308 loading advice

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 308 loading advice

Post by in2anity » 14 Apr 2019, 9:09 pm

TassieTiger wrote:When I do a session of reloading, I was taught to fire the very first shot literally from the hip, just in case... unknown barrel damage, or a vauge out with powder no’s, or what ever...

Not a bad idea - I always cringe a little for the first of those prototype loads...
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Ziad » 14 Apr 2019, 9:31 pm

My suggestion yes. Deprime. Trim, debur and chamfer and then probably resize the necks again.

Having longer length means you crimping your projectiles can increase pressure and make it hard to extract depending on your chamber
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2019, 6:06 pm

Sako 85 wrote:Hi everyone,
Im just getting another lot of ammo ready to test and i have sized and primed 40 cases and have realized that i forgot to trim the cases. Should i deprime the cases and trim them? They all cycle through the rifle and measure between 2.017 and 2.020.
Will the untrimmed cases effect the accuracy of my test

Looks like its ok to me.

If you check saami.org Looks like length is

2.015 to 2.020
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Apr 2019, 6:32 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
tom604 wrote:Hey Tassie,why from the hip? im thinking its a figure of speech and you mean discount the first shot?? 1st shot from a clean barrel/fouler ??

When I do a session of reloading, I was taught to fire the very first shot literally from the hip, just in case... unknown barrel damage, or a vauge out with powder no’s, or what ever...

Nothing says confidence in reloading methods quite like "shoot from the hip, just in case your gun explodes" :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.

on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition