Good News on Primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Nov 2022, 9:39 pm

"Transport has stopped period, I can't order ammo from anywhere, even having it delivered to my dealer for collection.
Perhaps ask the gunshop that you posted why they can't transport DG anywhere when you believe they can?"

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!

bladeracer

I never said that. I said it's being transported to LGSs.
Treat trolls with the contempt they deserve.
Reminder. I am of average intelligence, therefore 50% of people are dumber than me.
Member. NSC, SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 9744
Victoria

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by JohnV » 29 Nov 2022, 6:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Yes one pallet ain't gonna last long, you need a few shipping containers of them.

Pretty sad there is no commercial transport of ammo or primers, that is crazy.

Here in the USA we are even getting primers now from Argentina. I guess they are made in some government arsenal there.


I think transport is due to our tiny market, combined with some difficult "safety" laws (we can easily transport other stuff that most people would consider far riskier than ammo or primers). There's not a large enough market for more than one company to bother maintaining the licences required, and since they (TNT) pulled out last year no other company has so far decided to fill the gap, hardly surprising when there was hardly any ammo or primers around to be transported anyway. Rimfire ammo supply has improved this year though (I have no idea if centrefire rifle/pistol ammo even had any issues here as I don't use it). When we start seeing powders and primers being made and/or imported in useful quantities hopefully the market will pick up enough to entice somebody to take it on again.

Yeah it was ok for the NSW Government to transport tons of nuclear material from the UK through Sydney street to Lucas Heights but to move a few tins of powder and primers is so dangerous . Sick twisted society . ADI promised that sales to the US would never cause shortages in Australia . Lies .
JohnV
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 664
New South Wales

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by bladeracer » 29 Nov 2022, 7:14 pm

JohnV wrote:ADI promised that sales to the US would never cause shortages in Australia . Lies .


Are you suggesting that ADI is producing pistol and shotgun powders and shipping it all to the US?
There has been no shortage of rifle powders that I'm aware of, though they did say they were going to reduce production of some of the more exotic rifle powders - I don't use enough of those powders to have noticed if there's a shortage. Has there been any shortage of ADI ammunition on the shelves?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11628
Victoria

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
.
And that's why life is hard
User avatar
Lazarus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 859
New South Wales

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by JohnV » 30 Nov 2022, 11:47 am

Since the US started replacing it's military ammunition supplies post Afghanistan etc. ADI powders have been hard to find at my gun shops . I think the US is buying more than it has in the past . It all coincided with projectile and primer shortages and covid may be making things worse . I have a friend in Elpaso Texas and he tells me back in 2021 that is he had no trouble buying Varget powder which we all know is ADI AR2208 . So why did I have trouble buying it ??? The US is a huge market that buys in bulk and if you don't supply their needs 100% they go elsewhere .
JohnV
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 664
New South Wales

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by bladeracer » 30 Nov 2022, 1:13 pm

JohnV wrote:Since the US started replacing it's military ammunition supplies post Afghanistan etc. ADI powders have been hard to find at my gun shops . I think the US is buying more than it has in the past . It all coincided with projectile and primer shortages and covid may be making things worse . I have a friend in Elpaso Texas and he tells me back in 2021 that is he had no trouble buying Varget powder which we all know is ADI AR2208 . So why did I have trouble buying it ??? The US is a huge market that buys in bulk and if you don't supply their needs 100% they go elsewhere .


I haven't seen any shortage of AR2206H or AR2208 - I specifically asked about both of these four weeks ago when I had to drive to a dealer an hour away to collect some ammo I'd ordered, he had heaps of all the common ADI rifle powders. He did say that he prefers not to tell general customers how much he has as they might just buy the lot and he'll have nothing for his regular customers. Same with primers, he keeps a few thousand on the shelf but most of it is tucked out back to stop a single buyer grabbing the lot.

The local "shortage" might just be that your dealers haven't had time to go and collect a batch from the nearest source.

As far as I know ADI is still pumping rifle powders out as fast as they can. Yes, they have contracts to fill overseas but they are also supplying locally. Because we can't ship powder in Australia it requires that somebody has to go and collect it from wherever the distributor is able to move it to. My dealer had to drive to Melbourne every couple months to collect his powder supplies. As individuals we can legally transport powder, we just can't do it commercially.

Tell your dealer what rifle powder you want and how much and he should be able to get it for you without any trouble. If you can't get it locally and don't mind travelling, order it down here and I'll collect it and hold it until you can make a trip down - but I'm 4-5hrs from the NSW border. If you come down the eastern route there's plenty of Victorian bush to explore to make it worthwhile.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11628
Victoria

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by Lazarus » 30 Nov 2022, 5:29 pm

Plenty of 06H around here too, never use anything else so I wouldn't know about them.
Feckall use without primers anyway, down to my last 100 :crazy:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
.
And that's why life is hard
User avatar
Lazarus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 859
New South Wales

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by JohnV » 08 Dec 2022, 8:18 am

Back in 2021 Shooters in Victoria were getting a better supply because it's made in Victoria , exactly the same deal with paper goods during covid because it's made in Victoria . We had shortages Victoria and SA had plenty . If you only have one place to buy powder they can sell out quickly leaving nothing fro others . We need ADI to start another manufacturing plant in NSW because what's happening at times is not fair .
JohnV
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 664
New South Wales

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2022, 12:06 pm

JohnV wrote:Back in 2021 Shooters in Victoria were getting a better supply because it's made in Victoria , exactly the same deal with paper goods during covid because it's made in Victoria . We had shortages Victoria and SA had plenty . If you only have one place to buy powder they can sell out quickly leaving nothing for others . We need ADI to start another manufacturing plant in NSW because what's happening at times is not fair .


Which ADI rifle powders were in short supply in Vic in 2021? Are you in a remote area of the state perhaps?

There is zero likelihood of ADI, or anybody else, building another facility unless we went into a big war that demanded much, much higher production, and civilians would see none of it. The civilian market here barely warrants having one facility. We have at least ten times more civilian shooters than we have in our entire armed forces. What we need is what may be starting already, companies importing other powders, but expect imported powders to be more expensive.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11628
Victoria

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by rc42 » 08 Dec 2022, 6:09 pm

JohnV wrote:... We need ADI to start another manufacturing plant in NSW because what's happening at times is not fair .


Fast powder for pistols and shotguns is a tiny fraction of the market here and the entire propellant powder market in Australia isn't very large anyway.

This means that nobody is going to invest in a new manufacturing plant just for fast powder, even for rifle powder which ADI is currently making at full capacity and turning a nice profit as they do.

Tigershark were very successful importing 450kg of powder from Europe this year and are hoping to import another 5,000kg next year, all they need to do is find enough approved bulk storage locations to assist distribution for us lucky QLDers.
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 756
Queensland

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2022, 3:45 pm

rc42 wrote:
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.


actually , i heard the big C got that order of alliant powder , and some new mob in WA approached them to buy it . the big C gave them a stupid price, not expecting them to pay it , but they did . so the whole lot was sent to WA and we saw none of it :huh:
User avatar
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 4100
Queensland

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2022, 4:06 pm

bigrich wrote:
rc42 wrote:
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.


actually , i heard the big C got that order of alliant powder , and some new mob in WA approached them to buy it . the big C gave them a stupid price, not expecting them to pay it , but they did . so the whole lot was sent to WA and we saw none of it :huh:


So Alliant powders are plentiful in WA?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11628
Victoria

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2022, 5:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
rc42 wrote:
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.


actually , i heard the big C got that order of alliant powder , and some new mob in WA approached them to buy it . the big C gave them a stupid price, not expecting them to pay it , but they did . so the whole lot was sent to WA and we saw none of it :huh:


So Alliant powders are plentiful in WA?


dunno bout that ....... :D

what really annoys me is the rediculous prices some scalpers are try to sell pistol powder online for but :thumbsdown:
User avatar
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 4100
Queensland

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Dec 2022, 5:36 pm

bigrich wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
rc42 wrote:
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.


actually , i heard the big C got that order of alliant powder , and some new mob in WA approached them to buy it . the big C gave them a stupid price, not expecting them to pay it , but they did . so the whole lot was sent to WA and we saw none of it :huh:


So Alliant powders are plentiful in WA?


dunno bout that ....... :D

what really annoys me is the rediculous prices some scalpers are try to sell pistol powder online for but :thumbsdown:



Thieves, scum, spiders, just taking advantage of fellow shooters. Of low character, don't belong in the sport.
Treat trolls with the contempt they deserve.
Reminder. I am of average intelligence, therefore 50% of people are dumber than me.
Member. NSC, SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 9744
Victoria

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by Marlin44 » 24 Jan 2023, 3:05 pm

Suprised to see some F100 primers at Caboolture Firearms yesterday. They are just north of brisvegas
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 25
Queensland

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by wanneroo » 25 Jan 2023, 1:28 am

Well the primer situation is improving over here but prices are marked up high and demand is still high despite prices.

Remington primers are definitely back in production.

The Fiocchi primer plant in Arkansas is under construction and when open will be producing billions of primers a year.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1194
United States of America

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by rc42 » 25 Jan 2023, 10:36 pm

Only Federal match and CCI BR4 small primers seem to be available in Brisbane recently but typically priced from $200 to $250 per 1000
Some places are getting occasional deliveries of Fiocchi primers too, when available, these are lower priced and work nicely.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 756
Queensland

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Reloading ammunition