.55 boys reload data

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.55 boys reload data

Post by SAHWM » 28 Feb 2020, 6:42 pm

Hi, Newby. Powder load suggestions for the Boys .55 AT rifle CCi 35 Primers in reformed 50 BMG cases, Pill Wt 755 Grains. Powder H50BMG. Any balanced load suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers Jon.
SAHWM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: .55 boys reload data

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Feb 2020, 7:08 pm

Can you start with the BMG data and work up?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Feb 2020, 8:09 pm

Can you measue how many grains of water the case holds? I can run it through QikLoad and get you a starting point. If it's an original then it's probably 80yrs old and hopefully a gunsmith has checked the condition. The boys wasn't very popular in its day, only 3 years of production and many units dumped then in favour of the BMG. Still a very interesting rifle though.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SAHWM » 28 Feb 2020, 11:37 pm

Hi Guys..appreciate your input..very prompt. Brett, I`ll weigh the cart`s w/water tomorrow and let you know. I`ll be stretching the brass/fire forming and I ask myself why waste the loads...somebody must have gone down a similar path already. The rifle is absolutely mint, not even a stain on the bolt head...it just says try me! There is so much conflicting info..even bullet sizes, I think a lot of info is Wikipedia inspired and unchecked.Dangerous info .I`ve bought 100 Bertram pills to fire form the cases and I`m CNC`ing 370 Copper jobs for when all is ready to roll. Cheers Jon.
SAHWM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Feb 2020, 8:27 am

Nice to have a CNC machine at home, must get myself one of those.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SAHWM » 29 Feb 2020, 11:18 am

brett1868 wrote:Can you measue how many grains of water the case holds? I can run it through QikLoad and get you a starting point. If it's an original then it's probably 80yrs old and hopefully a gunsmith has checked the condition. The boys wasn't very popular in its day, only 3 years of production and many units dumped then in favour of the BMG. Still a very interesting rifle though.

Hi Brett, I calculate an original Boys case as holding 320.99 grains and a 50 BMG unsized as 304.0175 grains. If I average = 312.5075 grains. Bullet mean diameter = .562".
I have two powders available AR2218 and H50BMG.
Thanks Jon.
SAHWM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition