New Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22WMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Another new toy

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

thanks for the info and compliments stix. the old girl is a real good shooter. it's not even bedded mate ! was thinking about 24gr of bm 2 with nosler 50gr bt's. ADI powder is hit and miss for me. seems to work well with the 40's but . the old weaver scope that came with it is a cracking bit of gear. looks and works great on my old swede mauser :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Aug 2018, 8:59 pm

Shoot a ladder at 2 or 300 to find the load with BM2...(?)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 4:35 am

Will do Stix. I’m finding 222 to be one of the most accurate and easy to load for calibers. I reckon it’ll have a resurgence like the hornet has.not that it’s probably ever fallen out of favour with serious gun nuts anyway. 222 has it’s own dedicated forum now apparently. Go the 222 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2018, 12:16 pm

Yes 222 its a nice little round rich...it was big with the benchresters in its day...but with the cost & availability of 223 for average hunting rifles, id safely say the 222 has seen its peak mate... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 12:29 pm

Yeh Stix , thanks to American obsessions with ar15’s . 223 ammo is dirt cheap. From a reloading, easy accuracy point of view 222 is awesome. I’m won over on it . But I like all the old stuff. Me old mate stoney reckons he wouldn’t be supprised to see me hunt with a muzzle loader :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Aug 2018, 2:11 pm

bigrich wrote:Will do Stix. I’m finding 222 to be one of the most accurate and easy to load for calibers. I reckon it’ll have a resurgence like the hornet has.not that it’s probably ever fallen out of favour with serious gun nuts anyway. 222 has it’s own dedicated forum now apparently. Go the 222 :thumbsup:

+1 :drinks: its a great little round
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 3:46 pm

marksman wrote:
bigrich wrote:Will do Stix. I’m finding 222 to be one of the most accurate and easy to load for calibers. I reckon it’ll have a resurgence like the hornet has.not that it’s probably ever fallen out of favour with serious gun nuts anyway. 222 has it’s own dedicated forum now apparently. Go the 222 :thumbsup:

+1 :drinks: its a great little round

any preference for powder and projectiles MM ? i'm looking at general use as a walk around ,foxes,dogs,cats, goats. just have too really pick my shots with the dogs and goats. got some hornady 50 gr sp's, was gunna get some bench mark 2 like stix suggested . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2018, 6:41 pm

I know you didnt ask me, but If you're including goats in the game range for the 222 id stick to the heavier end...from 55's.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 8:15 pm

will test to see how 55's work in my rifle stix ole mate. if 50's are more accurate i would stick with those .have heard some 55's work in 222, some don't. you got a brand recommendation for 55's stix ? would be really picking my shots with 50's in that instance but. head/neck at reasonable range. goats are like fish in a barrel at times where i go. don't really cull them out, more just a nice day out in the high country to get some good meat for the freezer. bit like my attitude to fishing, i only take what i can use/need. unless it's a nasty feral, cat ,fox dog etc :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

well i couldn't help myself. i bought another toy :P iv'e bin searching for a scrub/ute gun, something compact , quick to point with good firepower.i've tried lever guns by marlin and winchester in 30-30, a CVA break-action scout in 45-70 and they weren't quite the versatile all-rounder i was looking for (i still regret selling my 1974 made model '94 but ), but i think i've finally found it. i got a second hand ruger gunsite in 308 win. straight up it reminds me of a 303 jungle carbine. mine has the 18 inch barrel (no flash hider ), after removing the front site (it's held in place by a roll pin) it seems to shoot a bit tighter. i bought a 5 shot poly mag in place of the steel 10 round mag. the main reason i did this is remembering 10 shot mags on 22's i had years ago used to catch on stuff, branches seat belts and such. as it's 308 win, i didn't want to under scope it with the 1.5-4x20 scope i had off my 45-70, so i did some trading for a 2-7x33 leupold. at 4 power the feild of vision is the same as the smaller scope. if i go that low in magnification in a scope again i'll get a leupold vx-5 with a red dot in it. the trigger on this rifle has already been tweaked and the scout scope rail removed and screw holes plugged. i got some ammo in the deal with my local gun shop, federal 130 gr eagle hp's. at the range this rifle had great trigger feel and good accuracy as the pics show. it's very pointable , the laminate stock is heavier than a plastic one,although it's 6.6 pound without scope, but in combination with the good recoil pad, it's got pleasant kick for what it is. i had the gun shop add a spacer to increase length of pull for me. this is a great feature on this rifle. with the solid s/steel ruger made controled feed mauser action and barrel, i reckon i've got the "one rifle" for just about every situation. reloads with 180 gr could prove interesting ;) :thumbsup: would absolutely recommend one of these rugers :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0134[1].JPG
the gunsite ruger
IMG_0134[1].JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5304 times
IMG_0135[1].JPG
100 yards with federal 130gr hp's
IMG_0135[1].JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5304 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: New Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22WMR

Post by bigrich » 04 Sep 2018, 11:47 am

Damn. Clicked on the wrong thing for the post above. :wtf: must’ve just seen “ruger “. Let that be a lesson to the rest of youse, don’t drink and post :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles