make that precision easier to achieve.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 8:16 pm

But you would have to agree at a bench rest shoots at any distance all the competitors are using wood or composite stocks and not chassis. Precision belongs to stocks that track consistently.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2018, 8:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:But you would have to agree at a bench rest shoots at any distance all the competitors are using wood or composite stocks and not chassis. Precision belongs to stocks that track consistently.

I actually couldn't agree as I know little about bench rest. I'm surprised there's any wood around. Aren't they a huge block of steel mounted atop a concrete bench?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2018, 9:50 pm

Even F class stocks are mainly wood, laminate mostly. Not much in group or score shooting stocks is metal. Positional shooters are more likely to use an alloy stocks, for ergonomic reasons. Turn up to a 3P comp with a MDT chassis and some guy with his walnut 1813 will probably show you how it is done.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 26 May 2018, 6:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Gwion wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
I had a look at your FB page, but it looks like they're completely custom hand-made only?
Doesn't that make them somewhat non-viable in the market for the average hunting rifle?
What would it cost to put a Ruger American into one of these?

Trekin can reproduce your factory stock (or other) in bamboo at a very good price, mate.

Definitel another ootion for OP.

He has not yet responded to my PM, but it sounds like a good option.

PM inbound.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 26 May 2018, 6:55 am

SCJ429 wrote:Great looking stocks, do Tactikool stocks come inletted for a drop in fit?

They are inletted, and you can drop your barreled action in, but there are no garantees of a good, solid, accuracy improving fit, which is why I always recommend bedding, both action and pillar. I would recommend this for any after market stock though.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2018, 8:28 am

SCJ429 wrote:Even F class stocks are mainly wood, laminate mostly. Not much in group or score shooting stocks is metal. Positional shooters are more likely to use an alloy stocks, for ergonomic reasons. Turn up to a 3P comp with a MDT chassis and some guy with his walnut 1813 will probably show you how it is done.

I don't take much interest in competition shooting, but I have seen aluminium and glass fibre chassis in F-Class. And I can't recall seeing anything other than aluminium chassis in Precision Rifle. I haven't seen enough 3P, other than milsurps, to recall what sort of rifles they use.

1813 walnut would be smoothbore?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by matto9018 » 26 May 2018, 8:42 am

All my rifles are timber, much prefer it. Only plastic I have is .177 Slug Gun. Timber always been my fav. I always keep an good eye out on good timber one, not plain looking timber. My fav is Tikka in stainless. I'll throw photo up later on.
matto9018
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 May 2018, 8:51 am

F class has a good mix of all of them other than a full on chassis although there are some that certainly look like it eg eliso tube. However the butt stock is really light. Most people try and put as much weight into the barrel as possible while still maintaining a balanced rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 26 May 2018, 9:53 am

F class shooters are usually quite progressive and you see quite a lot of composite stocks, but chassis seem to be the domain of PRS. I never liked the Eliso or other chassis where the rail or mounts are mounted to the stock and not the action. Wood stocks are still used on the most accurate rifles around even if it is considered old fashioned.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles