Thoughts on to build or buy out the box .223 target rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Thoughts on to build or buy out the box .223 target rifl

Post by nightforcenxs » 03 Jun 2018, 1:36 pm

i have a tikka t3 varmint in the mdt hs3 chassis in 308 and it shoots great i even shot the 300m fly and came 11th with it using a bipod and caldwell rear bag with ZMAX projectiles or try a howa couple of people were shooting the 6.5 creed in howa varmint and still holding good groups at 300m
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2018, 1:57 pm

Was that a 300 or 500 Fly shoot? What sized groups are you getting? What was your load for 168 grain ZMax?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Jun 2018, 3:20 pm

IMO its totally up to you
I have seen the consistency from factory rifles that you expect from a custom
there are plenty of rifles out there that would make a good range plinker
your choice of 223 is a good one because of barrel life but it wont shoot in wind, I would look at a 6mm
and this is what I would advise you you think about for what you are going to do,
http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=123474
complete package, everything there that will have the same barrel life as a 223, better accuracy, as cheap to feed, and will shoot in the wind
what I would look at anyway :thumbsup:

I would try and get the price down a bit though :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 03 Jun 2018, 3:42 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Was that a 300 or 500 Fly shoot? What sized groups are you getting? What was your load for 168 grain ZMax?

it was the 300 fly shoot i was getting just over 2 inch groups and the odd stray one from the wind being so bad on the day even the experienced shooters were getting caught out my groups suffered because i was shivering from being cold i also couldnt feel my finger on the trigger to well i had no wind flags out at all because i dont own any so i had to look at the flags 3 benches down and guess on wind change also i havnt done a load development yet so i ran the old load data that shot good in my brothers rifle which was .5 grain more then minimum charge of 2208 and 10 thou off lands only shot 300m 4 times now i know its alot of excuses but this was my real time experience on the day
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 3:58 pm

:D When you shoot comp there are no stray ones. You have to own every shot you send and make it count. perhaps not so much in bench rest (you can have another sighter mid string) but certainly F-Class typically 15min to shoot 2 sighters and 10 more for score, you can keep your sighters if you wish. Not finished in time shots not fired are counted as a 0. Puts the pressure on to take shots in conditions you may rather not shoot in.
As for the semi autos there was a comment on the board recently that the antis dont know the power that a bolt action has. That is very true even I shooting a 308 off a bipod can back on target and another round away in about 20 seconds. My rifle can get up to one target off due to recoil, if held tight I can mostly stay on target. Some guys with lower recoiling rifles off rests are sub 10 seconds and hitting the centre 1/3 moa and less at 600yrds plus.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Loveitorleave » 03 Jun 2018, 5:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the different views and advice, what a great forum!
I've gone with the tikka sporter from magnum sports for $1850. Just cannot beat it at that price.
Thank you again everyone, muchly appreciated.
Loveitorleave
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 03 Jun 2018, 7:33 pm

Loveitorleave wrote:Thanks everyone for the different views and advice, what a great forum!
I've gone with the tikka sporter from magnum sports for $1850. Just cannot beat it at that price.

thats awesome you wont be disappointed in the purchase.

also SCJ429 i went and measured my groups best group was 1.2 inches on the 300m flyshoot the rest were all average around 2 inches
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jun 2018, 7:31 am

Good choice mate. You won’t be disappointed with the Tikka.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jun 2018, 9:34 am

Well done, a 1.2 inch group at 300 is awesome and the rest at around two inches in excellent also. It is easy to get blown from one side of the target to the other. I have seen dedicated bench rifles shoot worse.
Funny to hear that you were cold in QLD, I was at the range last night and you could see your breath. It pays to be part of the target detail to see what the wind is doing downrange too.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 04 Jun 2018, 11:51 am

SCJ429 wrote:Well done, a 1.2 inch group at 300 is awesome and the rest at around two inches in excellent also. It is easy to get blown from one side of the target to the other. I have seen dedicated bench rifles shoot worse.
Funny to hear that you were cold in QLD, I was at the range last night and you could see your breath. It pays to be part of the target detail to see what the wind is doing downrange too.

yer on one or two of the targets i held centre and didnt see the wind change and it went 4 inches to the left on me.. and about being cold in qld i havnt bothered to get a new jumper so my old one is kinda thin :lol: plus i was under the concrete building at belmont was ment to be 8 degrees colder under there but ill prepare better next time :D
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2018, 12:25 pm

Loveitorleave wrote:Thanks everyone for the different views and advice, what a great forum!

Nice one mate.
If you get a chance, take some detailed pics and write up your impressions and a bit of a range report. It's good to have first hand info available on various firearms on the forum.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Centerfire rifles