Lithgow .223 load recommendations

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lithgow .223 load recommendations

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 21 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

Hey all, I am looking at getting a Lithgow .223 in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone had some load recommendations. For factory ammo and running in I'll be using ADI Aussie Outback with the 69gr HPBTs, I will also load some leftover projectiles to the standard length. I'm thinking going 75gr either AMAX or ELD-M, do you guys think that's stretching the capabilities of the 1:9 twist a little too far?
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Lithgow .223 load recommendations

Post by Apollo » 21 Aug 2017, 11:41 am

I have done quite a bit of load testing for a 1:9 Twist Howa 1500 and CZ 527 Varmint Rifles looking for a Target round.

Going over 70gr bullet weight I found that they were just not stable enough with the 1:9 Twist, especially something like the 75gr Berger VLD which is also just too long.

The ideal bullets I was happy with were Sierra 69gr and Berger 70gr VLD. Two rifles performed best with the Berger 70gr VLD using AR2208 @ 23.5gr with CCI BR4 Primers. The powder weight range is 23.5 to 25.9gr max. The higher I went with powder loads the more the groups opened up BUT every rifle/barrel is different. Lapua cases. Close to maximum loads are compressed and needed a Drop Tube to relieve the powder crush.

All testing was done at 200 metres. Bullets were seated at maximum magazine length.

BTW The most accurate loads tested were using Berger 55gr FB Varmint bullets. Benchmark 2 @ 24.8gr with Remington 7 1/2 Primers and this is the typical varmint load we use.

Hope this helps a little.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 21 Aug 2017, 11:46 am

thanks mate, I'm actually selling my howa (weatherby vanguard specifically) for money for the Lithgow. I am now thinking closer to the 70 grain projectile mark, thanks
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 21 Aug 2017, 1:36 pm

If you really wanted to run the 75gr Amax, you probably have to buy a Tikka with factory 1:8 twist.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition