Flimsy stock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Flimsy stock

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 May 2018, 2:47 pm

Finally got my bipod fitted to my 7mm mag yesterday
Took it out to try and it was shooting 1.5'' to the right didn't know why because it was perfect the day before
So I decided to take the pod off and check the rifle on my shooting frame and bingo perfect, so I put the pod back on and 1.5'' right again
So I took the pod off and measured the float under the barrel and it was 2mm, so put the pod back on and 2mm again
Being a little confused I sat the rifle down on the tailgate of the hilux and measured the float again and the barrel was touching the stock
So looking at it now I can't use the bipod on the 7mm because the stock is so soft it can be pushed in any direction with little effort up to .25
of an inch
The gun is a pretty new sako rangetech and the stocks are rubbish Beretta would be better putting wood stocks on them instead of synthetic
ones as they only come in synthetic at the moment
The mechanics of the rifle are good, all the problems have been stock problems so far
I think Beretta is starting to loose ground with the reliable and trustworthy name of the Sako brand
Beretta is putting out cheaper versions of sako in synthetic stocks for a higher price
I'm a sako person or was but after my last three sako rifles I am open to other brands as the sako had to have too much done on them to be the old
type sako tough and reliable

All the clear peeled off my 22-250 within 6mths ,dealers and sako didn't want to know about it and its still like that today so I've given up trying and
getting BS feed back from Beretta
I personally think Beretta is going to out price themselves due to the quality of the firearms they demand high prices for so I for one will never buy a
synthetic stocked rifle from them again only to have to change the stock to have it shoot to what I require
Member-Deleted

Re: Flimsy stock

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2018, 2:55 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Finally got my bipod fitted to my 7mm mag yesterday
Took it out to try and it was shooting 1.5'' to the right didn't know why because it was perfect the day before
So I decided to take the pod off and check the rifle on my shooting frame and bingo perfect, so I put the pod back on and 1.5'' right again
So I took the pod off and measured the float under the barrel and it was 2mm, so put the pod back on and 2mm again
Being a little confused I sat the rifle down on the tailgate of the hilux and measured the float again and the barrel was touching the stock
So looking at it now I can't use the bipod on the 7mm because the stock is so soft it can be pushed in any direction with little effort up to .25 of an inch

This is the same as my experience with the Ruger American poly stocks, fine rested on anything, but hang the bipod on the end and PoI moves. I put another swivel in just ahead of the magazine which fixed the problem. Then I put them into aluminium chassis which threw that problem right out the window.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 May 2018, 3:11 pm

Yeah that would work but I've had enough of tinkering with them i'll stick to using the old bag I've had for years
The question is why do they put the swivel point where it is if its no good to put a bipod onto they would save money by not putting it in at all
Then there's the softness of the stock what were they thinking other than making money from the least outlay
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2018, 3:51 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah that would work but I've had enough of tinkering with them i'll stick to using the old bag I've had for years
The question is why do they put the swivel point where it is if its no good to put a bipod onto they would save money by not putting it in at all
Then there's the softness of the stock what were they thinking other than making money from the least outlay

Is the poly stock significantly cheaper on the Sako? Maybe they're just trying to sell rifles cheaper knowing that the buyers are going to replace the stocks anyway? The new budget rifles from Ruger, Savage, Howa, Remington, et al that shoot sub-MoA straight out of their boxes must be putting a dent in the higher-priced rifles' sales. It used to be that you paid more money because it got you better performance, now it just gets you better aesthetics.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 May 2018, 4:34 pm

That's the pits. Sakos are expensive. Do you need the bipod for hunting?. If you do maybe try shooting sticks. They work for me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2018, 4:56 pm

Nathan Foster from Terminal Ballistic Research sell synthetic stock stabilising compound that will fix your problems. You can watch his podcast to show you how to do it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 27 May 2018, 6:43 pm

you can reinforce the forend with fibreglass bog and a steel rod, I have done quite a few
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... -500g/3151
the hardest part is to scratch up or burn keys into the inside of the forearm so the bog or what ever doesn't pop out
after doing this the full action needs devcon bedding to stiffen up the action
but no matter what you stiffen it up with it will always flex at the wrist
the only way to shoot it is off a rest or change the stock
your rifle is not a bump into and bang at short distance rig so it really needs stable bedding to shoot its best :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 May 2018, 7:39 pm

Yeah marksman i'm out to 650-700yds comfortable now hitting a 16'' gong but put the pod on and can't even hit a small fridge door
I think the only thing to do is use it as it is on a bag until or if I can afford a new stock later
The barrel has already been glass bedded and the rifle has been putting 5 shots into a ten cent piece put the pod on and it moves to2-21/2''
I've been looking at the GRS stocks but they're pricy and i'll need a stock to compliment the sako brand rifle

Oldbloke yes I have sticks but since I've had my knees done I don't get far from the car and thought a small bipod would be good to shoot off an esky in
the back of the hilux but didn't think the stock was so soft
Also the stock reacts to temp ,today I had the rifle on the back seat in its bag in the sun and when I took the rifle out I checked the stock and it was touching
the side of the barrel it had twisted and that's 3mm away so I sat the rifle in the shade and it took 22min to return to the barrel being central

I'll have to spend the next few months finding out which stocks will fit the sako rangetech and set about trying to get one because the way it is now
I can't get full use out of it and can't trust it at distance on animals
Thanks all for your comments they won't be lost on me I have a good ear
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 27 May 2018, 8:13 pm

may not be any good and may not work, I have only just bought one off ebay, have not tried it yet but might be worth a think about
www.midwayusa.com/product/208254/bog-po ... rest-black
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 May 2018, 8:27 pm

marksman wrote:may not be any good and may not work, I have only just bought one off ebay, have not tried it yet but might be worth a think about
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/208254 ... rest-black

+1. Or this.

https://youtu.be/8L2Kgmvs_PY
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 27 May 2018, 8:35 pm

I am a fan of Hatchers Stocks I know there not for everyone. It was a bit daunting at first but one step at a time I shaped it and it turned out really good, off course I would like to get another one and change a few little things and also know how to go about things a bit better. I was doing a real lot of shaping and in-letting though and most of his stocks just require a tweak or simply sanding and finishing.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles